Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Power cord problems?

I had ordered a second power cord. Didn't absolutely have to have it but it would be very convenient to have since I may be in either of two places when the Nook requires charging. The order was back-ordered...release date 4/30/2011. No problem. Don't understand but , no problem.

Yesterday I received notice that B&N had summarily cancelled this order. No explanation. They simply cancelled a perfectly valid order.

What gives?

New User
rocky_cruiser
0 Kudos

Re: Power cord problems?

Suggest you direct order from a B&N store and not from the website.  I ran into this problem two weeks ago and just ordered from the nearest store to me...no B&N in my town.

Frequent Contributor
NookwormNY
0 Kudos

The B&N website does not list a price for the accessory power cord, which means they don't have any in stock. I do know that the cords have suffered from endemic problems with the connector coming apart. Unfortunately, there's no charging light on the NC itself, as there is on the Classic Nook, so an off-brand (any standard USB->micro USB will fit) won't show if/when it's fully charged. You can search local stores from the web site to see if they have any in stock to pick up or ship out directly.

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

The nearest store is about 100 miles. Books a Milion and Best Buy both sell the NC package but don't have the accessories.

Are you saying that they will soon stop the sale of NC because they don't have any power cords? Seems strange. Are you also saying that if my cord breaks down, I've got a $250 pice of junk? I can't imagine how B&N expects to survive this kind of position.

I have a Classic Nook too. Can the power cord from it be used to charge the Color Nook? I realize I'd give up the charging indicator but when I leave it all night, it'll charge. My concern would be the electrical specifications.

Thanks.

Eric

Frequent Contributor
NookwormNY
0 Kudos

Fear not. NC is here to stay. B&N is temporarily out of stock on extra chargers. At $24.95 for the charger/cord it's no bargain. e-Bay has a number of OEM chargers that will do the trick...for $8.99. Or you can use your Classic charger. Just remember, unlike the Classic, you can't charge the NC from a USB port - only with a plug in power supply.

Reader 4
FacEngRet
0 Kudos

Looks like I got lucky, I ordered 2 cables on Saturday and they shipped on Monday. They are now scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I hope they are of better quality than the original!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

NookwormNY wrote:

Fear not. NC is here to stay. B&N is temporarily out of stock on extra chargers. At $24.95 for the charger/cord it's no bargain. e-Bay has a number of OEM chargers that will do the trick...for $8.99. Or you can use your Classic charger. Just remember, unlike the Classic, you can't charge the NC from a USB port - only with a plug in power supply.

You're absolutely wrong on all counts.

The NC requires a 2A charger, a standard (read $8.99 eBay) USB charger only supplies 1/2 an amp. which is exactly what a USB port on a computer supplies.

You CAN charge the NC via a USB port or via a chepie charger...it just takes a really LONG time to do so.

The NC's USB cord is not a typical USB micro cord.   The end that plugs into your NC has two extra pins that also supply power to the NC for charging.    Thus, trying to use a standard micro USB cord, even with the NC's power adapter will do you NO good.    It MUST have those 2 extra pins to supply the higher power for a quick charge.

Now....the NC, when running, with the backlight lit up moderately and using the WiFI uses MORE power than a standard USB port or cheapie charger can supply....but if you turn the NC off, you most certainly can charge the NC.

---------
Don
Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

>>Fear not. NC is here to stay.

Maybe yes. Maybe not. I asked why my order had been cancelled and here's the response I received.

Despite our efforts, we are unable to obtain NOOKcolor Power Kit in 
Asphalt. Therefore, we have canceled this title from your order, and you will not be charged.

Sounds to me as though they've just thrown in the towel at this point.

Frequent Contributor
NookwormNY
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Maybe not "all counts", Don:

You write:"You CAN charge the NC via a USB port....:  However according to page 14 of the NC User Guide,

NOTE: Using your NOOKcolor’s microUSB cable, you can connect your NOOKcolor to your personal computer to transfer files. Connecting over USB cable does not charge your NOOKcolor, however. To charge your NOOKcolor, you must plug it into a wall outlet.

I accept your clarification on the use of 3d party chargers, though. Thanks. Of course that presents an issue as BN.com doesn't have any; I read they have construction quality issues

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

NookwormNY wrote:

Maybe not "all counts", Don:

You write:"You CAN charge the NC via a USB port....:  However according to page 14 of the NC User Guide,

NOTE: Using your NOOKcolor’s microUSB cable, you can connect your NOOKcolor to your personal computer to transfer files. Connecting over USB cable does not charge your NOOKcolor, however. To charge your NOOKcolor, you must plug it into a wall outlet.

I accept your clarification on the use of 3d party chargers, though. Thanks. Of course that presents an issue as BN.com doesn't have any; I read they have construction quality issues

Yes, I know the manual says that, and the manual is wrong.    It will in fact charge the NC, but it takes about 16 hours to do so.   And the NC has to be off (as in sleeping, not powered down).

Many B&N stores still have the AC power adapters in stock.   I don't know who supplies the power adapters and parts (other than they're assembled in China) so the lack of supply could well have something to do with the recent events in Japan.

That is a GUESS.

I do know that some of the original AC adapters had "noise" issues in that they caused problems with the NC if plugged  in while you were using it.   Later AC adapters do not have this problem.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Toller wrote:

Maybe yes. Maybe not. I asked why my order had been cancelled and here's the response I received.

Asphalt. Therefore, we have canceled this title from your order, and you will not be charged.

That's a canned reply, you'll get the same reply if they're out of a particular hardback book.   Note the use of the term "title" rather than "item"

The NC is here to stay.

---------
Don
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Toller wrote:

Yesterday I received notice that B&N had summarily cancelled this order. No explanation. They simply cancelled a perfectly valid order.

What gives?

I'll never find the actual post, but I do remember one of the B&N staff who posts here saying that B&N is required (by law?  internal policy?) to cancel any order they cannot fill within 30 days.  

It seems that they ought to explain that when they summarily cancel orders, but they usually don't.

I imagine that it means, in your case, that they are concerned that they won't be able to get inventory in in time to fill your order.  I have no idea where said cords ship from, but if it is in fact Japan, that could possibly contribute?

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

I believe the law on orders not filled within 30 days is that the company must notify you of the delay and offer you the opportunity to cancel. It does not require them to actuallly cancel the order.

I suppose the proof in the pudding would be to see if they will let me order a power cord now.

Eric

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Toller wrote:

I don't honestly know how you can make the leap to think that because the Power Kit is not available right now, they have thrown in the towel and are dumping the NC altogether.

It really makes no sense if you think about it.  Accessories are often in short supply for any electronic product, especially if it is something that is not considered to need replacing right away.  And, the NC has been wildly popular so some things are being gobbled up as soon as they can be made. 

The power kit was available recently because, wait for it, I ordered one online and received it 3 days later.  Now they may appear to be unavailable again for a bit and this can have to do with suppliers being "tapped out" or because a lot of people are also ordering the car charger kit which uses the same usb cable and then power kits are being made to be included in with NCs that are being bought now.  The car chargers also will presumably be available at the end of April.

And the law actually is that unless an order is re-confirmed after 30 days, it must be cancelled.  It's probably a failsafe method on BN's part to just cancel since people aren't always quick to re-confirm and they don't have a software process to do that, anyway. 

From the FTC:

"If, after taking the customer’s order, you learn that you cannot ship within the time you stated or within 30 days, you must seek the customer’s consent to the delayed shipment. If you cannot obtain the customer’s consent to the delay -- either because it is not a situation in which you are permitted to treat the customer’s silence as consent and the customer has not expressly consented to the delay, or because the customer has expressly refused to consent -- you must, without being asked, promptly refund all the money the customer paid you for the unshipped merchandise."

It probably is a PITA to try and get some customers to respond so they are just cancelled-that way BN stays compliant with the law.

It also may be the case that they know they have a lot of other orders already waiting for the car charger and for the power kit and can't reasonably assume the ability to get yours to you in an acceptable time.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

I'm now having the cord problem. The AC cord isn't charging, though the yellow NookColor light was on.  I wiggled and jiggled, but to no avail.  Then thought to use cord from the car charger and it's a good fit. Much tighter than the original cord that came with the AC adaptor.  Problem is obviously the cord, since NC is charging now, and adapter is fine. I believe it's the connection between cord and NC as others have found.

I've emailed CS to see if cord included in warranty.  Probably not, but doesn't hurt to check, I guess.  I also want a second good one. I'm going to be at a B&N on Thursday, so will take damaged cord and see if they have replacements or what they recommend.

Thank heavens I had the car charger cord to use.

Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

Update to my post above. I received two replies to my email to Customer Service; the first asked for serial no., etc. The second asked me to call Customer Service. I did and got Carlos who was most helpful.  He said a new power cord thing would be sent to me and should arrive in 3 days.  I hope so!

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Two days ago all the various power cords were out of stock on the B&N web site and neither of my local stores had them. Today, they are showing in stock at both stores. I am hoping they are right!

About 2 weeks ago the plastic casing where the "n" charging indicator started coming lose. I taped it with some electrical tape hoping that would help but it did not.  About 2 days later, it stopped charging my Nook.  I had another random micro-USB and have been using that to charge my Nooky but it takes FOREVER to do so!  I have also gone into the store when I've needed a quick charge or even a top-off, but that was getting old.

I bought my Nook Color at Best Buy and have their protection plan so I called them up, thinking they were going to ship me out a new Nook charger. Wrong!  They can't get the branded chargers, either.  So, they send me a generic micro-USB with a nice little AC/car charger that is going to come in very handy.  They are also going to reimburse me for the purchase of a Nook Color charger from Best Buy as long as I provide them with proper documentation. I just hope the newer chargers are constructed better.  I have had trouble with mine from day 1 because it was difficult to get into the Nook.  I just hope the Geek Squad agent at Best Buy was correct and I do get reimbursed for buying the new charger!