Reader
RoyLB
0 Kudos

Turning laptop into wireless access point

(for the true tech geeks)

Hi,

I do not have a wireless router, but I do have a Windows XP laptop with a wireless card. I belive it should be possible to have the Nook color acess the internet via the laptop, but I cannot seem to make it happen. From reading the forums, I know I need the laptop to be a Wireless Access Point, and not an Ad Hoc connection. I probably need some software as well. Any ideas would be appreciated.

- Roy

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Turning laptop into wireless access point

[ Edited ]

RoyLB wrote:

(for the true tech geeks)

Hi,

I do not have a wireless router, but I do have a Windows XP laptop with a wireless card. I belive it should be possible to have the Nook color acess the internet via the laptop, but I cannot seem to make it happen. From reading the forums, I know I need the laptop to be a Wireless Access Point, and not an Ad Hoc connection. I probably need some software as well. Any ideas would be appreciated.

- Roy

Can't be done.

If you were able to set your laptop as an access point (infrastructure, not ad-hoc).   I guess plain and simple....there's much more to accessing the internet than just a "connection"

Wireless routers are quite inexpensive, presuming you have an internet connection (for your laptop).....it would cost well below $100 to add a class B wireless AP to your internet connection.

B is speed limited to 11mbps but that is quite sufficient for web browsing and/or downloading books.

---------
Don
Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

g0tr00t wrote:

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k69jPfpxosc

That's a function of that particular wireless card, it isn't a generic function applicable to all network cards.   It also typically reuires you to log onto your laptop once connected vi WiFi and you can't do that on the NC.

As an example, my wireless card is an Intel, and it's AdHoc ONLY.

Just taking a quick look on Amazon for wireless routers.....lots can be found brand new in the $40 price range....even g routers.

---------
Don
Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

Thanks Don. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Also, dedicated routers are usually better firewalls to insulate you from the "wild west" of the internet. I wouldn't want to connect any computer directly to the modem.

I use this one, $29 from Amazon, with my Nook Color (and a bunch of other devices). I did turn off 802.11n, however (although I'm not sure I needed to).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VJL0OS/ref=oss_product

Reader
RoyLB
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if my wireless card supports WAP and if I can find some s/w. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

- Roy

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

if you do decide to get a router I would browse this post a bit as well...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/List-of-working-routers-and-setup...

There have been a few routers that have had less than stellar success in connecting with the NC, mine included.