New User
aid137
0 Kudos

Unable to sync PC downloaded book to NC

Hi all,

I do not have wi-fi available (I'm in Iraq), and I have purchased books on my PC to transfer to my NC.  I have transferred them to my NC via the USB, and they appear in my files, under books in my NC.  However, they are not opening and they appear as a question mark in my NC.  

These books were purchased from the BN website, and do appear in my e-reader that is installed on my PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to open them on my NC?  Thank you!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Unable to sync PC downloaded book to NC

aid137 wrote:

Hi all,

I do not have wi-fi available (I'm in Iraq), and I have purchased books on my PC to transfer to my NC.  I have transferred them to my NC via the USB, and they appear in my files, under books in my NC.  However, they are not opening and they appear as a question mark in my NC.  

These books were purchased from the BN website, and do appear in my e-reader that is installed on my PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to open them on my NC?  Thank you!

Is your NC registered with B&N?    If not, then you won't be able to read B&N books on it until it is.    The books are encrypted to YOUR specific account and until your NC is registered (if it isn't already) to the same account as your PC, it won't know how to decrypt those books.

---------
Don
Contributor
repapipa
0 Kudos

Does the books on your my files folder have a .epub extension name only? Or does it have something like .v1.epub? If the latter, you have to rename it first to make sure that there's only one extension name which is .epub before you transfer it to my files folder of the NC or else your NC won't be able to recognize the file, thus the ? mark.

New User
aid137
0 Kudos

They end with v1.pbd

What do I rename them to?

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

aid137 wrote:

They end with v1.pbd

What do I rename them to?

It won't matter what you rename them, the Nookcolor cannot read pdb files. The NC can only read epub or pdf files.

Sounds like your PC is a Mac.  The nook reader app on the Mac downloads pdb ebook files while a regular (Windows) PC downloads epubs.  If you no longer have internet access you're out of luck until you can do a direct download from your BN account.  Since I don't have a Mac, I don't know if the direct download will be an epub or default to pdb for a Mac. You'll need a Mac user to answer that.

Either way you will still have to rename the file by removing the ".vXX" so that the file is "Filename.epub".  Even so I would suggest renaming the file using the book title rather than the isbn.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

If you do have a Mac, download either Nook for Mac or NookStudy for Mac, they sync the downloaded books correctly, no file name changes. From there, you can sideload to your NC.

Hope that helps!