New User
chrissymcd
0 Kudos

book purchased from Fictionwise and cannot open/download to my NC...any suggestions?

I purchased some books today from Fictionwise eBooks.  They downloaded to my pc in PDB format.  I could not find a way to download in any other format.  All help pages say these should be able to be read by NC, but when I copied them to NC I could not open any of them.  Error message say "unsupported file format"

I'm totally frustrated.  I only spent about $5  but shouldn't we be able to purchase books from somewhere other than just B&N?

Can anyone help?  Please! 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: book purchased from Fictionwise and cannot open/download to my NC...any suggestions?

chrissymcd wrote:

I purchased some books today from Fictionwise eBooks.  They downloaded to my pc in PDB format.  I could not find a way to download in any other format.  All help pages say these should be able to be read by NC, but when I copied them to NC I could not open any of them.  Error message say "unsupported file format"

I'm totally frustrated.  I only spent about $5  but shouldn't we be able to purchase books from somewhere other than just B&N?

PDB files (Palm Data Base) are not supported on the Nook Color or the Nook Simple Touch. You will have to convert them to epub. You will need to do some research to find out how to do this, otherwise you will have to find a program that will read pdb files on your phone or your computer. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: book purchased from Fictionwise and cannot open/download to my NC...any suggestions?

ProfReader wrote:

chrissymcd wrote:

PDB files (Palm Data Base) are not supported on the Nook Color or the Nook Simple Touch. You will have to convert them to epub. You will need to do some research to find out how to do this, otherwise you will have to find a program that will read pdb files on your phone or your computer. 

I haven't used Fictionwise in a long time, so i logged into my account and it looks like youcan re download your books into whatever format you want.

New User
chrissymcd
0 Kudos

I've tried to redownload the books but I can only download them in the PDB format. 

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

Try using Calibre. It is a great book management site. Download it, click add books, find PDB files, open, select output to epub, and then convert. Connect NC and then transfer. Good luck!
Melissa19
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I have three PDB titles from Fictionwise bought originally for my N1E.  I attempted a Calibre conversion when I got my NC, but no luck.  Turns out they are DRMed PDBs--which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

I hope yours are non-DRM PDBs :smileyhappy:.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fictionwise PDBs are DRMed. You can't download them in any other format unless they were sold as multiformat books. There are tools out there that can be used to strip the DRM (a grey area legally) after which they can be converted to epub format. For the OP, you can download books from other sources and read them on nook devices. You can get books without DRM all over the place, you can read books bought from Sony, borrowed from the library, and from other places using Adobe Digital Editions. If the books from Fictionwise were epubs, you could read them too. The key is the format and not necessarily the vendor. Can't read Amazon books, though.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

chrissymcd wrote:

Without rooting, (so you can load the Android eReader app) they are not usable on the NC.   The original Nook can use them, but not the Nook Color.

You can, of course, read them on your PC...but then I presume that's not why you bought an eReader.

Fictionwise .pdb files ARE digital rights management  (DRM) files, they require your name and credit card number to unlock.    Once unlocked, they may be read.    I am unaware of any free programs that will convert those locked files into epub files.....doesn't mean there isn't one, I'm just unaware of any such program.

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

There are plugins for Calibre that will remove DRM from secure PDB.  There are issues associated with whether or not this is legal.