Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

Question about PDFs on the NC

I downloaded a sample copy of a magazine in PDF format. The file looks great on the Nook Color, and the.layout is nice. However, whenever I open the PDF, I find myself back on the first page (the cover). This is anmoying as the magazine is over 100 pages long. Has that happened to anyone else? Is there a way to preevent it, or would I have to buy one of those PDF reading apps? FWIW I did try converting it to EPUB via Calibre. However, I decided to use the PDF instead because it retained the layout. The publisher will be sending me a sample EPUB of the current issue, so I'll see how that works. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Re: Question about PDFs on the NC

Yes the default B&N pdf software is abysimal. No Bookmarking,Last Page read,Highlight,etc.. ezPdf reader app is .99 and does support bookmarking and such.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

Yikes! Bookmarking and remembering the last page are such obvious features that I can't believe they were left out. :/ I read PDFs on the Nook Classic a couple of times and don't remember habing those problems.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep that's what had me miffed. The Nook color has two pdf readers in it. For B&N bought books that require pdf reader B&N has a more capable reader with bookmarking. But for titles from elsewhere or side-loaded personal stuff use the less capable Quickoffice.

And instead of fixing or adding core e-reader features with the v1.2 upgrade. They sluffed it off to us having to buy a 3rd party app which isn't integrated with the OS as default when you want to open a pdf.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just like Microsoft and Apple have done for years.  They only provide Adobe Reader, so you do not need to download and install it.

Microsoft is starting to provide some PDF functionality into MS Office, but OpenOffice. org still has better PDF support.

None of the apps for Nook Color support PDF forms like the free Adobe Reader does.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yes but the point is Basic pdf functions like bookmarking,annotating,etc that All other or majority of e-readers already have. If you integrate a function into your OS as in B&N does like pdf capability and advertise as such. Then you have a responsibility to fix or upgrade a basic e-reader function to match the industry standards that other e-reading devices all ready support.

Not slough it off to others to pickup the slack. And expect people to pay for what they should have already had in the first place.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

orb9220 wrote:

Yes but the point is Basic pdf functions like bookmarking,annotating,etc that All other or majority of e-readers already have. If you integrate a function into your OS as in B&N does like pdf capability and advertise as such. ...

Not slough it off to others to pickup the slack. And expect people to pay for what they should have already had in the first place.

I don't even mind so much having to pay for another PDF reader, though I agree completely with you that there should be consistency and uniformity across your 2 main document formats (ePub and PDF), with the built-in tools.  (And there is not.)

However, what compounds the problem significantly, in my view, is that B&N has removed the capability already available in Android for the user to select which reader they want to use to open a particular document.  Instead, they have hardwired this in their Library UI to use exclusively the internal reader that THEY select.

As a result, even after paying extra for another PDF reader, the user has to continue to pay the price by not being able to use it to open a PDF on a shelf or list, without the hassle of exiting the B&N wrapper, going to Apps, launching the other reader, then trying to navigate their way back to the document they were just looking at the cover of.  THEN open it.  That just adds insult to injury, and really degrades the NC reading experience. IMO.

- Mark

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

As a result, even after paying extra for another PDF reader, the user has to continue to pay the price by not being able to use it to open a PDF on a shelf or list, without the hassle of exiting the B&N wrapper, going to Apps, launching the other reader, then trying to navigate their way back to the document they were just looking at the cover of.  THEN open it.  That just adds insult to injury, and really degrades the NC reading experience. IMO.

- Mark

Exactly! Now my nicely organized shelves have become moot and useless when trying to open pdf's. As What! I have to go to apps load app then re-look for book thru the App Now? And pay for that privilege Geeze!

And people seem to be fine with that. Not me as have given up on B&N doing what's best for the customer. If the Decision makers actually had to use the device they make. Maybe things would be better for the glaring and lacking features of an other wise fantastic device.