New User
Sakr29
0 Kudos

Unable to open connection to server

I've had my Nook Color for over 3 years.  About 4 weeks ago I was suddenly unable to access Facebook and email.  After trying to change the settings myself with no luck, I took my Nook into a B&N store.  They tried a few things and then did a factory reset.  It seemed to do the trick at the store.  However, at home I realized that the Nook was just getting to the preview page of the website.  When I tried digging deeper into the site, it stopped working and said the web page was not available. When I try to setup an email account, I get the message, "Unable to open connection to server."   My wifi connection works fine with other devices.  And the books on my Nook work fine.  I'm frustrated!!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: Unable to open connection to server

[ Edited ]

Sakr29 wrote:

I've had my Nook Color for over 3 years.  About 4 weeks ago I was suddenly unable to access Facebook and email.  After trying to change the settings myself with no luck, I took my Nook into a B&N store.  They tried a few things and then did a factory reset.  It seemed to do the trick at the store.  However, at home I realized that the Nook was just getting to the preview page of the website.  When I tried digging deeper into the site, it stopped working and said the web page was not available. When I try to setup an email account, I get the message, "Unable to open connection to server."   My wifi connection works fine with other devices.  And the books on my Nook work fine.  I'm frustrated!!

The e-mail error message means that you probably did not use the correct port settings. Your e-mail provider usually supplies the needed information on its website.

Or you do not have a working Wifi connection.

What do you mean with "preview page of the website"?

Do you have a working Wifi connection on your Nook yes of no?

New User
Sakr29
0 Kudos

Yes, I have a working wifi connection.  I guess it's called the "overview" page, not the preview page. And how do I find out the correct port settings for gmail?  Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Reader
floridagirlLT

I'm also having trouble with my Nook Color with e-mail and also Facebook.  I changed browser to Puffin Web that was a Free Friday App and I am able to get into Facebook with that but not with the regular browser.  I said Web page not available even the Google Search.  I even went to Barnes and Noble and it works fine there. 

On the e-mail it says "Unable to open connection to server".   I have comcast as my internet server. My wifi is Belkin and it works fine. 

Don't want to Deregister my Nook as it did not seem to help the previous one. Any ideas.

Thanks.

New User
paysongal
0 Kudos

My problem exactly!