New User
subs123
0 Kudos

nook color: not as advertised

All I can say is wow.

The support, or the poor quality support I have received over the past few days is making me want to return our nook color, and tell the whole world not to get one.

My first bad experience was just setting up an account. I got the new device, and it would not take my password. I was frustrated, tried many times. I called the store, was told call 1800THEBOOK. I did. I was told well try it using PC. Still didn’t work.  I was using a period in my password. As a computer support professional and teacher, I tell my clients to make secure passwords, using upper and lower case letters, numbers, and at least one character.

Apparently your system does not allow characters. To me that is poor security.  Your support person didn’t know that. And when I complained about it he said, well if you read the manual I would know. By the way, I did not see it in the nook color users manual. They do say only letters and number but only on the bn.com web site.

Frustrations number two. I asked your support person to note the whole password issue to help others. He said he cannot. I would have to go on-line and fill out the form under the customer service link. I got angry again. Do you know what the support page says? Fill out this email form OR CALL 1800THE BOOK. I JUST called 1800THEBOOK?! So it makes me feel as if your ‘support’ is not there to help, just fix enough and then push the issue off to another, don’t take ownership of the issue or complaint. Hope they don't call back or take the time to email.

As a computer professional, I thought it would be fun to make my own book. I also had to purchase a book from else ware because you only carried the paper version.  I transferred the books to the nook color and a) the icon does not appear, and b) I could not put a book onto the home screen, as your manual indicated that I could. So I was stuck calling your support. Apparently you don’t allow items that are as you call it side loaded, to have icons or be on the home screen

Your ‘support’ person seemed rude to me, saying only book purchased from Barns and Noble will display icons or be allowed to be on the home screens. I am angry again. According to you manual any item can be put on the home screen by clicking and holding on the item to get the menu. I was told no that’s not how it works.  Maybe if you have the ebook I would not have to go else ware, regardless, what kind of underhanded games are you playing

Copied directly from the bn.ccom web site:

Organize Your Home Page

Keep all your top titles ready to read right on your home screen. Whether it's the book you're currently reading, a favorite magazine, your daily newspaper, or the picture book your child loves, just drag and drop the covers on to the home page. They'll be there waiting for you every time you reach for your NOOKcolor!

What they fail to tell you is you can only do that with items purchased from them.

That is horrible to me, almost bait and switch tactics. When I asked to lodge a complaint, I was told to go to the customer service web page. Yes I am angrier, I said the page said I can call this number. Her response? I can let you talk to a supervisor, but there is nothing they can do.

Your service to me was awful. It is like you do not have a clue, or you just don’t care.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

Re: nook color: not as advertised

[ Edited ]

They provided you with the correct information.  They advised you were to go to file a written complaint.  You just didn't like their answers.

Would you rather they tell you... oh sure, I certainly forward this information on to management... and then not do so (we did that all the time at aarp membership as policy.  Want to speak to a supervisor?  sure... but it's the person sitting right next to me who holds the same title I do and does the same job and can't do anything more than I can do either.   Want to speak with the CEO?  Sure, let me transfer you to his office.. it's the person sitting on the other side of me and they can't do anything more than I can do either... But they'll let you rant longer than I will.

Most companies simply log it as complaint/user manual/features or something like that that doesn't make any sense and won't help anything anyway.

But since you spent enough time writing all about your experience here, did you even bother to submit the information online as instructed?

Probably not.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I must have missed the Nook Color advertisement where they said "You can use symbols in your password!"  Also that the person making $8/hour ringing up books will have the power to address all my technical problems and complaints!  

As a computer programming professional, you surely can surmise that while the Nook can READ a variety of different formats, externally loaded books might not have the formatting requirements to have their cover art clicked and dragged to a front page specific only to this device.  As a person who simply uses a computer for email and whatnot, even I kind of assumed that the BN-designed homepage for my BN-manufactured device would be more inclined to support BN-formatted materials.  The fact that it will run external books at all is a nice benefit - if it doesn't appear on the home page, have embedded artwork, and the ability to have it read to me, is just because it was not designed by BN to be optimized for the Nook Color.

How is this "not as advertised"?  

New User
subs123
0 Kudos

Fist, yes I did take to the time to fill out the form, with no responce, hence my posting here, but you missing the point.

They advertise one thing, but it can't or won't do what it can say. Told to read manual, but I CANT.

The web site says call OR leave message, the nook color user guid says drag a book. No clear answer, no quality support. No unified answers.

I discount you answer anyway, you sound as unethical as bn.com is making me feel at the moment, your quote:

oh sure, I certainly forward this information on to management... and then not do so (we did that all the time at aarp membership as policy

So all you AARP members be advised!

Wordsmith
NookGuy

subs123 wrote:

They advertise one thing, but it can't or won't do what it can say. Told to read manual, but I CANT.

I take it you mean you can't read the manual on the NOOK? Being a computer professional, I would have thought you would simply go to B & N's website and download the PDF manual from there and read it on your computer. 

New User
subs123
0 Kudos

It was the support person did not know why my password didn't work. maybe you missed that.

Not as advertised, hmm, well if you took the time to read the 90 page user guide, or read thier materials, it say drag and drop. There is no indication you can oly use thoes features on thier books.

This is an android device, it can be done, they chose to make it not work. That does not build brand loyality, just frustration.

The fact that it can read other formats is not a benifit. It is a selling feature that made me choose this device over others.

Hope that clears that up for you.

New User
subs123
0 Kudos

You people are missing the point. Its the lack of care and quality supprt. I am so gald that you all are attacking me, and missing the fact that THEIR aggressive snotty attitude let to to this post.

It is my hope that that will afffect change.

yoshipumkin

I'm not sure why everyone feels the need or the right to attack this guy and talk to him as if he's a moron.  Just because he has an opinion that you don't agree with doesn't mean he's stupid or should be treated as such.  This is a public forum.  It exists for people to discuss things.  That's what he was trying to do and there's nothing wrong with that.

Allem-o

Mine works as advertised

I had no problem setting up an account, I don't want to drag my sideloaded book's icon to the home page (so no issue for me there), and the one time I did deal with CS they were cordial, knowlegable, and solved my issue. My nook color works as advertised for me.

Maybe you need some anger management courses, since you mention that you get angry so easily.  Just saying...

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

Re: Mine works as advertised

I also find it annoying that I can not add sideloaded content to my home screen. That needs to be changed in my opinion. Also, like the previos poster I don't understand the hostility directed at the OP. If it states in the manual that you can do something then it should work like it says and if not then they either need to revise the manual oroffer an update that fixes the issue. I do hope that when we get an update the issue of not being able to add sideloaded content is addressed.
Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

Re: Mine works as advertised

People get bent out of shape because someone is attacking something they like.  They take it personally.  They like the product just fine so they get defensive of their assessment of their judgment..  "I like the product and this guy says it sucks then he must be saying my judgment sucks also.  RABLE RABLE RABLE"

New User
Rob42771
0 Kudos

yoshipumkin wrote:

I'm not sure why everyone feels the need or the right to attack this guy and talk to him as if he's a moron.  Just because he has an opinion that you don't agree with doesn't mean he's stupid or should be treated as such.  This is a public forum.  It exists for people to discuss things.  That's what he was trying to do and there's nothing wrong with that.

Agreed.

I have been looking over various posts because I have been thinking of purchasing the Color Nook.  Once in a while I see these postings of anger or insult toward someone who had a bad experience with the Nook or questions the product in general.  You can disagree with someone without insults and hostility. 

I got to use the Color Nook today in a store...really impressed. 

Contributor
TheBNTroll
0 Kudos

The reason your password wasnt working is because you werent using Shift Numeric characters. Just FYI

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@ subs123,

I have reported your concerns and experience.

FYI.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Michael, you are the Man.  We owe you a beer!

Inspired Contributor
Snafu77
0 Kudos

yoshipumkin wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope this board isn't a place where people bringing up issues are met with hostility from overzealous consumers.

Globaltech
0 Kudos

subs123 wrote:

You people are missing the point. Its the lack of care and quality supprt. I am so gald that you all are attacking me, and missing the fact that THEIR aggressive snotty attitude let to to this post.

It is my hope that that will afffect change.

Sounds like you are the one with the snotty attitude.

I've dealt with too many people like you and, frankly, we don't have time for you and your aggressive tone.. nor do we really care when you don't respect the person on the other end of the phone.

PS:  What's unethical.  I do log the type of call, it's just that they don't care.  Not my problem though.  I don't work for them anymore!  haha.

Sometimes the only answer is, I don't know.  And CS is usually the last ones to know. 

As a computer professional, you should know that things don't always go as planned or there are mistakes.  Perhaps that's something they need to correct in the manual, but you didn't read the manual before you bought it.

As a computer professional, you should have known to try various, standardized combos of passwords too.  Just sayin'.

PS:  Have a nice day!

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

[ Edited ]

Globaltech wrote:

Sounds like you are the one with the snotty attitude.

I've dealt with too many people like you and, frankly, we don't have time for you and your aggressive tone.. nor do we really care ...

Wow.  I'm glad than you don't work for B&N.  Because you have 0 empathy.

I think the OP's original posting was just fine, well justified, and I agree with all of it, except: "and tell the whole world not to get one".  His concerns were legitimate, and he should be able to post them here and get some support, rather than defensive bashing.  From what I've been reading here, it's certainly not a friendly community.  :smileysad:

The reason I don't think he should "tell the whole world not to get one", is because every company has problems, and he needs to give B&N an opportunity to respond and correct problems as they arise.  And he never said he was going to... simply that's how he felt after interacting with their support staff.

Globaltech, I can even empathize with you to an extent.  If you've worked in a CSR role anywhere, then you've certainly been bashed plenty.  And that's no fun at all, especially when the reason you're there is to try and help people (even when sometimes there's nothing you can do).  People call in for support when they're frustrated, and sometimes that means they take it out (usually unknowingly, but sometimes not) on the CSR.  It's a tough job not to get burnt out on.

The good thing is that most of these complaints can be resolved fairly easily.  B&N needs to make it clear at the point of entry what the acceptable characters are for use in passwords.  Frankly, this is an area where MANY companies do a really lousy job... not just B&N.  And it annoys me just as much as the OP.

Secondly, while B&N CSR staff may not currently have a mechanism in place to note customer issues, they need to have something.  Putting additional burdens on the customer to go to yet another location and expend even more effort is a poor way to handle it, especially if the way it's presented isn't done carefully.

As a CSR, I would say, "What I'm hearing is that you'd like it clear what characters can and can't be used in passwords, and you'd like an enhancement to be able to put non-B&N purchased reading materials on the Home screen.  If I have that correct, I'll make a note of it."  And funnel that input to the Dev team.  And if there's no way to do so now, create one.  They are, after all, the first line of contact with real Users, and know better than anyone else what's bugging them.  They're a valuable resource that could be utilized better, to the benefit of B&N.  Take advantage of that opportunity.

Lacking that they should for now simply say that by going to the suggested page and voicing your concerns would make sure that the B&N Development team got an accurate reflection of your issues.  Whereas anything they could note would be 2nd-hand, and perhaps not be what you really meant to say.  Plus, that's the only way they would be able to provide you with any helpful feedback (by being able to contact you).

Rather than "trying to shove you out the door", they could tell you how you could be a valuable part of the process if you funneled your input through the mechanism they already have in place, and that it would be read and responded to by someone who could actually do something about it.

Thirdly, as for the (current) inability to put your own books on the Home screen, I suspect the CSRs have been hearing this a fair amount.  It's a limitation.  So to the OP, that may explain the "attitude" you perceived.  After you've heard the same thing a few hundred times, it may be a little harder to be sympathetic.  The solution though is to:

1) make it clear that currently, only B&N purchased items can appear on the Home screen

2) note that the reason is that only they have the required JPG or other media cover resource to be able to display properly (yours don't)

3) add the ability put non-resourced items on the home page, with generic blue (or user-selectable) color, and the title (which would look less than beautiful, but would at least work)

4) add the ability to side-load a second file with each book, with the same name but a .JPG or .cover or whatever suffix, and use that on the Home screen, so it's a full-class citizen

#3 and 4 can come later, but 1 & 2 could be done immediately.

To the OP, while I agree it could appear to you that B&N was making false claims in the manner in which they depicted the Home screen capabilities, I highly doubt they did that with any intent to deceive.  It's simply that this is all brand new to them, and they've pushed things out pretty quickly to get this in user's hands before Christmas.  And as both a developer and a user, I'm glad they did. 

If you look at the long, long lead time between announcement and delivery of most products in this eReader/tablet space, B&N developers on both the hardware and software side pulled off somnething quite impressive!  They did so with a quality, working product, and in record time.  But that doesn't mean that with the short time-frame they had, that they did everything perfectly, or that things couldn't be improved.  Your comments and complaints should (and likely will) be received in a constructive manner, and used to guide improvements.  That's what will make B&N and their NookColor a winner in the long run, and lead to happy owners.

I haven't purchased a NC yet myself, and part of the reason I'm here in these Forums is to get some feedback from those who have... to decide if I want to or not.

Getting defensive and bashing an unhappy customer will do no one any good (not even you). The goal is to turn them into a happy customer... not an unhappy ex-customer.

Early NC adopters here would do well to remember that in a sense they're ambassadors for the product.  The more helpful they can be to others just getting started, the faster the owner-base will grow, and that means more enhancements to, and a long life for, the product.  Keep bashing people that have bad experiences and you could find yourselves the proud owners of a great orphaned device.  I'm just saying... :smileyhappy:

- Mark

New User
hermioneVIII
0 Kudos

I purchased a Nook Color a little over two weeks ago.  Since then I have had the following
problems/inadequacies with it:

1. Technicians and supervisors who don't know the product.

Every time I call for assistance I am put on hold while
techs and/or supes who have to research how to answer my question(s). This
turns a basic question into a project and leads to 20-40 minute phone calls PER
QUESTION!  One supe actually deleted a
book I paid for when all I wanted was for the sample to disappear (the sample
is still there along with others that are cluttering up my device).

2. I cannot delete books or samples from my Nook Color.  There is a disconnect between what shows on
your computer online screen account and what shows on your device.  (While I can delete samples from my account
using my PC, this does not carry through to my Nook.).   There needs to be a way to delete directly
on the Nook and not be so dependent on online PC activity.  I shouldn't have to sign on to my online
account in order to delete a book or a sample. (The Kindle I used prior to the
Nook allows a user to delete a book or a sample directly from the device
itself.)

3. I didn't find out until after I had the Nook that the
horizontal view only works on select functions which doesn't include most books
adults read!   Why is that?  (The PC app for Nook works with a horizontal
view.  It would be nice if there was some
consistency!)

4. The battery only works for about 5 hours.  This is a real downside to the device.  It requires you have your adaptor with you at
all times.

5. I pre-ordered a few books and found out that no matter
how long before the book is published you pay for it in advance.  I no longer pre-order books from Nook.  (Amazon doesn't charge for Kindle books until
the book has been delivered.  Most
retailers have this standard business practice.)

6. The Nook app for my Android has a page swipe that has the
look and feel of turning a paper book page (like the ipod).  The Nook Color does not.  Why not? 
(Again, a consistency issue.)

7. Downloading books. 
I have purchased three books so far. 
Only one downloaded as it should, i.e., without any assistance from tech
support.  This happened when I ordered a
sample (and later purchased the book) and when I ordered a pre-order (which
should have downloaded automatically upon publication but did not).  It took about 20 minutes each support call to
download the books.  This is a deal
killer for me.

I find the Nook to be too dependent on and controlled from
the online B&N website.  A user
should be able to control the content of their device from the device itself.

I also find these issues significant, especially the number
of tech calls required, the down time I have with them, and the problems with
downloading.  Enough so that I am going to return it.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme

I have a nook classic 3g and a Nook color and have never experienced anything like that.