Contributor
timeracer
0 Kudos

Since upgrade magazines go to blank screen immediately after opening

Someone else posted this on Nook Tech board and was told to resubmit here.  I haven't seen it but I am having same problem.  Nook will be working fine.  I'm reviewing lots on the "Pulse" news app, and then when I want to open a magazine, screen goes black.  Turning off and back on brings up my password page and as soon as I enter password the magazine page flashes and Nook color goes black.  After many tries I left it alone and next morning it was back to normal.  The following night was a repeat of the problem and screen is now black...What's going on?

New User
CptPlastic
0 Kudos

Re: Since upgrade magazines go to blank screen immediately after opening

SAME THING......

I just got one and it is doing the same thing on magazines. I restarted it a few times but no luck. I wish a fix would be released. I was showing my lovely woman the magazines and it never worked nice NOOK very NICE!

Contributor
timeracer
0 Kudos

Another subscriber offered this tip and so far it is working for me.  When this problem ocurrs, use the off button being very sure to hold it down long enough for the box which says "do you want to power off" to come up.  Then it will dim and power off.  This apparently assures it has logged out properly and clears away any previous errors (the magazine loading problem).    After I have done this the magazine loads properly when I turn the nook on again.  Hope it works for you.

New User
kirbytk4
0 Kudos

i have had the same problem,doing the shutdown, i was able to get back on the nook, but when i tried the magazine, it went black again. i do love the nook and the new software is awesome, only problem i have has been with the magazines!! hope they fix it soon!!

New User
Z0MBIEGIRL
0 Kudos

I had the same problem last night.  Emailed B & N but no response yet.  In the meantime, I found this forum and that was not an easy task.  I archived all of my magazines I'd read and then pulled up the latest edition and the problem was resolved.  I think they need to address this issue though as I didn't have a problem prior to the most current update.  Good luck :smileyhappy:

New User
Z0MBIEGIRL
0 Kudos

Have you archived your magazines?  Leave one open and archive the rest.  It worked for me. Good luck!

New User
InsidiousDr9
0 Kudos

+1.

I was using it up to last week - no problems.  Now, opening new magazines seems to crash it - or at least put the screen into hibernate.

Side loaded books seem to work ok.

Where is the email for support for nook color?

New User
hoferc
0 Kudos

We had this same problem this week, two color nooks in family on same account, both upgraded software; one nook suddenly starts going blank every time we open "Newsweek" (the only magazine we get). We had to do a total powerdown and reboot just to get the screen back, then every time we tried to open a magazine again, we got the black screen. So we CALLED B&N Tech Support and the guy walked me through archiving ALL of the magazines, then re-downloading one, and now the magazine seems fine. If you don't want to wait for an email response, and want someone on the phone to troubleshoot your nook with you, CALL 1-800-843-2665 and you will get to a tech support person. He helped me fix it in under 5 minutes.

New User
Z0MBIEGIRL
0 Kudos

Have you archived your magazines leaving only new ones open?  It does work and easy to do.  

Contributor
JetsJetsJets
0 Kudos

Well I just got off the phone with tech support and the only thing they suggested to do was to erase and re-register.  I subscribe to 3 mags and have for a few months now with no issues until trying to open a magazine today.  I will try and archive all my mags first before re-registering.

New User
Rogo25
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with Consumer Reports. It's the first magazine I purchased so I don't have any older issues to archive. Any other suggestions?

New User
Rogo25
0 Kudos

B&N Customer Service e-mailed me the solution below and it worked.

1. Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, then release the
power
button.
2. Press the power button again for 2 seconds.
3. On the Home
Page, go to ?Library? and tap the sync button located in
the lower left
corner of the screen.

Reader 2
gordboy
0 Kudos

I've gone a couple months since the upgrade with no problems using my 4 magazine subscriptions. then, today, i get the blank screen when opening. newspaper and books are fine.

I tried everything mentioned in this thread. the only thing that worked was erase and deregister. unfortunately, that fix only lasted about an hour and now is back to where it was (blank screen).

I just cancelled all my B&N magazine subscriptions. such a shame...