Contributor
DCGrams
0 Kudos

Problem setting up email

I have a dishmail account  which is powered by Google.  I cannot setup my email on the Nook Color.  It states that it cannot connect to server. Please advise as to how I can proceed with this. What am I missing?  I tried as a POP and IMAP neither worked.  Thanks for any help.

Contributor
RWMIN
0 Kudos

Re: Problem setting up email

I'm having the same problem with Directv Mail also powered by Google!

Contributor
DCGrams
0 Kudos

I received a reply from tech support stating that dishmail is not supported at this time.  You may be in the same category.

Contributor
turboman
0 Kudos

Interesting, I can't get ANY email to set up.  I get the same message for aol, comcast, and gmail - Cannot connect to server.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

gmail is an easy one to setup -  you can actually use the quick setup for it. For comcast - check on their website. Email setup on mobile devices is generally different than on your desktop - usually different ports. That is what I did for my Wideopen West email and for my bosses email thru rackspace that I setup on his driod phone.

Wordsmith
Serendip

I have comcast and gmail accounts on my NC

For comcast, my server settings are:  (username only needs what is BEFORE the @)

Incoming:

pop3 server: mail.comcast.net

Security type: SSL

Port: 995

Delete from Server: Never (so I get the mail on other devices)

Outgoing:

SMTP server: smtp.comcast.net

security type: SSL

Port: 465

Require sign-in: checked

Gmail: (needed whole username, before AND after the @

This only worked for me as an IMAP, not as pop3

Incoming:

IMAP server: imap.gmail.com

Security tupe: SSL

Port: 993

IMAP path prefix: Optional

Outgoing:

SMTP: smtp.gmail.com

Security: SSL

Port: 465

Require sign-in: checked

Hope that helps!

Contributor
turboman
0 Kudos

I got the incoming comcast to finally go through.  But, the outgoing is still giving me the "unable to open connection to server" error.  I'll keep trying using your info.

Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

Please, where do these "port" numbers come from that everyone talks about?

I would like to set up my Frontier account on the NC, but in the Frontier documentation they don't divulge ANY "port" numbers for ANY application.

Help??

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
Reader
Edna_B
0 Kudos

Thanks for your great instructions!  I tried several times on my own to set up my email on my Nook, but had no success.  Yesterday, I spent an hour with a B&N Nook rep trying to get my email set up on my Nook Color.  After many attempts and several phone calls to someone more knowledgeable, the rep suggested I contact my provider to see what info I needed to enter.

Today, I followed your directions and had my email account set up in 3 minutes. 

Many thanks!

Reader
Edna_B
0 Kudos

The great directions I was referring to were posted by Serendip.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Edna_B wrote:

The great directions I was referring to were posted by Serendip.

Thank you, and I'm glad they helped! :smileyhappy:
New User
luddite71
0 Kudos

I had the same problem setting up a gmail account and finally succeeded after logging into my home router and reducing the firewall security level. I did it this way because I don't know how to enable specific ports on my router. After setting up the account I went back into the router and restored the original firewall setting; not sure whether I will have to change it back again but so far I can use the account on the NC.

Reader 2
marley55
0 Kudos

Would you mind if I ask you to tell me how you set it up? I just got a Nook color and cannot access my email either. The incoming is ok the outgoing is not.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Marley55, who is your email provider? Most of them have specfic ports for outgoing email. Google or check with your email service provider to see if you need to change the outgoing port to a secure port #

New User
luddite71
0 Kudos

As I said I reduced the security level for the firewall on my home router. Your situation does not sound the same as mine because I could not even set up the account without doing that. Now that I set it up it works fine both incoming and outgoing (at home) as long as I have that lower security level. It also works fine at Wifi hot spots.

New User
dmj222
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the great info.  I had all my emails set up, work personal etc. and had to reset my Nook color and lost all the settings.  I now have my aol and my gmail acct set up but am still having problems with the outgoing server for knology acct.  I have tried setting up as pop and imap (since my other 2 set up as imap)  but can only get my incoming server set.  Current settings are as follows:

user name - name@knology.net

pop3 server - pop3.knology.net

security type - none

port - 110

delete never

this part accepts

smtp - smtp.knology.net

sec type - none

port - 587

this does not accept and have tried port 25 with no help.   Any help would be greatly appreciated

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

this is what I found after doing a google search

POP3.knology.net

SMTP.knology.net

pop3 is 110

smtp is 25

no certificates, be sure to check the sign in required

New User
dmj222
0 Kudos

Thanks so much sandie52.  I know I ahve tried the very same settings 10 to 15 times and yet when you sent this I tried one more time and it went.  YEA!!!!

E-C
New User
E-C
0 Kudos

Dear Serendip.....You did more for me in your set up explanation that hours of other resources!   Anyone should follow this if they have gmail!

Reader
seaweedSM
0 Kudos

I worked for days on this & decided to check my Smart Phone Outgoing settings. Maybe this will help somebody. I have Port 25 & for Security where it is SSL the person who set my phone up used the TLS & sign in. I put that in, my username & password, went to mail & IT WORKED. The Incoming Mail worked fine with the SSL but not the Outgoing. Workds now. Hope this helps.