Frequent Contributor
drover8
0 Kudos

connected no internet

I am having trouble connecting to my home network.

Netgear

wpa/wpa2 psk

It will connect to the router, but then it goes on to say "no internet".

I have no trouble with any other device connected to the wifi. (wii, 2 laptops, printer)

HOWEVER

when my husband is home and I use the mobile hotspot on his palm pre (web OS network)

I have NO trouble at all.

that is also a

wpa/wpa2 psk

How can I get connected to my home network?

debi

New User
malagodi

Re: connected no internet

try changing the netgear wireless settings on the router to <mode> 'up to 54 mbps'.

Frequent Contributor
drover8
0 Kudos

I've checked all the router settings and they are where they are supposed to be with the exception of "mode"  Without going back into it, the only settings available are "b" , "g", "b&g" and "auto 108"...or something similar.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Try "b&g".

Frequent Contributor
drover8
0 Kudos

Didn't work.

I guess I should add that 95% of the time I get the "connected no internet".  The other 5% it will connect, but it is a slow connection and does not last but to load a page or 2, then it goes back to "testing" and then the "no internet".

We have 2 desk top computers & our "on demand" service plugged into the router.  We are running 2 laptops and a wii off of it wireless.  The nook is the only thing we have had a problem with.

This is the ONLY problem I have with the nook.  All other tech. issues I've read about on here (oops, except for the right screen on the crosswords) are non existant for me.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Does your router operate DHCP and dish out IP addresses? Once our router created a conflict between my NC and a MacBook in the house. Interestingly, the MacBook had trouble connecting to the internet. We rebooted everything (router and PCs) and it all sorted out. Something to check. You could check your router status to see what IP addresses it's assigned to everything. Perhaps worth a shot...

Frequent Contributor
drover8
0 Kudos

well, you are definatley trying to be helpful.  it seems like the router is assinging IP addresses correctly to all of the items trying to use it.  no conflicts.  Thank you tho.

if anybody has any more ideas i am open to them.  hey, at least i can get online other times.  The only time i really need the nook for the web is when hubby plays online games on this lap top, then his phone is here anyway.

thanks for all of everybody's help.

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

drover8 wrote:

Didn't work.

I guess I should add that 95% of the time I get the "connected no internet".  The other 5% it will connect, but it is a slow connection and does not last but to load a page or 2, then it goes back to "testing" and then the "no internet".

We have 2 desk top computers & our "on demand" service plugged into the router.  We are running 2 laptops and a wii off of it wireless.  The nook is the only thing we have had a problem with.

This is the ONLY problem I have with the nook.  All other tech. issues I've read about on here (oops, except for the right screen on the crosswords) are non existant for me.

The random connection at a very slow speed sounds suspiciously a lot like a "Mixed Mode" issue (which a few others have hit upon here) with routers. Since the NC's wifi client can connect to B/G/N, the router seems to have trouble syncing the connection with the NC. Is there is any way for you to choose Mixed Mode (or any other mode that allows interaction with all protocols, NOT just "B" or "G")?

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Frequent Contributor
drover8
0 Kudos

Hermes737 wrote:

The random connection at a very slow speed sounds suspiciously a lot like a "Mixed Mode" issue (which a few others have hit upon here) with routers. Since the NC's wifi client can connect to B/G/N, the router seems to have trouble syncing the connection with the NC. Is there is any way for you to choose Mixed Mode (or any other mode that allows interaction with all protocols, NOT just "B" or "G")?

I've tried the b&g mode and it didn't make a difference, so I put it back on the Auto 108 which chooses all b, g & auto 108 wireless stations to access the router.

New User
LolitaMB
0 Kudos

I have had this same issue with my Nook Color since I received it before Christmas.  It will randomly connect for brief periods of time and on a few rare occassions it has actually stayed connected for close to an hour (I knew this because I was listening to Pandora) but then it will start testing and then it will go back to Connected but No Internet.

I too have tried EVERYTHING short of purchasing a new router and really don't want to go to that trouble.  My current router works seemlessly with two laptops, my cell phone, and Wii. 

I may purchase a new router and was curious if someone who has a Nook Color and has NO internet connection issues could tell what type of router they are using....

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

LolitaMB wrote:

I have had this same issue with my Nook Color since I received it before Christmas.  It will randomly connect for brief periods of time and on a few rare occassions it has actually stayed connected for close to an hour (I knew this because I was listening to Pandora) but then it will start testing and then it will go back to Connected but No Internet.

I too have tried EVERYTHING short of purchasing a new router and really don't want to go to that trouble.  My current router works seemlessly with two laptops, my cell phone, and Wii. 

I may purchase a new router and was curious if someone who has a Nook Color and has NO internet connection issues could tell what type of router they are using....

Now that there are at least two different accounts of similar connectivity issues, I hope it's not an additional NC issue. I am running a very reliable Linksys WRT54GS that has been in operation for roughly 5 years with little to no issue. It's quite the workhorse. For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

You'll likely want to hear from someone else who is using a more recently purchased router. If it ain't broke...

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

LolitaMB

There was a whole thread that was a list of working routers and configurations either on this forum or the accompanying NOOKcolor General Discussion forum. I can't spot it at the moment, but it is there somewhere.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Klicken sie hier: >> List of Working Routers and Setup <<

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Thank you, mbratch.

Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. My Nook Color connects to some routers but not others. Security settings makes no difference. In fact, I have two routers exactly the same model and security settings and it stays connected to one but not the other. There appears to be no B&N tech support whatsoever. B&N you need to address this issue, there are too many people experiencing the same problem for you to continue to ignore it.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

B&N probably isn't in a position to do much about this. It is an Android problem. And, by the way, it is not really Android's "fault". There is a lot of very questionable router firmware out there too.

I'm hoping that the 2.2 upgrade will help. My suspicion is that this will be a problem until Google certifies Android for tablets (currently claimed for 2.3 or 3.0 depending on who's talking).

Frequent Contributor
drover8
0 Kudos

Re: connected no internet --- FIXED

I went in to check the router (Netgear) settings yet AGAIN and changed it from tkip to aes and my NOOK color is FLYING all over the web.  It connected first time and stayed!!!!

Thank you everybody and for bumping up the "working router" thread!

yeah!

d.

Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

B&N probably isn't in a position to do much about this. It is an Android problem. And, by the way, it is not really Android's "fault". There is a lot of very questionable router firmware out there too.

I'm hoping that the 2.2 upgrade will help. My suspicion is that this will be a problem until Google certifies Android for tablets (currently claimed for 2.3 or 3.0 depending on who's talking).

Please explain where your evidence comes from that Android is the problem. I have no evidence that that's the case. The only evidence, total, I have is that the issue isn't environmental, ie stray radio interference, because the NC works in the same physical location with some setups and not others--the radios being on and off on the routers being tested.

The problem may be with Android (the software,) NB's firmware upgrade to 1.01, the radio in the device, the antenna in the device. the router, the firmware in the router and so on.

An Andriod install in an e-reader connected to wi-fi is no different to an Android install in a phone connected to wi-fi, which works, therefore my assumption is that the issue may well not be Android.

BN need to make a statement that they are aware there is an issue, what the issue is, what they intend doing about it and when. If necessary they need to go back to Foxconn (the manufacturer) and open a dialog with them. They also need to read the boards and add up the possibles--security, type of router etc. and systematically go through until they find the problem. In any case they need to advise the customer what's going on.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

The NC is built from standard TI parts where drivers for Android are fully available. I would bet money that B&N did little to no mucking about in that stuff. Are they the WiFi experts? Is that their value added? Yes, B&N or their contractors did the hardware layout, but that is not router specific. Many folks, including me, have rock-solid connectivity to WiFi. That points to software issues.

My guess is this is primarily either user errors, certainly, or incompatibilites between Android and various router implementations.

You say phone WiFi "works". What phones are you refering to that aren't having WiFi problems. Try googling any of them. Yes, I know that the majority of these "problems" are not with the phone but with the user. But, it's the same here with the NC.

Frequent Contributor
Patnet
0 Kudos

You say phone WiFi "works". What phones are you refering to that aren't having WiFi problems. Try googling any of them. Yes, I know that the majority of these "problems" are not with the phone but with the user. But, it's the same here with the NC.

Your assumption that the problems will go away because of a certification for tablets is incorrect. What difference does it make if you're connecting to wi-fi on an e-reader, tablet or phone? My phone connects flawlessly to all wi-fi routers. The Nook Color connects flawlessly to some.