Contributor
gn2tx
0 Kudos

drained

[ Edited ]

ok I got one for you, I read my nook on and off all day yesterday the charge fell to about 30% by the time I plugged it in. I checked it 2 hours later and it was at 100%. I unplugged looked something up, took about 5 minutes. I set it on my shelf (it was off) and went to bed, I got up this morning and turned it on. Nothing happened I tried holding down the no button but nothing happened, I plug it in and and it tells me to to wait 15 min to turn on battery to low.

About 2 weeks ago I let my mom use my nook for maybe 5 days and the same thing happened to her a few times but since she can't even use a cell phone I just assumed she had left it no or something, I guess I was wrong. Its 2 1/2 years old now, I bought it the first Christmas it was out. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

Re: drained

[ Edited ]

Is the Wireless turned on? If so, and if it couldn't find and kept trying to establish a wireless connection, the battery could drain fairly quickly. Also, how bright do you keep the display and how long a time interval do you use before the nook goes to standby when not used?

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

Occasionally my NookColor will lose charge quickly.  I have found that when this happens the idicator that shows the battery level displays the "charging" notation and the NC is not plugged in so it can't be charging.  If I don't notice this immediately the charge is used up very quickly.  The first time this happened the NC was in my bag at work and I pulled it out to use it at lunch and the edge near the idicator was very warm, the charge was almost gone.  The only way to interrupt this faulty "charging" indication is to shut the NC completely off and then re-start it. 

I can't pinpoint any specific things that triggers this behavior since it has happened first thing after unplugging the NC and in the middle of the day after some use.

Good luck.

Contributor
gn2tx
0 Kudos

No, I very rarely have the wifi on and I naver turn the brightness up more then 10% if at all. 

Frequent Contributor
kayokat

I bought my Nook the same time you did and I'm having the same problem.  I never have my WiFi on and when I'm not reading, I turn the brightness down as low as it goes.  Still, my battery seems to be draining more quickly than it ever did in the past.  I was shocked yesterday when it only showed 33% charged.  It was fully charged the day before and in sleep mode most of the time.

I'm really afraid we may be nearing the end of the life of the battery that cannot be replaced.  I sure hope not but what else could it be?  I really hesitated before buying the Nook because it didn't feel right to buy an expensive item when you couldn't replace the battery.  Maybe I should listen to myself more often.

Contributor
gn2tx
0 Kudos

It seem that about half the time the charge holds and the other half its drain before I get an hour of use out of it. Things are made to be so disposable these days, my poor nook looks new out of the box I have never even had to replace the screen protector and that is really saying something when you live in a place that is nothing but sand like I do.

Cross your fingers kayokat maybe its a programming thing that will get fixed with a new update.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

I read somewhere on these boards that sometimes apps don't close out and remain in memory.  This could be a drain on the battery.  I downloaded the app "My App Manager" and noticed a couple things taking up memory that didn't need to be open.  

I'm going to monitor this for a few days and see if it makes a difference in how long the battery stays charged.  It would sure be better than having a dead battery.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Taking up memory and using up battery life are two different things.

Easiest place to start for your "battery tests" is try to remember if you have added any new apps that correspond with your loss in battery life.  Look for anything that wants to "phone home" to update. 

Biggest offender is the email app -- the default settings are to check for new mail every 5 minutes.  I think it tries to check whether or not you have wi-fi on or off.  If I remember correctly, it drained the battery by 5% or 6% an hour on the default setting (just sitting there on the table, nothing else running, no reading etc.)

Another app to check is PULSE.  Somewhere along the line, one of the updates included a "phone home" option.  (Originally when introduced, you had to manually update it.)  Can't remember what the default setting is --- maybe every 15 minutes or every hour, something like that.  Unless it has changed again, I think the least frequently you can set it is once a day.

Thinking there was another one that caused some problems too but can't remember what it is right now.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

I think anything sitting in memory is using up the battery.  Otherwise, how would it stay in memory?  It needs some sort of power to reside in memory, i.e., the battery.  No?

I have a tendency to put the nook to sleep instead of exiting out of an app, especially when playing a game or reading one of the children's read and play books.  I'm trying to be more careful about it and the app Your App Manager has really helped.

Starting to think it's not the battery going bad, it's my bad.