Contributor
dimples2x
0 Kudos

Nookcolor keeps on freezing and restarting (crash?)

[ Edited ]

The very first time I turned on my Nookcolor, I was very excited and started exploring all the "extras" (never mind the book feature, duh, it's an e-reader, it's supposed to excel on that!).. a few minutes later, I put it down, and then the device went into "sleep" mode. However, once I rebooted it, it suddenly froze.. no amount of tapping on the screen or on the "n" hard button will recover it! I tried charging it for a good half an hour but still, nothing.  :smileyindifferent:

Imagine how nervous I was... I haven't even read a single book yet and it's already showing signs of going dead? Alas, I gathered up the courage, and as what I would do to any non-responsive computer at my work place, I held down the power button to forcefully turn it off (c'mon, us non-geeks will be very very hesitant on doing that on our own computers, right?!).

I thought the hard reset was going to fix it... but I thought wrong! My Nookcolor restarted, went into the splash screen (you know, the screen where you have to slide to unlock... idk what else to call it)... But, once in the home page, I try to go to the Library, Settings, Web, Extras, anywhere... but it keeps kicking me out of those sections and back to the Home Page! After a few seconds, it freezes again and then, restarts by itself! This freeze-restart kept on going, as I go hysteric and irritated and kept swearing I'll immediatley return my Nookcolor the very next day! Then, I though I"ll hold the power button again once I'm on the Home Page. Finally, for the very first time, I saw a confirmation message asking if I want to turn off my device. I selected "Yes" and it turned off for good!

I charged my Nookcolor for a good 4 hours (was lazy to check the manual or go online to see how long I should plug it to get a full charge... but 3 hours should be enough, right?). I didn't see the freeze-restart problem since then (yes, I still have it... again, too lazy to go back to BestBuy where I bought it!).. However, I get frequent freezes while listening to Pandora and while browsing the web, and sometimes while turning a page when reading a book. :smileyindifferent:

I still have 2 weeks to return this... the freeze is really annoying. Hmmmm.... I should re-send this very long post to Customer Service! If I'm not satisfied with their reply and if I don't hear of any news where they address this freezing issue, I will immediately return this for sure and maybe buy it back when this annoying issue is fixed or when the product's supposed to already come with the "latest updates --- Android 2.2 (?) and apps market" already installed!!!

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Re: Nookcolor keeps on freezing and restarting (crash?)

Your initial problems may have been because you didn't let it charge long enough out of the box to "behave".

As far as the "kicked back to the home screen" issue is concerned, just confirm that you aren't inadvertently touching any screen buttons. The touch screen requires only a light touch. I've noticed mine react to very close proximity of my finger. So, paws off unless you mean it! :smileyhappy: That may not be the issue in your case, but just checking.... :smileywink:

However if it's still freezing (and not reacting even to the 'n' button) after doing routine operations, then I would return it for another. That would truly be flaky.

Contributor
tecup
0 Kudos

Hi,

I had the same problem last night.  I couldn't turn it off completely or stop it from freezing and rebooting, so I let it play itself out.  In the morning all the power had been used.  I plugged it in and let it charge fully.  It worked fine today but I will be watching for it to happen again.  I hope not as I really enjoy the Nook Color.

Contributor
dimples2x
0 Kudos

So annoying, right? I'm pretty sad, too... just in case the one I've got happens to be the "bad apple" in the bunch, I'm going to go back to the store and demand for an exchange!  :smileymad:

hmmmm... apple.... makes me wanna buy the iPad instead! I can use Nook and Kindle apps, and have more flexibility in the book selections! YEY! :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

You might want to visit the Apple iPad Discussions forum before assuming that all things Apple are perfect.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

dimples2x, how did you do your "hard reset"? Did you do the one where you touch the confirmation on the pop-up, or did you do the real hard shutdown (press and hold power, ignore everything, until the thing just shuts off)?

Contributor
HTimothy
0 Kudos

Sounds like the first one I got. I called customer service and they sent me a new one. No problems since. CS was very accommodating. 

Contributor
dimples2x
0 Kudos

to do the hard reset, I pressed and held the power button until the things shuts off completely.

Contributor
dimples2x
0 Kudos

clarification : I liked the Apple iPad mainly because I can use download and read both Kindle AND Nook books!

Contributor
dimples2x
0 Kudos

How's your Nook Color behaving now? Are you still haveing the same problem? I took it with me to a trip recently and it kept doing that! So annoying, I wasn;t able to use it at all during my trip. =(  So, I guess that's it... I'll be returning it tomorrow and wait until B&N dev acknowledges and fixes this problem! =/

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Why not just take it in for an exchange--not all of the Nookcolors do this.  Mine has worked perfectly from day one right out of the box.  If I had one that was doing what yours did, I would have gone back immediately and exchanged it.  They have been very good at the stores about doing exchanges.  I am guessing that even B&N has expected that some units would have issues being that it is such a new device, and they have seemed more than happy to do exchanges and work with the customers.

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis