Frequent Contributor
qballrail
0 Kudos

Touch Screen Calibration

I can't find anything in the settings to adjust touch calibration.  I've noticed this because sometimes when I touch a button, it won't respond.  Why does it sometimes highlight something you've touched but not actually respond?  Also, does anyone else have problems with the browser not responding to touch?  Every device I have owned that had a touch screen required calibration, but not the NC and I cannot find any documentation regarding this.

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen Calibration

It does not require calibration. Make sure your screen is clean because it's pretty sensitive to fingerprints and other stuff on the screen. What version of the os are you on?

Frequent Contributor
qballrail
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

qballrail wrote:

I can't find anything in the settings to adjust touch calibration.  I've noticed this because sometimes when I touch a button, it won't respond.  Why does it sometimes highlight something you've touched but not actually respond?  Also, does anyone else have problems with the browser not responding to touch?  Every device I have owned that had a touch screen required calibration, but not the NC and I cannot find any documentation regarding this.

I've had older devices with resistive touch screens that had calibration algorithms built into their firmware, but I've not had a capacitive touch screen device in some years now that requires it or even has the feature at all.

Like most of these modern, high resolution capacative screens, the NC does not have any calibration feature.  Usually, when a button doesn't respond, it's not because the screen failed to detect the touch, but the software for that program that interpretes it is locked up or not responding.  Sometimes closing that app (eg. browser) and open another, then going back to it may fix it.  Or, the unfortunate, but nowadays usual remedy of powering the device off, then re-starting it may clear out the glitch.  If it occurs repeatedly with the same app, it is possibly just bad code or implentation in that app.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Even with a clean screen, the calibration is off on my NC. I have to touch the screen a little ABOVE where I intend to touch, because the NC registers my touch a little below the spot I do touch. A capacitive stylus helps on the keyboard, but the stylus does not work with some apps.

Frequent Contributor
qballrail
0 Kudos

It's tough to keep a touch screen clean, no matter how much hand-washing you do, there are still oils that will transfer to the screen.  I would hope that something like this would have that considered to make it more finger-print resistant.  I've heard the protective strips reduce functionality.  I think calibration is a must no matter what if it's touch-sensitive.  Maybe they can add that feature to 1.4?

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

The screen protectors actually make the screen much easier to use and control, keep it really clean and make it much easier to see outside. I put off getting one for a long time but I am really glad I did. They come in a 2 pack at B&N and come with a micro fiber cleaning cloth also.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

I have had fewer issues since adding the anti-glare screen. I think it is mostly a matter of getting used to the pressures and location of touch needed. Sometimes, my screen is so very responsive that it goes to a link before I am absolutely sure I have actually touched the screen ;0) I get fewer fingerprints now that I use the anti-glare screen, as well. I usually wipe the screen a little before waking up my nookcolor...a hand towel, the edge of a t-shirt, a tissue or the actual cleaning cloth..they all work fine for me.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Distinguished Correspondent
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

susgod wrote:

I have to touch the screen a little ABOVE where I intend to touch, because the NC registers my touch a little below the spot I do touch.

I've found that the part of my fingertip which actually touches the screen is a little farther back than I thought :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Trontech42
0 Kudos