New User
AlinD

Screen Flicker

Read several posts about this issue when screen brightness is set betweeen 40-60%

I bought a Nook color myself and have the same issue

I happen to work with LCD screens and normally this is either a problem with the driver board for the backlights, noise issues with the video card or firmware upgrade problem with the video  processor. Upgrading to version 1.0.1 did not solve the issue either.

Either case, return the item and request testing it in the store.

I've also experienced problems with the volume buttons. The "-" button lowers the volume just fine. The "+" button, when pressed, lowers the volume as well. If pressed harder (on the "+" button) the volume increases as it should. This is a mechanical problem with the two switches and it's also a good reason for returning your reader for replacement.

My 2C for those experiencing identical issues...

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Flicker

Thanks for the info on the screen flicker issues. I agree it's most definitely NOT normal.

The Nook Color I returned had this problem to a very slight degree, but it wasn't until after I got my replacement that I realized it shouldn't have been doing it at all (my reason for return was due to something unrelated to the screen).

Reader
lucasp
0 Kudos

I observed flickering with the device plugged in and detached from power. It was very easy for me to reproduce it - pretty much every screen was flickering, with the exception of a bright screen with light colors. Night mode and dark grays were the worst.

I went to a brick & mortar B&N (the first device was from the website), exchanged the NC and the new device had the exact same problem.

I didn't really have time to keep swapping devices until I found one without a defect, so I returned it for a full refund.

B&N should take particular note of this issue. It is obviously not isolated.

For now, I'm going to hold out to see if B&N acknowledges and addresses this matter.

New User
AlinD
0 Kudos

I haven't exchanged mine yet, I'll do it tomorrow, see if I have better luck.

Just wanted to add, I bet the flickering, or waving, takes place at low and high level brightness, it's just that human eye can't really detect it due to the frequency at which it occurs.

I'll report back tomorrow.

New User
AlinD
0 Kudos

exchanged it today

much better than previous, there might still be a flicker there but not noticeable unless you really stare at it to the point where you might get a headache. It's probably my paranoia as well, so this nookcolor I am going to keep.

hopefully this can be fixed through updates of the firmware if indeed it's an issue.

'can no longer make a comparison but I can swear that, at the same level brightness on the brightness scale, say between 40%-60%, the screen seems to be brighter on this one.

Reader
lucasp
0 Kudos

I may utilize a gift card and some returns to fund YANC (Yet Another Nook Color). I'll report back with my findings.

Reader
lucasp
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I picked up a third Nook Color from a local brick & mortar store.

So far, the flicker issue is not nearly as noticeable, especially on the low brightness and in the "night" mode. I still can see a faint flicker, but it's not as obnoxious as the original two Nook Colors were.

This new NC has a different defect on the screen. A group of pixels (maybe as large as the lead of a #2 pencil) is especially bright. A small cluster within this group is extremely bright. Essentially, it looks as if there's a drop of water on my screen. It's very distracting.

So, I'm 0-for-3 on my Nook Color experience. I've lost confidence in the quality control on this device.

Reader
lucasp
0 Kudos

I have my fourth and hopefully final NC.

No flicker. No weird pixels. Only a bit of touch screen quirkiness (multiple registered touches on a single touch) while it's plugged in, which I heard is related to the charger. Incidentally, a Palm Pre I had behaved similarly when plugged into an off-brand charger.

I'm going to give this one a few days and see how it goes.

Wish me luck.

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

Was 4th time the charm? I'm going for number 6 tomorrow.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Maybe there are some bad batches. That sometimes happens with early runs of new products. However, that's a lot of bad ones in a row.

I'm, as it were, 1 for 1, and I'm sure a lot of folks are. I hope you all get working units because it is worth it.

New User
Flooter
0 Kudos

Just got mine a week ago and still can see the screen flickering!!

Obviously B&N has not made any improvements over the problem that had been reported THREE YEARS AGO!

Shame on you, B&N!

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

The NOOK Color has been out of production for quite a while now. If you bought one used and it has a problem, I'd take it up with the seller. If you meant another model of NOOK, get an exchange if it's still under warranty. The vast majority do not have screen flicker issues.