Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

Shelves

After downloading 1.5 I created my shelves. Nice concept EXCEPT you can't close the shelves. Kind of like rearanging the deck chairs on the Tiatanic

Contributor
Tuirgin
0 Kudos

Re: Shelves

More useful would have been categories based on tags/keywords. Everything about shelves is manual as far as I can tell.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell

It's doing what I need it to do, and is a big improvement in my book.

Reader
Meznuraie
0 Kudos

What I want to know is - Is there any way at all to do the sorting into shelves on the PC rather than going through book by book on the nook? It would be incredibly faster to just have them sorted into folders on the nook, but I can't find anywhere that tells it what to put where.

Please help!

Contributor
pebb2
0 Kudos

Another problem that I noticed is that the books do not always stay in the order that you mark them. It would be really nice for the next update to fix this problem.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

It's not perfect, but for me it's much more functional than it was, especially in My Documents.  I had a couple series that were all scattered -- the author's name was sometimes (First Last) and sometimes (Last, First)... and there were stories in anthologies that listed under a different author.  It could be really difficult to find some.  This lets me make a shelf for the series, and solves that problem entirely.  Hurray!

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Go Library (B&N or My Documents), select "Change view", "Hide shelves".
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

I would like to be able to view the shelf name but collapse or expand the shelf itself.  I believe that's what the other poster was saying as well.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

That is exactly what I was trying to get across. The way the shelves are now it doesn't clean up the screen, it just shifts titles around.

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I would like to be able to view the shelf name but collapse or expand the shelf itself.  I believe that's what the other poster was saying as well.

Your right on with this request. Maybe next update. :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KeithK wrote:

...The way the shelves are now it doesn't clean up the screen, it just shifts titles around.

Some people call, "just shifts titles around"

"Organizing" :smileyhappy:

P.S. 

It would have been nice to create book shelves based on book meta-data.  I bet that a "auto-generate shelves from meta-data" is something that could be added to Calibre.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Correspondent
Rasyr

AlanNJ wrote:

You can go to  "My Library"

then go to (presuming you are in "My Documents") "Shelves"

then go to "Go to Shelf"

It will take you to that particular shelf, so that you don't have to scroll/page through multiple pages of listings to get to that particular shelf.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but I find it workable for now (until I get to the one shelf which will house over 100 books in total...  )

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

That would be great! But happy with what we have for now. As far as putting them all ON shelves, I just got my nook last week, so don't have as many as some of you do. :smileyhappy:

LisaB

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ -- I just finished shelving my books -- all 400+ of them. I have 2 full pages of shelf names (in the "Re-order Shelves" section.

Haleakala_LKB -- I, too, would love the shelves to be collapsible... :smileyvery-happy:

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but has anyone figured out how to select a book to read from their shelf?  I organized my books, went to a shelf I created -  'Reading Now' - and I'd like to jump to a book on the shelf.... but I don't have any scroll buttons to select a title. 

It's highly possible at 7:15am I'm a little slow on the uptake and missing something... but can someone tell me how to do this?  Searched the user guide and found nothing on selecting books from shelves.  Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
Sigma2398

@Book_werm - try hitting the back button.  You're probably in a submenu.

Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

D'oh!  Thank you!  The morning cobwebs in my brain definitely struck again.

It's a bit counter-intuitive that once I jump to a shelf I can't automatically scroll through books, but have to back out one level of menus to then scroll, but, hey, I'm still happy!

Contributor
NookerBC

Does anyone know if/when the shelf sorting will be supported on the PC?I've looked online on my B&N account and tried the PC Nook app but neither seems to support shelves.

I have about 300+ eBooks and would love to just click and drag all onto a shelf, similar to how iTunes lets you make playlists. Going through each eBook on the nook is SO time consuming and painful with all the reloads, every time you shelve one, you need to go flipping back to the next one, shelve, repeat. I know the nook itself has some speed and UI limitations, if the PC/Mac nook apps allowed you to quickly sort and manage shelves, that would be SO nice!

New User
Koriania
0 Kudos

For my vote:

Make individual shelves be able to be hidden, and create the category for unshelved books. Not to get rid of all the shelving you did, but to create a shelf like "Reference" "School" "Sci-Fi" and then hide JUST the "Reference" Shelf.

Also, nicknaming and manual organization of books would be great.