Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Re: connected no internet

I assume you mean, "all routers you have tried". Does that mean all phones do that too?

I didn't say the problems will automatically go away. What I meant is the PRIORITY of WiFi problems is higher when there are WiFi only devices then with devices (phones) that are primarily 3G, but also do WiFi.

Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

My NOOKcolor connects flawlessly to all routers.

Have you tried an Actiontec M1424WR or an HTC EVO Sprint Hotspot?

Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

Let's clarify what we mean by "connecting." My symptoms are that I can connect to the routers, but not browse the Internet. The Wi-fi settings under "Wireless Networks" on the NC displays alternating "connected, testing" and "connected" and browsing won't work. There is a side-issue, intermittent, which happens on all routers I've tried, which is that the wi-fi is often dropped as the device sleeps, but connects again with no issues when browsing a web page. The side issue has been discussed elesewhere and consensus is related to the 1.01 update.

Does eveyone agree that these are the symptoms (if you are having the issue?)

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Patnet wrote:

Let's clarify what we mean by "connecting." My symptoms are that I can connect to the routers, but not browse the Internet. The Wi-fi settings under "Wireless Networks" on the NC displays alternating "connected, testing" and "connected" and browsing won't work. There is a side-issue, intermittent, which happens on all routers I've tried, which is that the wi-fi is often dropped as the device sleeps, but connects again with no issues when browsing a web page. The side issue has been discussed elesewhere and consensus is related to the 1.01 update.

Does eveyone agree that these are the symptoms (if you are having the issue?)

I feel your pain.

I had a similar problem when I first got my NC back in november. The only way I was able to connect at home was to set WIFi to open. I happened to be at a friends house and she had the same router. I set hers up for wep etc etc and my NC connected no problem. Thinking I proly missed something the 1st try I set up MY WIFI the same and it worked. Next day I started getting the connected no internet. I proceeded to try and isolate the cause. I proved it to be a NC issue(hardware/software not sure). The update to 1.0.1 fixed it for me.I have not had any unexplainable connection problems since.

Are you SURE you are running 1.0.1? If so then you mite want to get a replacement.

JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Are you SURE you are running 1.0.1? If so then you mite want to get a replacement.

JMHO

Thanks for your commiserations. I am running 1.01 according to the Settings. The fact that the NC works with one Actiontec M1424WR with Wep-64 security, but not the other has me puzzled. I'm goint to check the firmware ver. on the one that doesn't work at the weekend, but other than that I'm stumped. I tried an HTC EVO Hotspot too and the NC didn't work--even if I turned security off althogether. I can'te return the NC because Best Buy is sold out within 50 miles.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Good luck.  Let us know what you find.

:smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

In early January, a B&N employee active on the B&N nookdeveloper.com site, apparently tweeted about 1.1 fixing "a serious bug in WiFi, a memory leak in browser, and overall tune-ups."  

This indicates to me the B&N is aware of the wifi problems, and will be addressing them.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Good info riffraff  (insert 2 smileys tappin beers)

More support that B&N is aware and workin to make it better is the thread from Michael V(mod) about the 1.0.1 update. His post reads

"Barnes & Noble is providing a minor update to NOOKcolor firmware that will improve NOOKcolor's Wi-Fi connectivity and browser experience (such as being able to easily toggle between desktop and mobile mode)."

Its frustrating but hang in there. I have faith that you will get it working as I did.The pain/anger will fade quickly from that point.  :smileyhappy:   

New User
SJM93
0 Kudos

Got my NC in December. Had iffy wifi connectivity at home (sometimes connected, sometimes not). For the past two weeks, cannot connect to wifi at home. I have D-Link 524 router and Motorola Surfboard. Security is set with WEP.

When I try to connect, I get "obtaining IP address..." then I get "Unsuccessful." All laptops, etc. connect to the wifi.

I've tried to forget all passwords, turn off wifi, hard reboot, turn on wifi and reset passwords. No connection.

I have tried a hard reset of the router and surfboard. No connection.

I'm ready to cry or pull my hair out or both. Any ideas on how to correct this problem?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

SJM93 wrote:

Got my NC in December. Had iffy wifi connectivity at home (sometimes connected, sometimes not). For the past two weeks, cannot connect to wifi at home. I have D-Link 524 router and Motorola Surfboard. Security is set with WEP.

I don't know anything about your router, but NOOKColor doesn't play well with WEP security.  Many users have no issues with WEP, but a lot who do have issues with WEP have found that once they change to WPA or WPA2 they have no issues at all.

There's a thread with info about specific routers and how people have set theirs up to get NOOKColor to work.  It might help.

New User
SJM93
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

SJM93 wrote:

I don't know anything about your router, but NOOKColor doesn't play well with WEP security.  Many users have no issues with WEP, but a lot who do have issues with WEP have found that once they change to WPA or WPA2 they have no issues at all.

There's a thread with info about specific routers and how people have set theirs up to get NOOKColor to work.  It might help.

Do you know what that thread is called?

Nallia
0 Kudos
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

SJM93 wrote:

Do you know what that thread is called? 

Seriously?  It's on the first page of posts in this very forum.  Look down.  If you search routers, you find it.

It's called "List of Working Routers and Setup."  There's a similar NOOK thread that's called "Configuring Various Wi-Fi Routers."

Searching your specific router might help you too.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

New User
medicmel
0 Kudos

Ok, seriously? I'm not really concerned with who's fault it is that the wifi isnt working i just want it fixed!! I paid way too much money for this thing for it to not fully work. Granted i can read books which is what i bought it for but had i known that there was this many problems with the wifi then i would have gotten a different brand or cheaper version. I am soooo mad right now that it doesnt work. WTC!!!!

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

So, medicmel, did you have a question, so that someone here might help, or did you just need to vent?

In any case there is a lot of experience with various configurations in the posts on this forum. You might be able to get it fixed by searching here.

Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

medicmel wrote:

Ok, seriously? I'm not really concerned with who's fault it is that the wifi isnt working i just want it fixed!! I paid way too much money for this thing for it to not fully work. Granted i can read books which is what i bought it for but had i known that there was this many problems with the wifi then i would have gotten a different brand or cheaper version. I am soooo mad right now that it doesnt work. WTC!!!!

Since it's not B&N's responsibility to know and support every router model out there, I guess if you want it fixed you're going to have to do it yourself.

What "many" problems?  Most of us have no issues at all with getting our NCs to connect to our routers on the first try.

Reader 4
new_nook_colorGS
0 Kudos

Re: Not connected or no internet even though other wireless devices work

Change router settings and Nook Color will stay connected.  I have multiple wireless devices in my house using a Cisco Linksys Router.  My Nook Color detected it but would not stay connected OR I kept losing internet connection on my router (only on the Nook Color).  Tried changing several settings on my router to no avail.  Even reset my router to factory settings.  No go.  Then, finally changed router from mixed mode to Wireless G only.  FIXED!  Now my Nook Color stays connected and does not lose the internet connection.  Router specs: WRT160NL, Wireless-G only, 20MHz channel width, WPA2 Personal security, AES encryption only, MAC filter disabled, AP isolation disabled.  Since the other wireless devices in my house are not all wireless N enabled, the wireless G setting is the lowest common denominator between devices.  By the way, I also connected to unsecured routers in my neighborhood to further test this, and mixed mode routers failed, but those set to one mode only kept the connection.  My assumption is the wireless connectivity software in the Nook Color could use an upgrade.  But it does work.

New User
avidreaderPA
0 Kudos

I am having similar problems with the D-Link router I have.  Nook Color will never stay connected.  Tech support told me I should reconfigure my router.  Two laptops and one desktop work flawlessy with this router.  I will not fix what is not broken.  B & N is in denial about connectivity being an issue.  I was told that "very few people have this issue and there are no plans to adddress this issue in the near future".  I agree that they need to fix this problem for those of us who have this problem.  I did learn by reading these posts about using my cell phone.  Thank you all for that.