Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

battery life

I loaded 3 videos on my color nook to play during a trip.  They were all one hour Tv episodes.  After all three played, the battery had just droped by maybe 20% at most.

That was yesterday and I did not plug it in overnight to recharge.  I used it today quite a lot and just finished 3 hours of reading (more or less) straight.  I plugged the NC in to recharge with less than 10% of charge remaining.

So far I am quite impressed with the nook color battery life.  That was the main th ing I was worried about before buying it since the mook has such long battery life.  I have no regrets.

I do, however, wish there was a battery pack available that could runt he NC when the battery gets too low.  I have a 4 AA battery pack that can recharge my phone, MP3 player or any device that can recharge from a PC, but by what I understand, it would not work with the NC.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: battery life

draksig wrote:

I loaded 3 videos on my color nook to play during a trip.  They were all one hour Tv episodes.  After all three played, the battery had just droped by maybe 20% at most.

That was yesterday and I did not plug it in overnight to recharge.  I used it today quite a lot and just finished 3 hours of reading (more or less) straight.  I plugged the NC in to recharge with less than 10% of charge remaining.

So far I am quite impressed with the nook color battery life.  That was the main th ing I was worried about before buying it since the mook has such long battery life.  I have no regrets.

I do, however, wish there was a battery pack available that could runt he NC when the battery gets too low.  I have a 4 AA battery pack that can recharge my phone, MP3 player or any device that can recharge from a PC, but by what I understand, it would not work with the NC.

Because of the electrical capacity (how much power it holds) and thus, size of the battery, it takes quite a bit of "juice" to charge it properly and quickly.    That's why it is reccomended to ONLY use the supplied AC adapter AND the NC's special USB cable.    They have extra pins in them to carry more current (power) during charging and are also capable of supplying higher power than USB chargers can.    A standard USB charger/port is limited to 500mA current, max.  The NC charger can supply 4 times that amount (2A ) that the NC requires to "quick" charge.

So you are correct, your current USB external pack will not work properly with the NC, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that some smart company will come out with one soon that will work with the NC.

---------
Don
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I have a small battery powered USB charger and it will either (slowly) charge the NC's battery if the NC is asleep, or mostly keep it from discharging the internal battery while the NC is awake. Nowhere near as fast as the included quick-charger, but better than nothing.

As far as I can tell, no available non-B&N chargers yet have the proprietary usb connector. Even if they say they are specific for the Nook Color, they still are using only plain USB connectors.

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

If I built a battery pack for the Nook color cable using 4 rechargable AA batteries, don't you think that would work?  A single AA rechargable battery gives 1.2 volts (4 x 1.2 = 4.8) and the NiMH batteries hold 2100 Mah or 2.1 amps.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

draksig wrote:

If I built a battery pack for the Nook color cable using 4 rechargable AA batteries, don't you think that would work?  A single AA rechargable battery gives 1.2 volts (4 x 1.2 = 4.8) and the NiMH batteries hold 2100 Mah or 2.1 amps.

Get it to work and I mite buy one from you. or you could copywrite and sell the plans (in Epub format of course)

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Mah (milli-amp hours) is a unit of energy. Amps is a unit of current. NOT the same. I would not recommend what you are suggesting. There is more to building a battery powered power supply then just stringing batteries together.

There are many battery replacements that can charge via USB. Some can supply more than the 500mA of normal USB ports, some can use AA batteries. I have one that will charge the NC SLOWLY. I haven't tried anything more aggressive. Certainly B&N doesn't support the practice and it may void your warranty.