New User
pettay
0 Kudos

Reset to Factory Settings - Now Read Forever screen only

I got a nook color from eBay as a gift and wanted to reset to factory just for good measure.  I used the menu choice to reset to factory settings and all seemed to go fine.  Then it went to the black "Read Forever" screen and won't do anything different.  How do I get it back to working.  This was a gift.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: Reset to Factory Settings - Now Read Forever screen only

Well I never did a factory reset, but logic tells me to hold the power off button for 20 seconds, ignoring the prompt to shut down. Wait 1-2 minutes then hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Perhaps someone who has done a factory reset may reply with other suggestions. When in doubt call CS.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

If I remember right...when the Nook Color is off, hold the "n" home key and press the power key at the same time and keep it there...reset should happen automatically (then of course release..)  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

pettay wrote:

I got a nook color from eBay as a gift and wanted to reset to factory just for good measure.  I used the menu choice to reset to factory settings and all seemed to go fine.  Then it went to the black "Read Forever" screen and won't do anything different.  How do I get it back to working.  This was a gift.

Be patient, it will stay on that screen for a while once it's been reset.    It should have gone through a screen where it shows it is clearing data and reloading, then will go off, then to the read  forever screen and then after a bit (up to several minutes) it should  startup.

If that doesn't work, turn the power OFF completely.   That is, hold in the power button until it completely stops.   Now, hold down the "n" key (the home key) and keep holding it down, then press the power key and hold it in until the screen flashes.   Next, you will get a screen asking if you wish to completely reset the unit....follow the instructions and tell it yes, it will prompt you again, again, answer yes and it will fully reset itself and  startup.

---------
Don
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana

[ Edited ]

pettay wrote:

Option 1: 8 interrupted boots in a row (http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM) will restore the original firmware. In my case: 1.1.0

Option 2: From a completely off-state, press and hold the power + N button for exactly 8 seconds, using your PC’s clock as a timer. Release both buttons at 8 seconds. It may take a few tries to get it right. Follow the prompts to reset your unit. But it keeps your current firmware version (1.2.0).

If you just bought your Nook Color, you probably have 1.2.0. installed, so that may be as far back as you can go. For some, though, you have the option to do what I call a "full reset" to 1.1.0. Some early purchasers can go back even further than that, I believe. Anyway, I am using 1.1.0 (Touch the Future of Reading) as of now since I don't need apps or Flash and I don't like the new partition scheme they use. I also skipped the Oobe (http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Factory_Mode/Skip_Out_of_Box_Experience), so my NC isn't tied to B&N at all currently.

New User
happiestcamper
0 Kudos

I tried everything - waiting exactly 8 seconds is the only thing that worked. It took a few tries but now I'm the happiestcamper!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Maluhia Kana thanks for those - those are news to me (the 8 seconds one).

Thanks to the OP for confirming that 8 seconds worked.