Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Sideloaded content, covers, and more

[ Edited ]

I've had some trial and error experience here and until this gets fixed in some way, here are some things to try.

Keep in mind this is only for non-drmed content or even content you have converted from PDFs or created yourself.

Helpful programs:

Calibre-you can use this to convert files into epub format.  It converts pdfs, pdbs, and many others that are not drmed.

Sigil-this is great for cleaning up epubs.

Sigil is a WYSIWYG epub editor.  There is another program out there call epubhub that will import and convert xhtml files to ebpub, but I have not had occasion to use that much and it is a relatively new program. 

My suggestion is if you download a lot of open epubs from many different sources and they look crummy or chapters aren't showing up well, that you start by running it through Calibre.  Add it to your Calibre library and even though it is already in epub form, convert it to epub.  Calibre will add the cover image to an image file.  In order to fix chapters-one book I had simply listed every chapter as "Chapter" with no numbering-take the book into Sigil and make sure that the chapter names and numbers are in one unbroken sentence.  Sometimes they are formatted to have the chapter number below the name separated by a hard return or break.  You don't want that.  Move them up into one sentence by deleting this return/break.

Once you have done all the editing you feel is necessary with this epub, save it.  It is easiest to just do a save since if you do a save as, you will have to re-add it to Calibre.  This file (and any that you want show covers) will need to be re-converted with Calibre.  When you select the ebook, hit convert and select individually.  The Metadata editing screen will come up.  Under the cover image, you will want to select to change the cover image and go to that ebook folder in your Calibre library and select the cover image.  Edit any other metadata that is not right such as if a book is in a series of other books and such and then hit OK.  Conversion will start.  Now you can sideload the book onto your nook.  You should be able to go to chapters and covers should show up.

Basically, no matter if an ebook is in epub format to begin with or not, I use Calibre to add the ebook to my Calibre library and then hit convert to add the cover even though it looks like it's there.

Calibre will convert PDFs and you can use Sigil to clean them up and again re-convert them to epubs in Calibre adding in the cover.

Not all epubs have been created in the best way for reading on the nook-I don't know what happens to them, but for me it is always best with open content that I'm going to sideload to add to Calibre, and re-select the cover file and convert to epub again.

Also, if you have an ebook that has no cover or one you don't like, you could add your own picture to it and make it look better, all using Calibre.

Sorry that this is so long and I hope it makes some sense.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloaded content, covers, and more

Thank you. Downloading sigil now. Hopefully I can clean up some ebooks I converted.
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloaded content book covers

[ Edited ]

I am re-hashing this thread since others still have questions regarding how to have book covers show up for sideloaded non-secure content.

The shorter version of this thread for having covers show up is to load an epub into Calibre and select convert.  Check the metadata and to make sure the cover will show up select the browse button below the image next to where it says "change cover image" to load it once again.  You will select the cover image from the location where Calibre placed it when the book was added to the Calibre Library.  Then make sure other metadata info is correct, such as the author's name, and convert to epub.  Yes, you are converting epub to epub, but this will make sure the cover is there.

For further editing you can use Sigil for chapters and so on.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
luvnbooks
0 Kudos

Thank you SO MUCH for this.  I've been using Calibre and Sigil, but did not realize I needed to re-imprint the covers on the files for the NC to recognize them.  Now my library is looking good!

Reader 4
gprichardson
0 Kudos

I've had real inconsistent results with this process. I've been able to get some covers to appear on sideloaded book, but not so on others. I seem to have more trouble with book where I change the cover.

Anyone else having inconsistent results? If so, have you figured out a trick to get all your covers to appear?

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Just one other point to add.

For the techie among you, the "standard expression" filters within the Calibre conversion are also very helpful in removing headers, footers, and other strangeness. Although the syntax is esoteric, to say the least, calibre has a wysiwyg mechanism so you can see what your filter is doing to the xml in the file.

Not recommended for the faint of heart.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gprichardson wrote:

I've had real inconsistent results with this process. I've been able to get some covers to appear on sideloaded book, but not so on others. I seem to have more trouble with book where I change the cover.

Anyone else having inconsistent results? If so, have you figured out a trick to get all your covers to appear?

Every one of my 46 ebooks that I did this way have worked.  There were 2 that I thought didn't, but when I looked back at my Calibre Library I saw that I had not even added them yet so they had not been converted. 

If this is not working, the next thing to try is to load the epub into Sigil and save it again as an epub and then use the Calibre epub to epub conversion.  There were a few that I did this way because I was fixing them when converting from pdfs to docs back to pdfs and then to epubs-I was doing this to edit books and I wanted to do initial editing in Word.  Once I had them in epub format, I used Sigil for some further editing and then saved them again as epubs and converted epub to epub in Calibre to fix the covers.

One note though I doubt it makes a difference is that I just drag and drop the epub to my NC and I don't load it through Calibre.

I can't say this is 100% foolproof, but it has worked for me so far.