Contributor
BuzNook
0 Kudos

Videos on nook color

Has anyone had any luck sideloading an mpeg4 that would play on thier nook ?

Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

Re: Videos on nook color

I have converted quite a few videos to MP4 and they play perfectly on the nook.  I was surprised how well actually.   I used the free tool Any Video Converter.  This has worked on my personal / family videos.   

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

I had luck following the instructions at http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1225926.  Still tweaking but I've been able to get good quality video on there.

Contributor
BuzNook
0 Kudos

Thanks to both for the response--I'll have to give another try

New User
elizmellis
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor m4v Video support

[ Edited ]

I just got off the phone with a BN tech and NOOKcolor does not support m4v videos which according to the user guide it does support.

Frequent Contributor
JesseB
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor m4v Video support

I wouldn't take Tech Supports word for it, I was less than impressed with their knowledge (Clueless would be an appropriate description I think) on anything I asked them when I called...

Contributor
jsorvik
0 Kudos

I have successfully converted several of my movies on DVD to play on the NC using cucusoft DVD to ipad converter. The vides are actually pretty descent quality and the conversion process is easy.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@elizmellis,

NOOKcolor does support m4v Videos.

The aspect ratio and resolutions officially supported are:

Video Type: MP4, 3GP, 3G2, M4V

- MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480

- H.263 up to 352x288

- H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480

Frequent Contributor
rwillen
0 Kudos

With Handbrake I've been using the following settings:

1) Select ipod

2) Keep aspect ratio

3) If res is over 854x480, change width to 854

4) Change type from h.264 to mpeg4

5) Set video quality to 90%

Works well at downsizing my blurays.

DVD's you can skip step 3.

Frequent Contributor
rwillen
0 Kudos

JesseB wrote:

I wouldn't take Tech Supports word for it, I was less than impressed with their knowledge (Clueless would be an appropriate description I think) on anything I asked them when I called...

I haven't had a single m4v file work yet. The ONLY thing that has worked is the settings I just posted.

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

All of mine are MP4 converted with H.264 codec at 480 width (for iPod).   Every one that I've tried so far works fine.  I was worried that the low resolution would make the videos blocky, but ended up being pleasantly surprised.

Contributor
LoveMyToys
0 Kudos

what settings did you use? please be as specific as possible. Thanks.
Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

LoveMyToys wrote:
what settings did you use? please be as specific as possible. Thanks.

Here is another thread that might be helpful to you.  It has a lot of people specifying which settings worked for them. 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Encoding-video-for-Nook-Color/m-p...

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

My m4v videos work on the nook. I also use handbrake for conversion. I use the default settings for iPhone/iPod touch and set the resolution to the maximum allowed. The m4v videos I've converted this way work just fine.
Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

My husband used one called DVD Catalyst to rip mine to MP4, and it has a "Nook Color" setting on it already to optimize settings for the device so you don't have to do it manually.  I think the program was a $10 download (he originally got it for his Droid X).  Everything he has put on a microSD for me looks absolutely gorgeous and runs flawlessly!

Contributor
LoveMyToys
0 Kudos

Thanks - DVD Catalyst seems to work. Did you ,odify the player screensize or whst size did you use?
Contributor
LoveMyToys
0 Kudos

I was able to get two movies to convert and play using DVD Catalyst. I have tried Handbreak and cucu soft converter. I could get 2 h.264 files to play. I can't figure out what the diffence or discrerpancy is. Any other ideas?
New User
Sanborn32
0 Kudos

is there a setting in handbrake or cudvd to change audio encoding bitrate. I read that the NC does not like audio encoded at higher bitrates 48k etc but works fine at 41k. this also causes choppy framerate and stuttering in video as well as  the NC struggles to deal with the audio encoding.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You might try searching using handbrake as the key word. Personally, I use Catatlyst since it hax the default NC settings. Within it, you can also modify or change settings for your particular needs. I did so for one SD video to change it to 640x480, since the default was 1024x600. There are audio settings as well and the default is 128, I believe. I don't know as much as I would like, because most of my prior video editing has been with DVD creation software and not vice versa.

I don't know what the original sampling rates were for any video I've converted using catalyst.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

... one SD video to change it to 640x480, since the default was 1024x600.

I think you'll find that Catalyst will write a video format that fits the NC screen if you leave it at 1024x600. For example I'm copying a video right now that's being recorded at 832x448 even though the default Catalyst setting was higher. I believe it's going for "best fit".

Check out this link:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2010/06/why-is-the-resolution-different-than-what-you-have-selected/

My signature line is better than your signature line.