Frequent Contributor
cinnamongrl
0 Kudos

Question about Borrowing Books from Local Library on Nook Color

I just set up my Nook Color yesterday (and LOVE IT!!), read the manual, but could find no information on how to borrow a book from my local library on my Nook Color.

Can anyone shed any light on how to to this?

Thanks!

Who dares, wins.
bwg
Inspired Contributor
bwg
0 Kudos

Re: Question about Borrowing Books from Local Library on Nook Color

Hello!  Glad to hear you like your Nook Color!  I love mine as well.

If you are looking for digital lending from libraries, a good place to start is:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

This will show most of the libraries, by state, that lend digitally.  Once you find a library near you, and you have a library card to lend, go and download 2 pieces of software: Overdrive and Adobe Digital Editions (onto your computer, not the Nook Color), which are used to borrow eBooks (ADE for PDF and Overdrive for some ePUB books as well as music/audio books).  Then it's just a matter of searching the library for the digital files you want.

Once you find an eBook you want and you get the download link, you must download the book and open it up in either Overdrive or Adobe Digital Editions, and then sideload it to your Nook Color via USB cable.  For example, when you connect your Nook Color to the computer via USB and open Adobe Digital Editions, you will see the eBook you borrowed with a litte "sash" that says "14 days" or so (indicating the lending period).  Click on that eBook, then drag it to the Nook icon on the left side of the screen in ADE.  When you are done reading it, you can click the triangle on the book icon in ADE and select "return book."

Have fun!  There are lots of good books to borrow.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
denchie
0 Kudos

Welcome!

In addition to what has been said, you might find these instructions useful:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

This the link on how to use the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) summarized by FrogAlum.

Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor
cinnamongrl
0 Kudos

Thanks so much!! I can't wait to get home from work to play with my new reader!  :-)

Who dares, wins.