New User
TMertell
0 Kudos

Won't hold a charge

Just got my Nook Color for Christmas from my husband.  Plugged it in for three hours and then unplugged it and began to explore the world of Nook.  I downloaded a few books and added several others to my wish list.  Unfortunately while I was exploring my new Nook, my new puppy was exploring the new Nook power cord and chewed it to shreds.

I had read that the battery life of a Nook was to last approximately ten days so I was pretty disappointed when after an hour of playing with the device to figure it out that my battery was flashing red.  I turned the device off and headed to Best Buy to see if I could buy a new power cord.  The replacement cords that they carry at Best Buy for the Nook have the Nook Logo on them, however they look nothing like the power cord that came with the device.  The Geek Squad assured me however that this was the replacement cord to use.  I told him the device didn't hold a charge for long and he told me that I should try to turn off wi-fi while reading.

I headed home and plugged in the device for several hours and found that it had only charged to 65%.  I decided I wanted to read the book some so I read for about an hour and a half and what do you know....the redlight came on again warning me that i was under 20% battery life.

WHAT THE HECK??????  Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Won't hold a charge

NOOK has a 10 day battery life, assuming 1 hour per day usage.

NOOKColor has a much shorter battery life.

The NOOK charging cable (and I suspect this is what Best Buy sold you) shouldn't be used with NOOKColor because it doesn't provide enough power to charge NOOKColor's battery.

You may need to go to B&N to see if they have the proper charging cable.

I don't think it's the NOOKColor; I think it's the cable.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

First of all, what you are describing as battery use is way above normal. While 10 days should not be expected for a Nook Color (that is what a Nook Classic gets), 10 hours is probably possible. I don't know how much your Nook was charged before you started using it, etc., but you might have a bad unit. However, if you have WiFi on but no WiFi available, if your screen brightness is set to maximum, etc., there might be a reasonable explanation. I don't know what the normal range could be, but I only charge mine every several days.

Second, both the Nook Color charger and the Nook Color charging USB cable are special. Best Buy might have real replacements, but it sounds like you may have gotten a Nook Classic charger, which is more of a standard USB charger. This sort of charger does seem to work, though very SLOWLY, and only if the Nook Color is off or asleep.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

TMertell wrote:The replacement cords that they carry at Best Buy for the Nook have the Nook Logo on them, however they look nothing like the power cord that came with the device.  The Geek Squad assured me however that this was the replacement cord to use.  I told him the device didn't hold a charge for long and he told me that I should try to turn off wi-fi while reading.

Sounds like Best Buy sold you the wrong cord.  The NOOK cord is white, the NOOKColor cord is black

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
New User
NerdyGeek
0 Kudos

The regular Nook charger will not work. The following paragraph was cut and pasted from PCmag.com.

"Although the Nook Color looks like it has a standard micro USB port, it will only charge with the Nook Color AC adapter. I tried both 5V and 10V adapters, with no luck. Nor can you charge the device by connecting it to a PC. Turns out the cable that comes with the Nook Color has a few extra pins in it, to enable faster charging. The custom connector supports 2000mAh charging, whereas most mobile electronics use 500mAh chargers."

I returned my Nook Color for a refund.  I had purchased a NewTrent universal battery with a USB interface to extend usage due to the relatively short battery life.  I get stuck in airports quite often and hate being tethered to a wall outlet ( if I am lucky!).  Alas, the B&N engineers deliberately designed this toy to be incompatible with any aftermarket chargers or extenders.  No wonder the technical department never responded to my query after I pre-ordered on the first day of availability.  I understand the tradeoffs of weight, heat, etc when designing for batteries but I am incensed they eliminated all options from consumers to extend battery life yet retain portability.   Shame, shame, shame.

Distinguished Correspondent
scott88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NerdyGeek wrote:

Alas, the B&N engineers deliberately designed this toy to be incompatible with any aftermarket chargers or extenders.  No wonder the technical department never responded to my query after I pre-ordered on the first day of availability.  I understand the tradeoffs of weight, heat, etc when designing for batteries but I am incensed they eliminated all options from consumers to extend battery life yet retain portability.   Shame, shame, shame.

They did no such thing. It is longer to allow faster charging. The aftermarket chargers or extenders would just need an adapter or be designed for the NC's plug. I would much rather to have to use an adapter to get extenders to work then to have to wait hours more for it to charge.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
New User
NerdyGeek
0 Kudos

RE: The aftermarket chargers or extenders would just "need an adapter or be designed for the NC's plug." I would much rather to have to use an adapter to get extenders to work then to have to wait hours more for it to charge.

Uh--yes they did.  You pointed it out yourself.  My goal was to extend the recharge time when I need portability. 

Do you know where I can purchase the "extenders" or an adaptor designed for the NookColor's plug?

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

NerdyGeek wrote:

The regular Nook charger will not work. The following paragraph was cut and pasted from PCmag.com.

"Although the Nook Color looks like it has a standard micro USB port, it will only charge with the Nook Color AC adapter. I tried both 5V and 10V adapters, with no luck. Nor can you charge the device by connecting it to a PC. Turns out the cable that comes with the Nook Color has a few extra pins in it, to enable faster charging. The custom connector supports 2000mAh charging, whereas most mobile electronics use 500mAh chargers."

I returned my Nook Color for a refund.  I had purchased a NewTrent universal battery with a USB interface to extend usage due to the relatively short battery life.  I get stuck in airports quite often and hate being tethered to a wall outlet ( if I am lucky!).  Alas, the B&N engineers deliberately designed this toy to be incompatible with any aftermarket chargers or extenders.  No wonder the technical department never responded to my query after I pre-ordered on the first day of availability.  I understand the tradeoffs of weight, heat, etc when designing for batteries but I am incensed they eliminated all options from consumers to extend battery life yet retain portability.   Shame, shame, shame.

The NC WILL SLOWLY charge from a standard usb port, using a standard microUSB plug.   Slowly as in not even enough power to run it turned on.    It can easily take a FULL DAY on a standard USB port to fully charge a NC if it is TURNED OFF.

The engineers did NOT 'designed this toy to be incompaible with any aftermarket chargers or extenders'

Once again...the NC requires MORE power to operate than a standard USB port can output.   So no matter what, a standard USB charger will NOT satisfy the NC's power requirements.

It has nothing to do with deliberate decisions to make it incompatible.    The decision (and I am GUESSING HERE...I have NOTHING to do with B&N other than I'm a customer) was to allow users to rapidly charge a large battery.   In case you hadn't noticed, many devices take longer to charge than they have battery life once charged....and my guess is that is what the designers wanted to avoid.

The supplied AC charger (and the now available 12v charger) are both capable of suppling the required power to not only run the NC, but to also charge it will it is in use.

If you don't wish to carry the wall wart and cable...that is YOUR choice.  

---------
Don
scott88
0 Kudos

NerdyGeek wrote:

RE: The aftermarket chargers or extenders would just "need an adapter or be designed for the NC's plug." I would much rather to have to use an adapter to get extenders to work then to have to wait hours more for it to charge.

Uh--yes they did.  You pointed it out yourself.  My goal was to extend the recharge time when I need portability. 

Do you know where I can purchase the "extenders" or an adaptor designed for the NookColor's plug?

By saying" Alas, the B&N engineers deliberately designed this toy to be incompatible with any aftermarket chargers or extenders. " you are saying there was some nefarious plot to stop you from using other products. They did no such thing it was to charge the device faster rather then to create incapability.

The device is only about a month old it will take time (and market share) for aftermarket items to come.

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

@TMertell

Turn off WiFi for Much increased read time. I also keep my screen brightness turned down for very comfortable reading.  I never seem to have battery life issues so far,

@NerdyGeek

Stop Trolling.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In somewhat defense of the OP & NerdyGeek, B&N has been pretty vehement about the supplied charger being the ONLY way to charge the NC. They have only rather grudgingly admitted that there can be a slow charge via normal USB.

I think B&N would have been better served by having a dedicated charger port on the NC with a standard barrel connector. This is what most other tablet manufacturers are doing to supply the amount of power that this generation of tablets requires, and can be more easily & cheaply replaced, substituted for, etc.

Moreover, I believe proprietary, single-source solutions are just a bad idea for a variety of reasons. Just look at how many complaints are on this forum about difficulties with the USB connector and with charging in general.

It is also causing confusion with accessories. If you look, you will find many folks selling aftermarket chargers specifically for the NC. When examined carefully, ALL of them seem to be generic microUSB connector chargers, but it is difficult to tell by just looking at the pictures. This is even happening with some very reputable after-market suppliers.

I wonder if B&N is regretting the decision to do it this way?

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

I don't think it's a matter of "regretting" anything.  The wall charger for the NC says it supplies 5.0VDC at 1.9A.  Now, if we look at what USB ports are spec'd for, we can easily see that one port (or even two, as some external drives require) cannot possibly recharge the NC at any reasonable rate.

"A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150 mA in USB 3.0. A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. There are two types of devices: low-power and high-power. Low-power devices draw at most 1 unit load, with minimum operating voltage of 4.4 V in USB 2.0, and 4 V in USB 3.0. High-power devices draw the maximum number of unit loads supported by the standard."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

Personally, I plan to pick up another wall charger to keep at work.  :smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of "regretting" anything.  The wall charger for the NC says it supplies 5.0VDC at 1.9A.  Now, if we look at what USB ports are spec'd for, we can easily see that one port (or even two, as some external drives require) cannot possibly recharge the NC at any reasonable rate.

Yes, I know all that. That's why I suggested a separate barrel connector for charging. That would be much less fussy and more reliable.

scott88
0 Kudos

A separate power cord would let them use a standard USB plug but then you would have more cables to keep track of.