Contributor
KyleBH
0 Kudos

Very very slow charging...

I've had my NC about a month and it always charged up from a low charge to full charge in a few hours.  Suddenly, it is charging very very slowly.  After nearly 18 hours of being plugged in (to the AC adapter) it has gone from about 53% to 95%.  This is with WiFi off and the screen blanking out after a few minutes, so very low power draw.

Suggestions? 

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Re: Very very slow charging...

Try unplugging it. Mine did the same thing, and when I disconnected it, it showed it was at 100%, even though it showed 48% when plugged in.

Also, try turning your NC completely off, wait a minute or so, then turn it back on... like rebooting a computer, it seems to fix some of these "little" things.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

Is the adapter itself excessively warm?  It has a breaker inside, so if it overheated or overloaded it may have tripped.  If so, unplug it, let it cool off and then re-try it.

Contributor
KyleBH
0 Kudos

I tried both of the above suggestions and I get the same thing, very very slow charging.

Regarding the power brick, it is notable that its not warm at all, whereas I believe it previously got a bit warm during charging, which is quite normal for this type of device.  That indicates what is obviously happening, the NC is not receiving much power from the charger (albeit some).

So what is the likely culprit - the charger or the NC?

Is it time to contact support for a replacement?

Thanks,

Kyle

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

If you have a B&N nearby, take your NC and charger/cord with you, they can tell from their charger/cord if you need a new charger, or if the problem is the NC.

Contributor
KyleBH
0 Kudos

BTW - what is the normal charge time for a Nook Color? Say from 10% charge to fully charged? (with wall AC charger). Thanks, Kyle
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

A.C. = 3-4 hours tops.

Computer Usb charging from 35% was in the 8-9 hrs. range for me.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

KyleBH wrote:

I tried both of the above suggestions and I get the same thing, very very slow charging.

Regarding the power brick, it is notable that its not warm at all, whereas I believe it previously got a bit warm during charging, which is quite normal for this type of device.  That indicates what is obviously happening, the NC is not receiving much power from the charger (albeit some).

So what is the likely culprit - the charger or the NC?

Is it time to contact support for a replacement?

Thanks,

Kyle

The problem is it is only getting power fed on the standard USB ports so it's charging as if you plugged it into a computer or standard USB charger.

That points to the cord.    If the charger was defective, you'd get no charge at all.  

The NC power cord (USB cord) has 2 extra pins in it that are used to supply the full output of the charger to charge the battery.

I presume you've made sure the charing cable is plugged FULLY into the NC.

---------
Don
Contributor
KyleBH
0 Kudos

Don,

I think you are correct in that its a cord or connector issue.  BN is sending me a new cable and charger so we'll see if that fixes it.  Worst case the issue is the connector on the NC itself. 

Kyle

Reader 2
Lisapet
0 Kudos

My Nook is doing the same thing.I just received it 3 days ago and it charged the first time in about 4 hours to full 100%.

The next day it was almost at 0% power and i only used it for a few hours.I recharged it again ,and it took almost 24 hours to charge in my outlet.

Another problem is i cannot connect it to my pc to side load books.It gives me a message that Windows does not recognize the device?.I have tried using both usb ports and still cannot connect.Any advice?

Lisa

Contributor
KyleBH
0 Kudos

Plugged the NC AC adapter (with special Nook cable) into my Kill-A-Watt and it was drawing 5 Watts! No wonder its not charging fast. Still waiting on replacement, hopefully it's the cable. Kyle
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Lisapet wrote:

My Nook is doing the same thing.I just received it 3 days ago and it charged the first time in about 4 hours to full 100%.

The next day it was almost at 0% power and i only used it for a few hours.I recharged it again ,and it took almost 24 hours to charge in my outlet.

Another problem is i cannot connect it to my pc to side load books.It gives me a message that Windows does not recognize the device?.I have tried using both usb ports and still cannot connect.Any advice?

Lisa

In order for your computer to recognize the nook, you must awaken the nook.   That is, when you first plug it into your computer, your nook will light up the screen just as if you pushed the power button, you still MUST slide the green tab to the right to wake the nook up.   THEN it will be recognized by your computer.

It will take a very long time to charge your NC if you use anything other than the supplied AC charger and the special NC cable.    Charging from a computer USB port or trying to charge from teh AC adapter using a standard microUSB cable will SLOW charge your nook.   The AC adapter is not a standard USB charger type device, it can output 4 times the power a normal USB port (computer or charger) puts out.    To handle that power, the special NC cable has extra pins on it to supply that extra power to the charging circuit in the nook.

---------
Don
Contributor
KyleBH
0 Kudos

So it was the cable.  Received a new one and it charges just fine.  It now draws about 11 watts while charging compared to about 5 watts previously.