New User
bookworm3273
0 Kudos

amv and woodwing???

these two apps appeard on my nook. when i tryed to open them i get a white screen.  I also now have twitter on my nook as well but have no desire to open it.  but i have noticed that since these apps have been installed my nook is sluggish. my books are freeizng and  when i try to watch videos the feed is very choppy. i did not have the problems before the update to 1.42 and amv and woodwing installed themsevels.  is anyone else having these problems?  verry annoyed

GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ

Re: amv and woodwing???

AMV is a background app for reading magazines-Adobe Magazine Viewer.  Apperently it really should be hidden and has been on the Nook for awhile but for some reason the icon started showing up.  Don't know what woodwing is, it has not shown up on my device, a Nook Color, yet.  Twitter did show up,and like you, I'm annoyed.  I think all of us are having these apps show up unannounced.  I did not notice any slowing of my NC however. 

I was able to kill and delete the Twitter app using "Your App Manager", found in the app store.  After you install this app, locate Twitter in the list and hold it>select delete.  On my device it killed and disabled the app but the icon is still present.  I was expecting it to reload when connected to wifi, but so far it has not.  That may speed things up for you.  Also, don't forget to do a restart anytime things are buggy.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Woodwing is an app used for publishing books on devices.  It seems to be one of the apps sent by B&N to Nooks. Perhaps it's needed for something.

Your App Manager or App Killer should be able to check if any of these three apps are running and then kill them for you.

I haven't seen slowness due to these. However, I've heard some people mention Twitter keeps running in the background and that would/could/might result in the issues you mention.

Contributor
CarmelaM

I emailed BN support regarding the Woodwing app, and here was the reply:

>>We understand your concern regarding the Woodwing app.

Adobe Magazine Viewer / Woodwing has the following advantages:

1. Adobe Magazine Viewer/Woodwing Viewer is a software technology that enables to bring stunning digital versions of  magazines to life.

2. With engaging, interactive features and a fresh navigational metaphor, the Adobe’s new Magazine viewer technology, allows readers to experience video content, slide-shows, 360 degree images and rotate content in vertical and horizontal modes.

3. Enables readers to explore magazine content using touch gestures, including a zoomed-out browse mode, to see the content of the issue at a glance. Readers are able to experience the design fidelity of a print magazine, with the dynamic interactivity of digital media.<<

Unfortunately, the AMV, Woodwing, and Twitter apps get in endless installing loops, draining my battery. BN support gave me instructions to try to fix this, but it didn't work. So they said the only solution is to perform a factory reset. However, they also said:

>>We would like to inform that there is no option of saving the highlights, notes . . . on performing the factory reset all highlights, notes, shelves and wishlists will be deleted.<<

And there's no way to backup my highlighting/notes before doing the reset. Since I don't want to lose all my work, I'm curretnly living with the problem, but I'm VERY unhappy about it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

CarmelaM, some people have reported that using the App Killer (or perhaps Your App Manager) app it's possible to stop Twitter. It'll still show on the Apps page but it won't run.

It's worth a shot. Since it's the only one that would access WiFi regularly.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf

App killer only works once it shows downloaded, not when stuck in downloading loop. I have the same problem and it's very annoying, especially since I have no use for ANY of these apps. The AMV app in particular is frustrating. One time it finally showed installed-until the next time I turned on my Nook and it show installing again! Ugh! And the battery does drain fast because of this problem. I can't wait until I can afford an ipad mini to replace this horrible e-reader. Every so-called improvement B&N does to the NC makes it worse than before!
Contributor
CarmelaM

Yes, I've tried App Killer and had similar results as Irishelf. One time Twitter actually finished installing and sent me a welcome message. But the vicious cycle started all over again the next time I powered up. When I was sent a survey about my Customer Service experience, I explained that their solution is totally UNSATISFACTORY and BN should fix the problem, not the users. Perhaps if enough NC owners complain it might motivate them to find a fix

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

Can someone tell me why we are being forced to download Twitter? It's a free app! It should be optional, not forced. Apple doesn't assume everyone wants Twitter. If you want Twitter on an iPad, you download it from the app store. If you don't, you don't lose memory and battery usage by being forced to have this app!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's just a bad decision by B&N. They assumed everyone would want Twitter. I don't want it or need it either. And it'd be nice if it were optional. Even without the installing issues, I don't like it taking up space on the Apps page.

Contributor
betty6275
0 Kudos

I also had it show up on my nook tablet.. I don't use twitter.. I can't figure out what woodwing is. I would like to kow how to remove them both

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

You can't remove them, B&N put them there permanently.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
Bassmon69
0 Kudos

My problem with Amv and Woodwing began after I subscribed to a digital magazine. Then Twitter showed up. As long as these apps are not "installing" my nook color works perfectly. But when installing, it affects everything. I cant open and reply to emails, videos are slow or wont load, I cant open saved documents....and now I cant delete the apps completely. B&N needs to fix this. If anyone has a solution, please reply.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Bassmon, get App Killer and then kill Twitter. This will stop it from running in the background and you should be able to do other things.

You can also turn on WiFi and see if that helps.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

App killer only works when app is downloaded.  Many people have Twitter stuck in a downloading loop, which means app killer is useless.  B&N needs to fix the problem, especially since many of us with the problem don't even want Twitter!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Irishelf, Twitter shows downloading even after it's downloaded. So depending on what the case is, you might still find it running using App Killer, even if it shows 'Downloading'.

New User
Ratfink
0 Kudos

Of course I called India to speak to someone there about my American made device but he had no clues except de-register my device....Idiots! I loath B&N!!!!!

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Because they are used by the native ereader applications (AMV) and supposedly woodwing... And as an aside.. even with twitter not installed,, IOS (Apple) devices can still interface and send a tweet similar to a Nook...There is some prebaked twitter/facebook integration WITHOUT the Twitter app being downloaded. That said, it be nice if they fixed the issue with twitter redownloading and allowed you to hide the application icon with Twitter, AMV, and Woodwing...AMV is there and used with previous versions of the nook software, just that it was invisible to the end user

Contributor
pplishka
0 Kudos

When I did the de-register and re-register of my Nook Color after I backed everything up on my computer, I did get rid of the AMV (it never came back), however, I have done this multiple times to get rid of Twitter which is stuck in installing mode and can't get rid of it.

New User
BritMS
0 Kudos

I have the exact same problem.  When are they supposed to take care of this anyone?????

New User
RavnWyld
0 Kudos

I did the reset thing too, just because the big grey boxes hanging out in my apps were annoying me, but now none of my videos will play, The Tour Nook, Tour Nook Newstand, Tour Nook Kids, and so on. They all say video can't be played, what's up with that now?!?!?!?! Anyone have any ideas??