New User
websc
0 Kudos

connecting nook color to my pc

I connected to my PC via the USB, but my computer is not reading as an external drive, rather it is looking at it as new hardware and asking for software to install it. What do I need to do?

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: connecting nook color to my pc

websc wrote:

I connected to my PC via the USB, but my computer is not reading as an external drive, rather it is looking at it as new hardware and asking for software to install it. What do I need to do?

Turn it on.   Not just at the 'wake me up' screen, but slide the green tab on the lower left to the right to actually awaken the NC.

Also...you should probably ask this type of question in the NOOKcolor Technical support forum.

---------
Don
New User
DocDJ
0 Kudos

My 1st NC would not connect to my PC. I have exchanged it for a new one. Tech support gave me the procedure for a HARD RESET (erases all and resets to factory new). Rebooted my PC (Win 7, 64-bit). When connecting via USB I get: "one of the USB devices connected to this machine has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." I have tried a different MicroUSB cable. Same result. I have sent an email to BN nad they have asked me to call Tech Support. I'll try to post results ASAP.

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

Silly question, but did you try a different USB port? I've had the same problem with Nook Classic, and one of my 2 frontside USB ports is a bit balky. No problems when using the 2nd one.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

DocDJ wrote:

My 1st NC would not connect to my PC. I have exchanged it for a new one. Tech support gave me the procedure for a HARD RESET (erases all and resets to factory new). Rebooted my PC (Win 7, 64-bit). When connecting via USB I get: "one of the USB devices connected to this machine has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." I have tried a different MicroUSB cable. Same result. I have sent an email to BN nad they have asked me to call Tech Support. I'll try to post results ASAP.

you MUST awaken the NC for your PC to recognize it.   When you plug it in, you'll get the wake me up screen, slide the green tab on the lower left to the right and your NC will wake up and then Windows will recognize it just fine.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, x64 with ZERO problems connecting my NC.

---------
Don
New User
DocDJ
0 Kudos

yes, I did awaken the NC before connecting. The problem was indeed the front ports (both of them) on my PC. The BN tech rep suggested I try one of the rear ones and they worked. My problem is solved. This is the only USB device, several that I own, that doesn't work in the front ports. I wonder if they aren't powered the sam as the rear. I'll have to check with the motherboard (MSI-Eclipse) maker .

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reader
kleggett
0 Kudos

I tried the port in the back and my computer still does not recognize my nook color.

I am not able to get my vista computer to recognize my nook color.  It worked for my moms basic nook, but not my nook color.  I have tried different usb ports and the computer still doesn't recognize the nook.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

kleggett wrote:

I tried the port in the back and my computer still does not recognize my nook color.

I am not able to get my vista computer to recognize my nook color.  It worked for my moms basic nook, but not my nook color.  I have tried different usb ports and the computer still doesn't recognize the nook.

If you have a different USB cable I would try that.  Maybe bad cable . . .??

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader
nailpro83
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for this! I spent over and hour with tech support and fiddling around with both my desktop and my husbands laptop and could.NOT. open the nook color on my computer. Too bad tech support wasn't smart enough to tell me to actually wake up the dang ereader first. Could have saved several people lots of time and hassel. Thanks for your insight!

New User
dpwmusic
0 Kudos

I am having the same problems with recognition on my Dell laptop (Windows 7).  I have 3 ports, and none of them recognize my NC.  PLEASE HELP! 

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

use 32 bit...

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
Reader 2
Ashebury
0 Kudos

The computer will not always recognize that the Nookcolor is connected unless you have first slid the green bar to "wake up" the Nook before trying to connect. Once I did that, my computer has worked every time. Another possibility is a bad USB port, but the problem is usually that the Nook is still asleep.

New User
tidalwaveCN
0 Kudos

I believe that the NOOK COLOR USB drivers are incorrect when trying to hook up with a PC running WinXP!

When I purchased my NOOK, the store clerk plugged the unit into her laptop running Win7 and

both the Laptop and NOOK recognized each other immediately.  Taking the unit home and trying to plug into my PC running Win7, the desktop PC would only recognize the NOOK about 10% of the time.  I brought the NOOK back to B&N and it instantly connected with their Win7 unit, again!

Taking the NOOK back home, when I plugged it into my laptop running WinVista, the NOOK was immediately recognized. 

Subsequently, I have tried to connect my NOOK into several other laptops and PCs.  If the OS was WinVista or Win7, the NOOK was always recognized!  On four other PCs running WinXP,

the same USB connection errors consistently occurred.

B&N needs to inform new buyers that they have to have an OS higher than WinXP to be able to connect to the NOOK!

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

I have has no problems with multiple computers with Windows XP SP3.

Make sure you have updated the software for your PC.

Make sure you have not disabled autorun on your PC.

You can use a card reader to load data onto the microSD card.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

I have WinXP and I have repeatedly experienced problems connecting NC to my computer's front USB port. I have double checked that I have the NC on before I try to make the connection. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 

I always works when I use the back USB ports.

New User
sillycella
0 Kudos

I'm also having the same problem, when i hook my nook color up to my pc's usb port it says USB Device Not Recognized but it will charge my nook super quick like 67% to 100% in like 5 miutes. Any help, I really want to transfer family photos from my pc to my nook.  

New User
F-111_Fixer
0 Kudos

I had the same problem but solved it by connecting a regular micro USB cable (not the Nook power cable) to the port.  I have a suspicion when connecting the Nook cable, as it is a direct connect to the high current battery, it overwhelms the USB port current checker, and the computer shuts it down.  A regular cable does not have the additional ports to the Nook's battery.