Contributor
ThirdSon59
0 Kudos

Wifi glitch after update

My Nook Color WiFi was working fine with the 1.1 build.  After the update it seems to be jamming the signal on my wireless router.  When the NC WiFi is on, a wireless connected laptop and desktop (routed through the d-link) will not work.

When the wireless on the NC is off, all is fine.  I went back to factory settings on the NC and the problem was resolved.

Ideas?

Reader 2
LoniCarter
0 Kudos

Re: Wifi glitch after update

I'm having the exact same issue.  If you find a fix please update.  Thanks!

Contributor
Jennelyn
0 Kudos

I am having the same issues and on with tech support. They wanted to wipe it to factory and I said how is that going to fix it with the update. I am afraid this lady isn't very bright.

Contributor
HadMyPhil
0 Kudos

I've got this "glitch" also.  I use WEP 64-bit.  Though I've switch to WEP 128 and WPA (TKIP), I can't get it to work with any of them.  My router doesn't have a WPA PSK option.  I've attempted rebooting.  I've not done a factory reset so I don't know if that helps or not.

New User
brendan30
0 Kudos

Very disappointing.    The wierd thing is I can sometimes connect to an unsecured linksys that's barely in range so I reset my home router so that it is no longer password protected.  No good. 

It keeps cycling between "Obtaining IP address" and "disconnected".

Inspired Correspondent
furyu

Had the same problem.  Cost me a whole day's effort to resolve and the solution is, B&N is sending me a new Nook Color (NC).

After I downloaded the update, I loaded it onto the NC, it installed beautifully and quickly and everything looked great until I noticed no Wi-Fi.  Fooled around with that, 'forgetting' and relisting it, etc., and even rebooted my router and modem, etc.  Finally got online & chatted with a tech who told me to do a hard reset and then reset it to factory settings (deregister it).  Couldn't get it to hard reset.  Finally gave up with this online tech.  Later, here, someone said in order to do a hard reset you have to have it plugged in with the AC power cord.  Did that and viola!  Got the reset.  BAD MOVE.  Went through the opening pages to register the now 'erased' NC, and when it go to Wi-Fi.... same problem.

It just cycles repeatedly from obtaining IP address, disconnected, obtaining IP address, until it finally states, "disabled."

So... got on the phone and bottom line, they are sending  me a new one.  Hopefully one that is already updated.  Otherwise, I won't do the uploading of the file myself; I'll wait for B&N to send it.

Very frustrating and very disappointing.

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Reader 4
endless7
0 Kudos

I had the same problem with my D-Link router and fixed it with a firmware update.

If you have the same model I do (DI-624 Rev. C), the only firmware version I was able to find that both worked with the NC and didn't reset my connection every hour or two was v2.76b20 (which was only officially released in Singapore, apparently).

If you have a different model, Google firmware for your model, but be prepared to try several versions (and note that D-Link's site only has the latest official version released in your country, so you may need to delve into user forums like DSLReports if that one doesn't work for you).  I went through five or six before finding this one.

Contributor
Jennelyn
0 Kudos

I never got anywhere with tech support she left me on hold for forever and I gave up and had things to do. I do have a d-link in the house and I am having a new router installed today. If that doesn't solve the issue then I am going into BN. I think it's crap to have to go back to factory they should get a fix.

Contributor
Jennelyn

Their fix is this:

Please follow the steps below to Hard Reset your NOOKcolor. Please note that a Hard Reset de-registers your device as well as erases all local content such as contacts, sideloaded documents, personal information, 4 digit passcodes, etc. It is recommended that you backup any sideloaded material before continuing.

1. Ensure your NOOKcolor is powered off; to do so, depress the power button for 5 seconds. Your LCD screen should turn off.

2. With your NOOKcolor powered off, Hold the Home Key (NOOK “n,” logo below the LCD), while simultaneously depressing the Power Button for up to 25 seconds.

3. Your NOOKcolor will begin the start up process, Do NOT let go until a confirmation window appears asking if you would like to, “Factory Reset Your Device?” This will De-Register as well as erase all content and information on your NOOKcolor (Including the 4 Digit Pass-code).

4. Depress the Home Key to continue with the Factory Reset.

5. Depress the Home Key again to Confirm.

6. Your device will now begin the clearing process. Upon completion you will regain access to your NOOKcolor however all account and personal information (email, contacts, pass-code, credit card, etc..) will be deleted from your device. You will then be able to Re-Register your NOOKcolor and start anew.

And then they said to redo the upgrade.

I do not see how this is going to fix anything. I am very disappointed in BN at the moment.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

If it's just one other machine that can't connect (assuming you have more than one other machine) its probably a duplicate IP address issue.

If the laptop is Windows, go to Start, Run. Type cmd and hit enter. Type ipconfig /release and hit enter. When you get the prompt back, type ipconfig /renew and hit enter.

See if the laptop and the Nook can both get on the network.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

I'd look to see if there's an IP address conflict. I did have a case where, for some odd reason, my NC and one other device on the network grabbed the same IP address through DHCP and it

caused this kind of symptom. You could try:

1. Shut the router and all the devices off
  2. Turn the router back on
  3. Turn each device on, in turn, and give them time to acquire an IP address
Something simple to try anyway...

Contributor
Jennelyn
0 Kudos

I have two xbox's connected, four laptops, and two main desktops all on the same network and now the NC won't connect. I don't think it is a issue of the same IP address. I am not moving settings around in my other devices to accomdated the NC. I think BN needs to come up with a "real" fix. In the mean time I will wait for the new router upgrade I am having installed anyway to see if that works.

New User
Whorfin
0 Kudos

The glitch I found is that the Nook can't connect to hidden SSID's any longer. I was able to verify this by enabling the broadcast of mine and the Nook connected without issue. I hid it and the Nook dropped the connection.

I presently have my router broadcasting the SSID, but filtering the MAC addresses.

I am hoping BN releases a maintenance update that corrects the hidden SSID issue.

For those of you entertaining their support telling you to reset it and then apply the update again...you are more than likely just wasting your time as the same issue should happen once you are back at v1.2.

Contributor
Jennelyn
0 Kudos

You must know the SSID to connect to a 802.11 wireless network. However, the SSID can be discovered by network sniffing/scanning

Maybe that is the reason it just keeps saying scanning. And many people by messing with the router settings are getting it to work. I can't say that I think it is on the router end as much as it is something that BN definitely needs a maintence fix.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

So you chose "Other Network", typed in the SSID, and it wouldn't connect?

That's pretty odd.

Contributor
edmonddantes74
0 Kudos

What if you just forget your hidden network and then re-add it to the nook?  I'm using my hidden network after the update without any problems...

Contributor
Jennelyn
0 Kudos

Got a new router from Verizon today. Funny now my NC works without a hard reset. It definitely has to do with the SSID and routers.

Reader 2
NookGuy62
0 Kudos

I'm having an almost identical issue on my office WiFi network. I was connecting fine right up till the upgrade, then after the upgrade I can't connect. I don't have the option here of reseting the router. This is a hidden SSID.

Contributor
edmonddantes74

has anyone tried forgetting the access point on the device, and then trying to re-connect?  I bet if you:

1. Forget the ap/router from the device

2. turn wifi on the device off and back on

3. re-set up the connection to the router on the device

it will work again...

Contributor
HadMyPhil
0 Kudos

I've done quite a few things, about the only thing I haven't done is cycle my router.  I've factory reset, changed from WEP to WPA.  Nothing.  The update is buggy.  I'm going to try a different router to see if maybe the issue is that the broken protocol is specific to certain router types or the update has bricked my NC (of course if it still doesn't work, it doesn't mean there isn't some router somewhere it may work with).