Contributor
stamasd
0 Kudos

Since 1.4.2 Nook Color won't remember last page read

[ Edited ]

As the title says. Since my NC was upgraded to 1.4.2, it always resets the current page to the first one of the book I'm reading every time I turn it off. This happens on every single one of the books I own. I had no issues with it until this upgrade, but now every time I turn it on I find it at the first page of the current book, and have to scroll manually to where I had left off before. I am very upset about this.

Reader 2
Bronxgrl
0 Kudos

Re: Since 1.4.2 Nook Color won't remember last page read

Same issue here and it freezes constantly called Customer Service and their solution was to deresgister and erase then "see if it works."  What???  Why can't it just work. For 250 dollars (bought stupidly in early 2011) it should work.  If the Software is an Upgrade then it should not Douwngrade the device.

Yep I'm mad.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yep totally understand your frustration and anger. They just continue on ignoring doing a complete overhaul of how it is implemented with no way to roll back. And just gave up and rolled my own N2A card for full android last year.

Now can decide on what apps like better ereader app like Aldiko. Better web browsing with Dolphin HD and local apps like bus schedules,google maps,streets and local news,weather,etc apps.

And never bother with the B&N side anymore and still believe mine is v 1.3.0 last I checked.

Great device! Crappy after-support and buggy firmware that requires a full de-register and re-register and re-do your setup all over again? GIVE ME A Break!

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
New User
BookishChic
0 Kudos

If you click on CONTENTS at the beginning of the book there is a tab that will read BOOKMARKS you should be able to find all your bookmarks there. Usually after clicking on one of those bookmarks, the next few times you come back to the story it will give you the option of going to your bookmarked page via a message stating an option of return to the last page read on the other device (the other device actually being your Nook Color). Hope this helps, Happy reading.

Contributor
stamasd
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No, it doesn't work. I have no bookmarks. Do I now have to make bookmarks every time I turn the nook off? It didn't work like this before. If they changed it like this on purpose, BIG thumbs down.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

I have not had any issues since the update. I have read several books and magazines and it always remembers the last page. It might be that you had an issue prior to the update that maybe regegistering will correct.

And no you should not have to use bookmarks. New users tend to think of bookmarks like they were reading a physical book and it takes a while to realize that the only time you should have to use a bookmark is to refer back to a section in a book - not to pick up where you left off.

Frequent Contributor
ColleenBland

The 1.4.2 was a pretty big update that really pushed the Nookcolor to the max. It could be that your Nookcolor is experiencing some RAM based performance issues. Go into your Nook settings, then "device info". You should have a total of 5.09 Gigiabytes of BN content space available and a total of 1 Gigabyte of "Other Storage". It doesn't matter how much you've used, only how the space is broken up.

If you see less BN content space than 5G and more than 1G of "Other"; your Nookcolor needs to be repartitioned. What Barnes & Noble discovered, was that after running several updates, a Nookcolor needs more memory for the OS and less for "other". The company started repartitioning this after some wonky things were occuring as updates appeared. This lack of memory with the page number thing sounds suspiciously like a RAM based issue. If you have your Nookcolor repartitioned at your local BN store, I bet it will fix this issue. Here's how they'll do it:

You bring your Nookcolor in, and give it to the rep. They will then put a special micro sd card into your Nookcolor, power it down, and then back up again. The partition part will take about ten minutes, then they will have you re-register it to your BN account. All your old stuff will reappear, but you will need to enter your BN password and email, so be sure to have access to these things before the reset is performed. The downside to this process is that you will have to re-download your stuff. The upside is that you will have a faster and better running Nookcolor. FYI: all "sideloaded" content (stuff you may have loaded from your computer) will be lost, so be sure to back up any photos or music you may have put on here before running this repartition.

You must go to an actual store to do this, so if may be a slight inconvenience.  I bet this will fix your issues though. Hope this helps....

Frequent Contributor
ColleenBland

RE: (If you click on CONTENTS at the beginning of the book there is a tab that will read BOOKMARKS you should be able to find all your bookmarks there. Usually after clicking on one of those bookmarks, the next few times you come back to the story it will give you the option of going to your bookmarked page via a message stating an option of return to the last page read on the other device (the other device actually being your Nook Color). Hope this helps, Happy reading.)

I don't like to point out mistakes, but entering a bookmark only dog-ears the page for future reflection, your Nookcolor won't ever prompt you to navigate to a bookmark unless you open the table of contents and elect to navigate to this bookmark directly. The message that you are referring to occurs in the instance that you have more than one gadget registered to one BN account. (i.e. a computer, ipad, another nook, smartphone app etc) Sometimes people have more than one device registered to the same account and they want the Nook to remember the page number across the board so that they are not constantly jumping  and rooting through large areas of text to catch up. This would be choosing to go to last page read on other device. Sometimes people do not want multiple devices to remember eachothers' page numbers if there actually is more than one person using the devices. In this instance, you would want to stay where I am. Having more than one gadget will cause this message, not your bookmarks.

Bookmarks are particularly useful if multiple people are using the same device and reading the same book, but each person will need to open the table of contents and elect to navigate to the bookmark of their choosing. Bookmarks are also a more efficient way of recalling a particular passage without going through the act of highlighting and taking notes. Simply tap the upper right hand corner, and that page is embedded in your e-book's memory bank of bookmarks.

In any event, the problem that this person is having seems to relate to the actual performance of the Nook itself, not the operation of it. The good news is that you personally won't have to bookmark each page in order for your Nookcolor to remember, it will do so all on it's own.

It's great that you're helping people on the blogs! I just wanted to clarify this info for you, and others in the future.

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

stamasd wrote:

No, it doesn't work. I have no bookmarks. Do I now have to make bookmarks every time I turn the nook off? It didn't work like this before. If they changed it like this on purpose, BIG thumbs down.

The short answer is ... yes, bookmark your page.  I have this same problem on my NT and every time I turn it off completely, it forgets where I was in any book.  The hint about going to "content" at the bottom of the page, then selecting "bookmarks" only works if you have manually entered bookmarks.  If I don't turn the NT "off", and just put it to sleep, it remembers my page without any problem.  It's a really annoying little problem.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Reader
DeeMarie55
0 Kudos

I have version 1.4.3 and still have the same problem...have returned my nook once for this issue and now I will have to return again. And they also keep telling me to reset to factory settings. I have done that  and it works temporarily.

Frequent Contributor
thatdbaclk
0 Kudos

I'm supporting a Nook for my Older Parents! I am seeking good reference link for what was actually installed with 1.4.2! I have plans on doing the 1.4.3 update for them!

I also thought I saw where 1.4.4 for Nook Color was out?  I'm at this point only attempting to find the Official Link page for these updates 1.4.2. For 1.4.3 I have this Link (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Color/379003190/).

Also is their a Subscription Page/Board we can get add to so that Folks like me (who support their Family on this device get the notification)?

Another Android Device (Nook Color)! Looking forward to the day I can use One Device Big Enough Screen Wise for: Phone and Surfing the Net.....this NC is Just Right!