New User
TJsAprilia
0 Kudos

Problems with Keyboard

I have been searching the net to see if anyone is having a similar issue to mine. I bought 2 nook colors for my GF and my Dad. My GF loves reading books and likes the ability to surf the web a bit on the nook as well. She has had it less then a week and is already having an issue with the key board.

Tonight she was trying to sign into her Email and it kept adding additional letters.  So if she wanted to type "a", it would show up as aaa or aa. This would happen on each letter she was trying to type. I tried and had the same issue. We rebooted the nook and still had the same issue.

Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a fix, or should we return it?

TJ

Contributor
DustyCraine
0 Kudos

Re: Problems with Keyboard

Was the NOOKcolor plugged in while your girlfriend was using the keyboard? I've read many instances where having it plugged in intensified the sensitivity of the keyboard. Most have said the problem goes away when it's running on battery. However, others have reported that the problem was resolved when they gave the touchscreen a good cleaning. I'd try those and if that doesn't resolve your issue then I'd see if you're still within your exchange window.

Author of http://www.thedustyblog.com
New User
TJsAprilia
0 Kudos

Thank you. Yes, it was plugged in at the time. I will give it a good cleaning and give it a good testing with it running on battery.

Thanks again for the help.

TJ

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

If that doesn't work, call B&N support or take it in to a store and tell/show them what's going on.  You may need a new charger. 

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

Just to add to what Nallia has posted, my device also goes nuts when trying to use the keyboard while the charger is connected.

I took the device and my charger to BN yesterday and tried it with their charger and the problem no longer occurred.  I then plugged their cable into my charger and the problem no longer existed, so it's something to do with the USB cable that I have that is the problem.

As a test, I wrapped a small piece of bare wire around the shield of the micro USB connector that plugs into the device and held the wire while I used the keyboard with my other hand and the problem no longer exists.

I got the NC as a gift and as soon as I can get the receipt I'll be swapping it out for a new one at BestBuy and will try to use the keyboard while charging before I leave the store to ensure things work properly.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Maybe you can just swap the cable?

Reader 2
boblovler
0 Kudos

I have had the same problem.  I exchanged my first one because I could not even get registered because the keyboard typed multiple letters (or incorrect letters). I had it plugged in at the time, but I incorrectly assumed it was a heat issue because the battery was getting warm as it charged.  I just discovered the same problem on my replacement Nook Color, except this time, I did discover that it only occurred when the charger was plugged in, and not when it is running on the battery.  BTW, it also doesn't occur when you plug it in to a USB port (you have to test it quickly before the Nook goes into USB mode).  So the problem seems to be with the AC adaptor, or the increased current that the AC charger provides (as opposed to charging on a USB port).  I will be returning it again today to see if I can find one that works properly!