11-23-2010 11:36 AM
I transfered all of my epub files from my sony reader library onto an sd card and inserted that into my nook color. Every time I try to open one of the epub files I get an error dialog box that says "sorry, cannot open this book." All of the PDFs and docs I transfered are fine (although I have to scroll up and down to get to the next page as opposed to just tapping or swiping left and right!), but I'd like to be able to open the books I paid for! Please help!
11-24-2010 09:17 AM
We do not support Sony DRM. Ebooks purchased from Sony may be ePub file format but have Sony's DRM; and only devices that read Sony DRM (ePub file or other) can read the eBooks from Sony. NOOK and NOOKcolor read ePub file format with B&N DRM or Adobe DRM or no DRM.
12-09-2010 02:14 PM
I have the same issue with PDF Files on the micro SDCard. Some are documents that I made with adobe acrobat to bring with me in the field, some are pdfs with no security that came in the back of books that i bought @ B&N
what does the error dialog "Sorry, cannot open this book" imply on the nook color. Is it DRM, lack of DRM, or a corrupt file.
12-09-2010 07:50 PM
My first guess would be that the files are corrupt or incomplete. Do any PDFs work for you? How did you get the files on the microSD card? Did you eject the card properly from your computer?
There are other possibilities.
12-10-2010 09:56 AM
I have a considerable # of pdfs that work on the nook. 90% of these pds came from books that were purchased @ B&N. I generate the other 10%. i transfer Pdfs either from the disk supplied with the book or off of the computer to the card. I have tried going directly to the nook using the cable and though a powered card reader to inprove the transfer rate. The pdfs that i create are created using the full version of Acrobat. They are not extended and not password secured. No graphics. Just a litteral Distillation file.
BTW, these files work on my Black and White nook (nook classic). I stop both usb drives in my comptuer before working with the files.
i am wondering if this may have something to do with the fact that the nook classic uses adobe technology and the nook color uses quick office.
i can contact the publisher about getting another CD, but the pdfs have worked for a long time. i am kind of suspicious about them not working now.
07-13-2011 10:46 PM
Same problem for me. For one of my books it says "Sorry unable to open this book" and for the other one it started opening and then went back to the previous screen.
Any suggestions? I authorized my nook, that was the problem before but now I'm not sure. Both are epub files... I got them off my local library thing... It says it supports nook...
I really don't know what's wrong.
I've checked everything.
07-14-2011 11:23 AM
I'm sorry you are having a problem opening files with your NC. Having never borrowed library books using my NOOK--Is a "borrowed" library book, the book you're trying to put on your SD card and open?--I can't help you, I'm afraid
Instead, I suggest that you post a NEW thread on this board and explain your problem in detail. I'm unclear if your problem is Sony books, library books, or just books on an SD card; and many people who might be able to help you may overlook your problem since you posted to a thread that's over a year old. Lots of people here are knowledgeable and willing to help anyone with a serious question.
Also, if using the NOOK for borrowing and reading library books IS the problem, try doing a search for "borrowing library books." FrogieAlum (sorry if I got the name wrong) has an old post with very good instructions about how to do this.
07-14-2011 02:19 PM
For library books that you borrow you need to have the Adobe program on your main computer, download the library books to that program then plug your Nook into the computer using the USB cord. In the Adobe program a new icon should show in the left pane (mine is called "Media"), drag the library book from the right pane onto the media icon. This should load the borrowed library book into "My Files" on the Nook and allow you to open and read them like any other book, you can also long hold the book file (in the Nook) and place it on the home page of the Nook. The library book will show with a grey cover because it wasn't purchased from B&N.
The library site should have a link to the proper Adobe program (I am at work and don't have the full name of the program in front of me), it is free.
07-14-2011 02:35 PM