Contributor
gladmornings
0 Kudos

Re: The power cord melted my nook color.

For anyone who may have been interested, I charged my Nook with the new cord and my Nook did not run hot, just the slightest bit warm along the center right bezel.  The wall unit did turn toasty warm soon after it began charging (from a 35% battery), but was only maybe half as hot as it used to get with the old cord, and had cooled considerably by end of charge time.

So we'll see...

New User
NotHappy2
0 Kudos

Here it is August 2011,and you still haven't' figure out the problem. Are you going to wait until someone house burns down from this. You have all of our emails the least you could have done is send out a recall. This is the second nook that I have had. The first one had problems powering on and off. This is just going to catch my house on fire. Now I get to sit on hold (as of now over 25 minutes) with someone from the Philippians. I'm going to return for my money back.

Distinguished Correspondent
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

Just today, a couple of pieces broke off the connector shell at the NC end of my power/USB cord, under the open ends of the "n" light.  The charger still works, but the (insulated) wires are now exposed.  Heading to my local B&N for a replacement cable.  I got my NC 4/15/2011 and hadn't noticed any issues with heat.

New User
KJai2222
0 Kudos

I purchased my color nook may 31, 2011 and love it.  but today i came home from work and the cord was melted and i began searching for information.  i used the support agent on b&n site and they are supposed to call me within 48 hours.  it seems to still be a problem.  a note of caution to nook users.

Contributor
nonuthin
0 Kudos

Mine got so hot- at the connection from the nook to the cord - that I dropped it.It would've started a fire, but I won't let that happen again. This is a problem!!!
Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine

KJai and nonuthin -- customer support agents will be reaching out to you shortly. --Sam

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

I have replaced the cord three times and charger twice. All three chargers ran "almost too hot to touch" as a normal condition.  Of course, I start the charge at 20% and run it for a couple of hours.

New User
Heyman
0 Kudos

I Think the NC charger and cable is its blind spot.First of all frequently when I charge my NC,the charger get very HOT! And then the cable!Inelastic, husky and so poor in quality,Once I want to charge my NC,I see the small head of the cable(microUSB) is broken!!

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Glad to hear about this as I normally charge my NC at night while sleeping. Think I will change that habit today!
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The only time I have ever noticed the power cord even get warm is when I was using it and charging it at the same time. Otherwise in the 10 months I have had it I have never even felt it get warm. So just as a cautionary post - not all users have had problems with their cables but those people don't post they don't have problems so it begins to look like everyone has problems.

If you have a laptop and leave it plugged in for a long time - the power transformer gets really warm also.

So it should be common sense not to leave anything charging while you are not home - especially for a long period of time. If nothing else it is a big waste of power.

Reader
jbburk
0 Kudos

While charging her unit overnight this weekend my mother-in-law's Nook Color power cord melted at the unit-side plug and partially melted the casing around the Nook's power port. I am thankful that this did not result in a fire.

We had taken the unit to our local B&N, and they had replaced it without question (we had purchased the extended warranty). The customer service rep had taken the back off of the converter cover at the plug, and there did not appear to be any damage to the board or capacitors, which seemed odd; all the damage occurred at the power connection port on the unit. The rep had also called corporate to see if this was an isolated incident, and they stated that this was the first time they had heard of this happening and instructed the store to send it in for further investigation. After looking at these messages, it is seems like it is not an isolated incident. Hmmmm...

All else aside, many thanks to the great custormer service at this store! They are always willing to help, and will go the extra mile to keep their customers happy.

Reader
lovetoreadTK
0 Kudos

I had my NC plugged in while making breakfast my four year old touched it and started crying I went to see what was wrong and picked it up, We both now have burn marks. Seriously!!!!!!!! Im now on hold for 20 minutes and counting. Now Im reading all this on here that has been going on for how many years?! What if my house burnt down? Not to mention the fact that my son was hurt. Someone needs to answer my call. Im so upset and the waiting is not helping to calm me down. AND for the record it was only plugged in for about 20 minutes.

Frequent Contributor
JEB63
0 Kudos

For anyone having problems with the Nook Color AC Adapter or cord, especially those where things are melting, burning, electrical arcs are seen (fast blue flame), or even slight burns to fingers, please go to

www.saferproducts.gov/

and file an incident report.  I had a Nook Color AC Adapter get extremely hot to the point my fingers were sore after touching it.  After unplugging it and letting it cool, the adapter no longer functions.  This appears to be a pretty common problem.  Model number for the AC Adapter/charger is BNRP5-1900.