New User
G2akaJT
0 Kudos

Problem with In-Store reading at 555 Fifth Avenue, New York store

I chose to purchase a Nook Color over a competing Android tablet solely due to the in-store reading feature. Big Mistake! Not only was there a defect in the screen, but the in-store reading feature hasn't been working at the midtown Manhattan store at 555 Fifth Avenue since last weekend when I bought it. Called 1-800-THE-BOOK. They were no help. Paul, the manager at the store, seemed indifferent about the feature not working. He kept repeating that it was a nationwide outage and seemed to cop an attitude with me. It's clear that BN has absolutely no interest in resolving customer service issues or technical issues related to the Nook. Will likely return the Nook and opt for an Android tablet or iPad. Before this experience, I was the biggest fan of the Nook. After this experience, I will NOT be recommending the Nook to anyone. Note I've spent over $300 on the device and accessories, plus several hundred dollars on Nook Books.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: Problem with In-Store reading at 555 Fifth Avenue, New York store

Paul the manager gave you the answer. Everyone is having problems. They are working on the servers in advance of the NC update and app store opening. And since the in-store reading books are provided by the main servers and not each individual store, it has a wide-ranging effect.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
ChipPM

@G2akaJT--Your loss. Too bad. Sorry to see you go.:smileysad:

Reader 4
Eunice_Booklover

just restart the connection on the wifi area. and try to power cycle i believe the issue will be fix once you did that. and by the way were just having a system upgrade right i do apologize for the in convience, but after the upgrade we will be more happy about the service that is given by barns and noble. :smileyhappy: 

Frequent Contributor
Onji1908

I don't think the manager told you anything that wasn't true.  I was happeing here in Texas also.  I went to the store to read instore Saturday, and could not.  I agree with the other posters as it is a sign that the update is coming SOOON!

Frequent Contributor
RogerMD

[ Edited ]

I would not let one incident swerve your original feelings about the Nook Color's features. So you can't read a book for one hour as a convenience while visiting the store. One hour vs. multiple  years of enjoyment.

The iPad is very pretty, but I sure wouldn't like to have Mr. Jobs tell me what I can use myj device for and how to hold it "properly". Do you research - I think you your emotional decision will become a more logical one.

Nook Color
Contributor
NYCHousewife

A very "New York" post!

Hello from another NY'er.

Folks here tend to want everything "now, dammit"!

Reading in store has not worked for me at all since owning my device. I have owned my device for about a month.

I am just going to be patient and wait it out. Besides, I am enjoying so much more on my Nook than reading in store books!

Hang in there and be patient!

There is no fire! :smileytongue:

New User
flydog

Not that you asked for opinions :smileytongue: but my husband has an iPad and it's too big to comfortably read with for hours.

Inspired Correspondent
Lizah

Just an FYI not every ebook is a "read in store" book. It should have the banner on it that says "read in store." Just an obersvation that I don't get why the read in store feature is such a deal breaker for people. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice feature but seriously the way some people carry on about it, you would think that someone stole their car or something if they can't read a book in store. RELAX people, not the end of the world. Download a sample if you are that desperate.

Correspondent
KapSukdulan

it's a server issue... for 3 days...

NOOK for China iPad rip-off
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

KapSukdulan wrote:

it's a server issue... for 3 days...

Ok, give up your posting rights or they will be forcibly removed.  By order of the knights of the nook.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.