New User
NOOK88

REPLACEMENT DEVICE...

I do NOT generally post anything on FB, write on blogs, forums or even comment on much about service or product issues, but this time I am on a bit of an edge in regards to an “issue” that is still not resolved. Nook and Barnes & Noble has left me with a VERY bitter taste in my mouth and now upset and empty handed.  First and foremost, I am baffled that an organization such as Barnes and Noble would treat their customers so poorly. I have been the most patient and persistent about this since it began and it has left me with literally nothing (but a defective device).

It all began a month ago when my NOOK Color device would only show this gray n on it and not power on. I took it into the local Barnes and Noble store where the gentleman looked at it and tried and tried, but could not get it to power up either.  He looked up some information on my particular device and told me that I still have the warranty that I purchased and here is an 800 number to call as he did not have any replacement devices in the store. At the time, I was of course grateful that I always purchase these warranty/insurances.

I called right when I got home that day.  I had spoken with the rep on the phone ( as well as upated my Barnes and Noble.com  Profile to update my address (as I have moved since the device was originally purchased and the address they had on file was incorrect).  Why this “update” and delete of my old address never processes in their “system” I cannot understand. (more on this later)  I was told that the replacement order was placed and I received an e-mail (to my account on file) with the proper RETURN shipping labels (with the correct NEW address) (in which to return my defective device  with 14 days AFTER I RECEIVE the “replacement”  device), which I printed out. Then I received another confirmation e-mail (From:Barnes and Noble) with my RMA number and  another e-mail stating they were shipping my “replacement” device—to the WRONG Address.  I called them immediately and after being jerked around for over an hour and  a half and talking to 6 different people, I spoke with a gentleman that claimed he was in the shipping department and said that since we caught the order early enough in the process that he would  manually change the address on the order as we were on the phone, to be able to ship to my new address.

I waited the 3-5 business days and still have not received anything. 

So I called again to check on the order and the gentleman on the phone told me that the order was in the system but never processed.  He told me that because of this he did not have a tracking number for  this and that he would place a new order to be shipped.  He assured me that my credit card would not be charged as the 14 days starts once their system shows that the “replacement” device is delivered. Whew, I was getting worried about that.  He assured me that he placed a new order and put notes in that the previous order was “lost in transit” and gave me a new order number.

Again, I waited the 3-5 business days and I still have not received my “replacement” device.  I am getting a little bit more leary and frustrated.  I called in to obtain the tracking number for the “replacement” device that was to be shipped (for the second time now) and was given the EXACT SAME  tracking number that is on the RETURN shipping label that I printed out and is sitting in front of me on the table, which I am not to ship back until I receive the “new” device.  The person on the phone insisted they were right and I was wrong and that was the tracking number,  after 15 minutes of me explaining that there is no way that can be (due to logistics and understanding UPS  and tracking labels and looking it up online etc) she puts me on hold…comes back to tell me that “oh the order was never processed AGAIN.  I will have to place an entirely new request”  AGAIN??....

Here in lies the problem.  I am leaving for vacation in 2 days (hence also why I wanted this all taken care of and why I have been so diligent about it) and really wanted to take this device along as well as finish the story I was in the middle of reading when it “crashed”.  Also, as there will be no one available to receive the UPS shipment (if it ever ships), I don’t want it sitting out in rainy weather while I am gone.  Therefore, I asked the person if we place (yet another) order today if it can be expedited or overnighted so that:

A) I will be able to get the replacement device, as I will be home  yet for another day

B)  I can get the defective one shipped back within the 14 days

C) I really want to take this on my trip as well as finish the story I am reading!

I was then notified that there is no way that they can do that.  REALLY?? This is your companies mis-handling, mis-information and lack of COMMUNICATION (phone or e-mail would have at least suffice in notification that you cannot fill the order or why this keeps happening) and Barnes and Noble/Nook should take some RESPONSIBILITY.

I do understand that since this is a warranty replacement that these orders do not get placed in top priority. However, being that I PURCHASED the warranty I expect the same kind of service as a new customer.   I was also told when I purchased the warranty, unlike some cell phone warranties, that NOOK does not ship “refurbished” devices, but new ones.  Regardless of what your policy is on that, I still am out of a device, upset and very frustrated with your organization. In today’s world of mass communication and instant notifications, I find it hard to believe that you could not have called me or e-mailed me with order status information, especially because clearly your company is not shipping the device. I also think it might do you a bit of good to update your customer account profiles, maybe batch update them,so if/when a customer updates their address (default) on your .com site (and with your reps on the phone…(that in my opinion did not update your “system”) that your system updates as well. 

I am rather disgusted and hurt that I had to cancel the entire process today and now have no device at all. Being that I will not be home to receive the shipment or send the replacement and will have to attempt to continue this process when I return. I still think that YOU should take the cost of expediting this shipment next day. 

You see I was involved in a severe severe automobile accident almost a year ago and I used to just only have good and wonderful things to say to people about how wonderful my Nook Color was and how I was so grateful to have it during rehabilitation and it has made time go by and life a lot easier. I regret to inform you that due to your LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE I may have to retract my statements.  Even more so that I no longer have a working device and am baffled as to why this replacement can’t be handled.

If there is anything that can be done to rectify this situation, I am open to suggestions.
Regards.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: REPLACEMENT DEVICE...

Note: I don't represent B&N.

Go into a store. Call up if possible to check they have stock. You'll get the replacement instantly. Phone support and email support are very bad.

Reader
mjjmlaf
0 Kudos

I began reading this forum in an attempt to find out if B&N is actually still supporting Nook Color.  I had the exact same type of trouble with them as you when I was trying to buy a new usb cable for my NC.  About they only difference in my experience is that they (B&N) cancelled my initial order without informing me in any way although they had all my contact information i.e. address, phone number, and email address.  It literally took me almost four (4) MONTHS to BUY a new cable!!!! 

Each time I called (there was NO on-line support), like you, I was shuffled from one person to another, again and again, and would be on the phone for at least an hour each time.  I was lied to and misled constantly.

Now I'm wondering if they are even still selling the NookColor.  When I purchased it, paying over $200, it was with the understanding from information told me by in-store salespeople that it would receive an upgrade to the software shortly that would give the device the capabilities that arrived instead in the Nook HD.  Needless to say, the NC, although it did receive a software update, never truly has had the same or even close to the same capabilities as the HD.  Surprise, surprise for we suckers who bought the NookColor!

As you can tell, I am extremely disgruntled about the way Barnes & Noble has handled the NookColor and its purchasers.  I think we should be given the option to trade them in for either the Nook HD or the Nook HD+ OR be given a huge discount toward the purchase of one of these models, with are currently being offered for less than $150, much cheaper than I paid for my NC!

Bibliophile
bklvr896

mjjmlaf wrote:

I began reading this forum in an attempt to find out if B&N is actually still supporting Nook Color.  I had the exact same type of trouble with them as you when I was trying to buy a new usb cable for my NC.  About they only difference in my experience is that they (B&N) cancelled my initial order without informing me in any way although they had all my contact information i.e. address, phone number, and email address.  It literally took me almost four (4) MONTHS to BUY a new cable!!!! 

Each time I called (there was NO on-line support), like you, I was shuffled from one person to another, again and again, and would be on the phone for at least an hour each time.  I was lied to and misled constantly.

Now I'm wondering if they are even still selling the NookColor.  When I purchased it, paying over $200, it was with the understanding from information told me by in-store salespeople that it would receive an upgrade to the software shortly that would give the device the capabilities that arrived instead in the Nook HD.  Needless to say, the NC, although it did receive a software update, never truly has had the same or even close to the same capabilities as the HD.  Surprise, surprise for we suckers who bought the NookColor!

As you can tell, I am extremely disgruntled about the way Barnes & Noble has handled the NookColor and its purchasers.  I think we should be given the option to trade them in for either the Nook HD or the Nook HD+ OR be given a huge discount toward the purchase of one of these models, with are currently being offered for less than $150, much cheaper than I paid for my NC!

No, they are not still selling the Nook Color, they haven't sold it for quite a while now.  I'm not sure when they stopped selling it, but I'm pretty sure it was over a year ago.   I bought a Nook Color, I got use out of it.  I bought it for what it did, not for what it might do in the future.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

mjjmlaf wrote:

I'm curious to know what this salesperson told you.  Clearly they did not tell you that the NC would be updated to have the same capabilities as the HD, as the HD wasn't out when you bought your NC, so they couldn't have known what capabilities it would have, or even what it would be called.  So what features were you promised?

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

If you check out mjjmlaf history of two posts, you'll see that the first (and only prior) post is grousing that there was a promise of upgrading the NC to support the same features as the NOOK Tablet (not HD). There were software updates to the NC that did bring the features very nearly in line, tough of course the hardware differed.