Contributor
WHO-DAT
0 Kudos

Root now or later ?

I have read a lot about rooting my NC and have not yet.  I want to see what the “NEW” upgrade will include.  Should I wait until the new release or root my NC now?  If I root now, what will I need to do after B&N announces the new OS?  From what is on the discussion boards a re-root will be needed after the new OS is installed.  Also, will there be a new Auto-nooter for the new OS? I know, a lot of questions, but have looked into rooting and still have questions.  Rooting looks like a great way to go, but want to make sure I understand before I “go for it”.    THANKS

Inspired Contributor
slic2007
0 Kudos

Re: Root now or later ?

You're in the same boat with all the rest of us who know enough to be dangerous.  I think a lot of us are just waiting for the upgrade to come out.  From what I can tell, the biggest ticket items people are waiting for is an Adobe Flash upgrade and the ability to handle PDF's more like a book (bookmarks, last page read . . .).  I'm guessing that if BN doesn't come through with these (plus a few more), there will be a lot of disappointed people.

Personally, I love being able to hop onto a WiFi place to check my email and browse the web a little.  That's why I bought mine (other than for the ereader aspect).  The fact that you're riddled with little blue boxes instead of pictures and videos, was kind of a bummer for me.

I'd say hang in there a little longer.  Maybe BN's reason for taking so long for the upgrade is because they're trying to give us users what we've asked for.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1

Keep in mind this is only MY opinion. 

We don't when the update is coming.  Using autonooter is a very simple process and for every day you wait, you are missing all the things your NC is capable of doing. 

When and if the update comes, if it is not a spectacular update,,,,then it will be only a matter of hours before someone comes up with fix root.....

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
New User
Jamie_S
0 Kudos

I have a stupid question...please don't judge :smileyhappy:  What does root mean?  I have only had time to piddle on my NC and don't know it's full potential.  I didn't even know to be upset that it doesn't do more :smileyhappy:  Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

Rooting is the process of peeling away the proprietary layer of an Android-based device (Android is Google's OS, like Windows) to get access to all other default features. The proprietary layer is typically applied to provide value-added services and ease of use to users (and potentially to lock them into their services).

Rooting is a relatively simple process (at least for NC), but can void your warranty with B&N in case something goes wrong afterwards (rooting itself is generally safe, but I am talking about issues with the device). So you will be on your own after you 'root' the device.

There is really no date set for the OS upgrade from B&N as the other commenter said and when that happens, it is possible that the 'rooting' mechanism will be updated by the community, although it is not a guarantee (it's after all done by people during their spare time).

So, if you have some tech background (although it's not that complicated) and are ok with the potential issues, then you may be fine. If you are happy with what you have, then let the sleeping dogs lie! But it is true that NC has a LOT more to offer than what it shows by default.

Frequent Contributor
arecibo00612
0 Kudos

I'm choosing to wait a little more longer. not only because I would have no idea how to root my NC, but because I'm soooo busy with my college class and work full time that I have no time for my NC.  :smileysad:

thanks for reading!!!!!!

Contributor
philb5

[ Edited ]

Well if you want to know exactly when the update will come out I will tell you .  It will come out the day after I root my nook.  I guarantee it!!!!

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

[ Edited ]

Jamie_S wrote:

. . .  I have only had time to piddle on my NC . . .

?!:smileysurprised:

Well, okay.:smileyindifferent:  If that's your intent, you'll want to consider one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Padding-NOOKcolor/dp/B004C9XIJA

:smileyvery-happy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358

That's pretty darn cool.  Thanks for the link!

- Mark

(Do you have a link for some rosin, in case I want to 'fiddle' with my Nook instead?  :smileywink: 

Or perhaps an implement from Lawn & Garden supplies... in case I want to 'root' it?  Can you dig it?)

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

philb5 wrote:

Well if you want to know exactly when the update will come out I will tell you .  It will come out the day after I root my nook.  I guarantee it!!!!

When are you rooting your Nook?  Then we will know when to expect the update.  :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
philb5
0 Kudos

Andromeda208 wrote:

philb5 wrote:

When are you rooting your Nook?  Then we will know when to expect the update.  :smileyvery-happy:

LOL, I went ahead and did it last night, so this afternoon or tomorrow, something is going to happen!!  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Thanks philb5. I'll head to B&N at lunch tomorrow for the update  :smileytongue:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
New User
EMC59
0 Kudos

Do you have a link to any instructions on how to root a NookColor? Does rooting allow you to update to the latest version of the Android OS?

New User
KCKitsune
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OK, my opinion is to root your nook now.  I used Cyanogen Mod 7 (CM7)* with Dalingrin's overclock kernel (running at 1.1 GHz) and not only is it stable, I got full access to the Android Market, AND I got my bluetooth GPS receiver to work.  I am thinking about getting a bluetooth keyboard and turning my Nook Color into a nice netbook.

If anyone here can connect a USB keyboard directly to the nook and have it work, then please send me a message and point me in the right direction.

* == Nightly 29

The link for how to mod your nook color is here:

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/install-cyanogenmod-7-android-2-3-gingerbread-rom-on-nook-color/

and here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=960542