Frequent Contributor
Dec17
0 Kudos

SD Card - Unmount

I've been working with 2 SD cards, just merrily inserting one or the other, taking one or the other out. 

I just went looking, trying to see how much memory I had left on one of the SD cards, and I see that it says "unmount SD card (for safe removal)".

Uh-oh!  Have I done something wrong and damaged my NC?  Everything seems to be fine.

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card - Unmount

Probably not.  I think removing the card without unmounting CAN corrupt the data on your card, but I've never had that happen.  I am really good about "safely removing" my NC and other gadgets from my computer, but am like you when it comes to the SD card.  I just pop it out without thinking.  So far no problems. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I did the same thing for the 1st couple months with no known problems. Once I realized there was an unmount button I have consistantly used it. No need to find the problem with a fully loaded 16g card.  JMHO :smileywink:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Phoneboy...where is this button you speak of??

Wordsmith
DrWho453

Doreenpv wrote:

Phoneboy...where is this button you speak of??

Go to devices in your settings menu and then select the sd card menu and if you have your sd card installed you will see an unmount option. The format sd card will be greyed out. If you unmount your card, you can then safely remove it or format it. If you used an sd card to root the nook, you can use this method to restore the sd card back to its full size again.
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
deemure
0 Kudos

It is always best (in order to avoid file corruption) to unmount the card before physically removing it from the NC.  It may also disconnect power to it as well as stop any software processes related to it.  This is in regard to unmounting the card from the NOOKcolor itself.

It's also good to point out here that if the NOOKcolor with card inserted is connected to the computer, you should eject or unmount the card (not physically removing it) and then eject or unmount the NC from the computer before clicking on safely remove hardware.  On a windows PC, you select computer or my computer, then right click on the appropriate "drive" and select eject for the card and then the NC.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
phoneboy
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

It is always best (in order to avoid file corruption) to unmount the card before physically removing it from the NC.  It may also disconnect power to it as well as stop any software processes related to it.  This is in regard to unmounting the card from the NOOKcolor itself.

It's also good to point out here that if the NOOKcolor with card inserted is connected to the computer, you should eject or unmount the card (not physically removing it) and then eject or unmount the NC from the computer before clicking on safely remove hardware.  On a windows PC, you select computer or my computer, then right click on the appropriate "drive" and select eject for the card and then the NC.

On my XP box, Once I eject both drives via my computer the "connected" popup on my NC goes away and NC returns to normal home screen. The safely remove hardware will not show the NC drives. At that point it is safe to unplug it.  YMMV

deemure
0 Kudos

Phoneboy, that is strange. I have xp and after eject, both show up on the taskbar when I hit safely remove. Isn't it fun how non-standard computers are even when running the same OS?
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
phoneboy
0 Kudos

True standards, like common sence, are quite rare. Lol
Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

Thank you deemure, this is exactly the answer I was looking for.  I am using an SD card for the first time, and saw on my computer that a drive F came up as well as the Nook Color. So I didn't know about ejecting on the drive F.  Thanks to you, I ejected the drive F and also the NC.  BTW, does it matter if I use the "eject" option or the little icon to remove hardware safely on my laptop?

New User
lovino
0 Kudos

Thanka for posting that it works on the nook tablet too.