New User
lizla74
0 Kudos

can't connect to wi-fi on my new-to-me NC

Just got a Nook Color from a friend who had two. In trying to set it up, my wi-fi network is detected, but the NC  says "Connected, no internet" even though my laptop uses the same connection for internet and it is working fine. I have tried rebooting my router, doing a software update using the 8 interrupted boots method, then doing a factory reset for the data. I'm still getting the same message in the set-up process. My wi-fi network is "connected, no internet." Any ideas?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: can't connect to wi-fi on my new-to-me NC

- Do not use spaces or other special characters in your router SSID.

- Set speed of your router to G instead of N.

New User
lizla74
0 Kudos

My router is a wireless-g. I don't know if that indicates its speed. Also, I didn't name the router, and I wouldn't know how to even check that, much less change it. Thanks. Any other suggestions?
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

What version of the B&N software are you running? (Settings->Device info) 1.4.3 is the latest. Worst case, you can download it on your computer and copy it over to your NOOK to update if you're behind. They sometimes include fixes in the updates. At least that's one less thing tech support will tell you to try.

New User
lizla74
0 Kudos

I don't know what software version I have. The Nook will not go past the setup screens. Since it won't connect to Wi-Fi, I can't get it to accept my BN account info. It loops back to the Wi-Fi setup screen. All I know is that when it first comes on, it says, "Touch the future of reading". And I have done 2 resets as mentioned previously. Thanks. Any other suggestions?
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Any chance the wireless network is set up with restrictions to limit what devices can connect?

Wordsmith
CraigAZ

lizla74 wrote:
I don't know what software version I have. The Nook will not go past the setup screens. Since it won't connect to Wi-Fi, I can't get it to accept my BN account info. It loops back to the Wi-Fi setup screen. All I know is that when it first comes on, it says, "Touch the future of reading". And I have done 2 resets as mentioned previously. Thanks. Any other suggestions?

How about visiting a library, Starbucks, McDonald's, Barnes&Noble store, or other location with free wifi and seeing if it connects there. Once connected, you could register the device and be able to use it. Then at a later time, we can work on getting your home router to work with the new nook color.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

lizla74 wrote:
My router is a wireless-g. I don't know if that indicates its speed. Also, I didn't name the router, and I wouldn't know how to even check that, much less change it. Thanks. Any other suggestions?

The NC shows a list of the Wifi routers it detects, with the SSID (the router name). You have to choose your router (usually the first one in the list), and type in your Wifi password to establish a Wifi connection.

If you do not know your SSID, I wonder how you are trying to make a Wifi connection?