Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

WiFi disabled or no internet connection

[ Edited ]

When I bought my NC 4.5 months ago, it connected to my router immediately and held the connection.  Books and magazines downloaded quickly. 

I am currently running version 1.3 and have an N2A card.  For the past month, my WiFi connections have been extremely spotty at best.  I had to leave WiFi on for 30-45 minutes in order to download a single book on the standard OS.  WiFi connections on N2A were somewhat better, but not wonderful. 

Yesterday, while attempting to download an app onto my N2A card, my NOOK (showing about 40% battery life) died.  WiFi connection had been very spotty and downloading had stalled several times.

I tried to resuscitate my NC by charging it completely.  Although it seemed to be charging, I could not get it to wake up.  When the charger cord showed green, I tried, again unsuccessfully, to wake it; then I took it to my local B&N.  After several attempts at the store, it turned on and showed 85% battery life.

Last night, I WiFi would connect, but could not get an internet connection at all.  Today, I cannot maintain a WiFi connection for more than 3 seconds.  I have unplugged router and modem, disabled firewalls, turned my NC off and back on, and forgotten and then reinstalled my network router. 

In both standard OS and on N2A, WiFi turns on recognizes my home network, attempts to obtain IP address, attempts to connect, and then WiFi says disconnected.  Sometimes my home network shows "not in range" (I'm three feet from the router!); sometimes it says secured and remembered.  When it rescans, it will sometimes connect to my network for 2-3 seconds, but suddenly WiFi is "disconnected."

I have a D-Link DIR -615 router and am using a connection secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK.

CS says they will send me a refurbished NC which is fine, but not if the device is not the problem. 

Are there other things that I should try before getting a new NC and having to download and sideload all my content again?

Sorry for the length of this, but I do need help! 

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Re: WiFi disabled or no internet connection

Have you made any changes on the router before you started having a problem? I use WEP security on my router and never have a problem with my Nook. BluRay player or Smart TV. But I changed it to WKP to try to hook up a new wireless printer. After I made the change I could not get the Nook to aquire an address even though it showed connected. I changed it back to WEP and it was just fine.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion, but no changes have been made to my settings.  I have, however, solved the problem, at least for the moment. 

Now, don't laugh but in the process of rearranging my desktop after unplugging and replugging in the router as the Nook pop-up screen suggested (that suggestion, tried several times, didn't help) -- anyway, during the clean-up process I jiggled my router antennae.  The NOOK reacted!  I jiggled some more and Lo And Behold! My Wifi connected and maintained a connection for 20 minutes, until I turned it off.

It connected again this am without problems!  Can the solution really be that simple? :smileysurprised:

Contributor
penny0
0 Kudos

I have the same router (D-Link DIR -615), and my wi-fi connection to my NC has always been spotty. Drops constantly even in same room. Have lived with it for several months, but am considering getting a different router.

Reader
clickhere
0 Kudos

Re: Wife disabled or no internet connection

If NC can detect wifi network>>> best to do is to contact your ISP first.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Re: Wife disabled or no internet connection

:smileysad:  Yesterday, I was back to spotty connections.  I could not download a book I had just purchased.  

I called my ISP as newuser suggested.  They confirmed that they were able to "ping" my modem (and router?) and said the problem was therefore not theirs. 

I know at one time there was a list of routers and settings which worked with the NC.  Did anyone pay close enough attention to suggest an inexpensive router and settings which consistently deliver good service with NC?    I would be willing to switch!

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

whiteginger wrote:

It connected again this am without problems!  Can the solution really be that simple? :smileysurprised:

Yes it could.  The problem usually lies somewhere in the infinite space where thousands of wireless devices are trying to connect to thousands of types routers, with myriad setups for encryption, security, broadcasting statuses, channels and speeds, and interference and bandwidth and ISPs and outages... antenna placement... and you get my drift   :smileyhappy:

As an example from personal experience, my NC and my router have always been BFFs where I have to armwrestle my Nintendo Wii ALL THE TIME to get it to connect.

the joy of wireless electronics  ><

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I think that I have solved my connection problem.  I honestly think it was the router--a 5-year-old D-Link model. 

I put in many calls to NOOK CS and to my ISP and made many searches on these boards.  I tried all suggestions except those technical changes I didn't understand and didn't know how to attempt.  B&N even sent me a replacement NC which I will return.  My ISP said, "It must be the router."

My choices yesterday were a $35 support call to D-Link customer support or a $39-$59 expenditure for a new router.  I chose the new router.  Set-up took less than 5 minutes (don't know what the security settings are--password and SSID were set by manufacturer, Netgear) and everything works--everytime.

I originally bought a 3G NOOK so that I would not have to fool with home network/router issues, but with the purchase of my NC and now my NST, I want my WiFi to work all the time.  Since set-up yesterday, I have succussfully connected a dozen times on each device--and from many different points in my house.  Wish me continued success!:smileyvery-happy:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

I think that I have solved my connection problem.  I honestly think it was the router--a 5-year-old D-Link model. 

I put in many calls to NOOK CS and to my ISP and made many searches on these boards.  I tried all suggestions except those technical changes I didn't understand and didn't know how to attempt.  B&N even sent me a replacement NC which I will return.  My ISP said, "It must be the router."

My choices yesterday were a $35 support call to D-Link customer support or a $39-$59 expenditure for a new router.  I chose the new router.  Set-up took less than 5 minutes (don't know what the security settings are--password and SSID were set by manufacturer, Netgear) and everything works--everytime.

I originally bought a 3G NOOK so that I would not have to fool with home network/router issues, but with the purchase of my NC and now my NST, I want my WiFi to work all the time.  Since set-up yesterday, I have succussfully connected a dozen times on each device--and from many different points in my house.  Wish me continued success!:smileyvery-happy:

I'm glad you got it to work, but are you sure the security settings were set by the manufacturer?  That doesn't sound normal.  Routers are normally set up with a standard SSID, like "Netgear" and a default user id and password to access the router, but I've never heard of the security being set up also.  Did you have to put in a passphrase to connect the Nook?  And if they did set it up, I probably wouldn't leave it set at the defaults, but first I'd make sure I really do have a secure wireless network.  On the NST, in the wireless settings, the secure networks have a lock next to them.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
I'm glad you got it to work, but are you sure the security settings were set by the manufacturer?  That doesn't sound normal.  Routers are normally set up with a standard SSID, like "Netgear" and a default user id and password to access the router, but I've never heard of the security being set up also.  Did you have to put in a passphrase to connect the Nook?  And if they did set it up, I probably wouldn't leave it set at the defaults, but first I'd make sure I really do have a secure wireless network.  On the NST, in the wireless settings, the secure networks have a lock next to them.

It didn't sound normal to me either, and I worried that I might be setting up an unsecured network.  It was just TOO easy.  But on my NOOKs there is, indeed, a lock next to the signal strength icon.  When I check the info for the router in settings my security is WPA/WPA2 PSK. 

The router came with a preset SSID and password that are, according to Netgear, "specific to my router's serial number"  Since the SSID and password are supposedly unique, Netgear recommends that they NOT be changed.  I did not have to choose options and reconfigure anything online as I have done with past routers.  Once the router was pluged in and connected to my modem and computer, I simply connected to the internet and  entered the serial number and password.  My NOOKs recognized the router immediately and I entered the same password and requested that the network be remembered.

This is a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router and (since it's past midnight) it has worked beautifully for three days!  I couldn't even manage three successful minutes with the old router.  I'm sold!

New User
kg95762
0 Kudos

I tried for 20 minutes, then finally when I typed in my password again, I checked the box that said to hide the password, and it worked.  Not sure if that is really why it worked.

New User
ToFast
0 Kudos