Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Slide to Unlock Frozen

I've had my Nookcolor since February of 2010.  Recently I have notice that on several occasions when I wake my nook up the slide to unlock is unresponsive.  What gives?  I don't know why but it just will not move.  If I leave it alone for 10 minutes or shut it down then it will start to work again.

Anyone else having this issue?

mrskooshie
Frequent Contributor
Luvmynookie
0 Kudos

Re: Slide to Unlock Frozen

My daughter and I are both having this issue - frustrating...

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

I have heard that temperature changes (the Nook screen is cold) can effect the ability of the touch screen to work.  This also applies to high humidity conditions.

I know that my hands are very dry and don't always work well on the touch screens so maybe that has something to do with your problem also.  (years ago my kids had a series of workbooks that used a touch stylus to indicate the correct answer, it buzzed when touching the right answer - my kids with their very moist fingers could cause the stylus to buzz, I could not make it buzz ever - no conductivity due to dryness)

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

Yes, me too. Although I wouldn't say what I'm experiencing is freezing exactly. Occasionally, my swipe to unlock doesn't move the bar. I will rub my finger on something fabric and swipe again. The bar then unlocks my NC. Rarely that won't do the trick and then I wipe the screen, try again, success. I have not had to turn off/on.

Terry

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

whiteoakBR wrote:

I have heard that temperature changes (the Nook screen is cold) can effect the ability of the touch screen to work.  This also applies to high humidity conditions.

I know that my hands are very dry and don't always work well on the touch screens so maybe that has something to do with your problem also.  (years ago my kids had a series of workbooks that used a touch stylus to indicate the correct answer, it buzzed when touching the right answer - my kids with their very moist fingers could cause the stylus to buzz, I could not make it buzz ever - no conductivity due to dryness)

Generally when this happens my Nook isn't cold or humid, my hands are often dry but not always.  I took my Nook to the store and the rep told me they often have the same issue. 

I personally believe that this is something in the software since I have had my nook for pratically a year and have only just started experiencing this issue.

mrskooshie
Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

I agree - it's something in the update.  I've had mine over a year and never had this happen before the update.  I also don't think it has anything to do with humidity or dirty screen.  I think it's a problem waking from sleep mode.  If I click it back to sleep and wake it again, it works fine.  Almost always take 2 wake ups to get it going these days.

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

I also have this occasional "stuck slide to unlock frozen" problem, it occurred shortly after the update to 1.4.1 but not prior to the update.  My work-around is to stab (not gently touch) the slide with your finger once or twice, then drag.

It appears that BN changed something with the touch sensitivity with the 1.4.1 update.  I have real problems using touch gestures with the magazine reader after 1.4.1.  For instance, if I want to zoom by "pinching," about 50-75% of the time I also trigger the thumbnail page view, it's very frustrating and I have not been able to figure out how to "pinch" correctly without triggering the thumbnails using the new software.

Contributor
Rjs7
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I also have noticed the problem with the slide not moving to wake it up.  I have had my nook color since Dec. 2010 and it only started doing this after the latest update.  I am hoping they will fix this with the next update.

Frequent Contributor
d_meister
0 Kudos

Mine does it, too. Also since the update. Since then, the runaway page turns have stopped, but now have the occasional stuck page syndrome.

Frequent Contributor
COBHC
0 Kudos

when that happens try to press and hold the home key and the power buttom at the same time for 15 secs if doesnt work try to plug it to the computer 

my hate is constant and sharp and i do not hope for a better world for anyone in fact i want my pain to be inflicted on others
Frequent Contributor
d_meister
0 Kudos

To get by the stuck page thing, I find it easiest to use the slider to go past the desired page and just flick back to it. The unresponsive slider usually wakes up within a few seconds.

New User
WordsPerMinute
0 Kudos

This product was clearly rushed to market before it was ready.  We are kind of placeholders for B&N so that we won't go to Kindle-Amazon.  Look touch screen technology is so old that it should have no flaws in it.  A trained arctic seal should be able to unlock these screens with his cold flippers.

Thousands of people on the web are complaining about these touch screens.  My Nook arrived with its back not even fully attached correctly.  But I was so excited I overlooked the flaw.  Then within weeks the screen became non-responsive. I let the 90 day warranty lapse. Oh and by the way I have the Nook basic not the color.  Its interesting even the color Nook has same problem.   

I took my Nook that I could no unlock and I brought it to my B&N store.  I explained the problem.  The fella  took the Nook, gave it a light flick and it unlocked!  I felt like an idiot because of course that's when the thing decided to cooperate.