Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Zinio Magasines and Nook Colour?

I am wondering if I could use magasines that I purchase through Zinio on my Nook Colour?

DJ

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Zinio Magasines and Nook Colour?

DJ_Boxer wrote:

I am wondering if I could use magasines that I purchase through Zinio on my Nook Colour?

DJ

Have you checked the user guide to see whether the Zinio format is one that can be used on the NookColor?

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Well the thing is it doesn't say that it is not supported.

DJ

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

DJ_Boxer wrote:

Well the thing is it doesn't say that it is not supported.

DJ

If it is not listed as a supported file type, I would believe it's not supported.

I think I've read something about Zinio on the boards.  Maybe you could put "Zinio" in the search box and see if any (more helpful) posts come up.

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

Nook Color supports only the industry standard EPUB format. If Zinio files are not in EPUB format (typicaly has a ,epub extension), then they cannot be read in NC. Since Zinio seems to provide it's own reader app, there is a good chance that it uses a proprietary format than EPUB format.

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

I did a search before asking the question and there were for only the original E-Ink Nook.  I guess I'll have to wait to get them when the Playbook comes out and when I see what the iPad2 is like.

DJ

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

I looked into it about a month ago.  At that time, Zinio did not support the Nook Color.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

A Zinio for Android App is on the way . . . likely after this next NC update since the exsisting app that's on the Galaxy Tab requires Android 2.2 and Flash . . .

But it's on the way. Zinio is teasing it and has an email signup for the announcement.

Nook Color Wallpapers
New User
CAcationu2
0 Kudos

There us a Zinio app for the Android but unfortuneately, (not to mention infuriating), Nook won't let you download it. 

I've had Zinio for a long time so there's NO WAY i'm gonna buy a sub separately for the Nook Color.

That's the only negative I have regarding it. Really wish they would give you Android Market access.

New User
Maigrey
0 Kudos

I also want to use Zinio (for Libraries) on my Nook Tablet and cannot because the Zinio Reader cannot be installed. IMHO, B & N made a big mistake in not finding a way to support Android Market. I have a Nook Tablet and am VERY dissappointed with the large number of things I can't do with it because of this. If they want to be proprietary they should provide a better selection of apps!

I guess I'll have to abandon it eventually and cough up the extra money for an iPad.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady

Didn't realize this was a fairly old thread but will let you know my experience in case anyone is interested. My library offers its patrons a selection of about 300 mags free through Zinio. I was very pleased they are the most popular ones, not some crafting mag you never heard of. Right now, while there is an Android reader app it is not offered in the BN store. So the only way to use it is through your browser. Sounds easy but it's not due to big problems with Flash. I finally got it to work on my Nook HD+ but not the NC. I won't go into the details here but there is a thread on this in the HD forum.. It requires a Browser Plug in that I was able to install on my Hd+ but would not install  on my Nook Color. I can pull up my Zinio library in both the stock & Dolphin browsers on my NC but I can't get any of the books to actually load. It's not great viewing it in the browser & I am sure it would be better if we had access to the reader app. I do have it installed on my PC & the reader offers a lot more flexibility. Even Kindle & Ipad have the app available. & it's also available @ Google Play for Android.  

The problem is not with Zinio. Much like the Overdrive app it's up to BN to get their act together & offer it.  If you can get the service through your library try the reader for you PC to see how you like it before your frustrate yourself further. The browser plug in did download to my NC the same time as it did to the HD+. It just won't instal. It tells you to archive/unarchive & try again - Nada. Also I forgot to unarchive it & reinstall it to my HD+ later & spent about 10 head banging minutes before I  had my "ah ha!" moment. Without that plu in installed it won't work on the HD+ either. However, now that I have it working I can read my mags in both the stock & Dolphin browsers on the HD+