New User
SUED444
0 Kudos

nook color won't turn on

Last night i had about half battery left. i plugged it in and brought it to work this morning.  now it won't turn on.  Anyone else have power issues?

New User
NRJ18
0 Kudos

Re: nook color won't turn on

Had the same issue. Mine was dead the second day i bought it. Had to return it.

Inspired Contributor
Saltimbocca
0 Kudos

Mine went dead temporarily once - wouldn't respond to anything I did.  But I kept trying it and after an hour or so it just turned on as if there was nothing wrong.  It never happened again so I've just kept it.

On the Internet, only dyslexics know you're a god.
Contributor
BrenCocoaFL

I had a problem when I first got mine, but the culprit ended out being the sd card. Figured it out by taking the sd card out, then tried turning it on, and came up without a problem. Have the nc format it for you, then put stuff on it. After I did that, it's behaved fine. The card I used had originally been formatted for my palm centro, so I think there was operating system files I didn't see which were confusing the nc.

Inspired Contributor
BookieDT
0 Kudos

Same thing happened to me today.  I had about a third battery remaining so charged it at work, read some during lunch and then now it will not power on at all.  I plugged it back in and the status bar indicates green, but still not able to open the darn thing.

Any suggestions?  It's frozen up on me a few times, but this is the first time that I've not been able to get it to respond.  Help is needed.

Thanks.

Contributor
dawgdude
0 Kudos

If the problem persists, it's always good to call the customer support people. If the problem ends up being the NC hardware, this provides a record so you can get a replacement eventually. If the NC software is active but not responsive, the battery will drain in 8 hrs, which will be a clue. I try holding down the power button for 10 secs if I think the sw is spinning. Then wait a minute before trying to power up again. This sometimes worked for my previous NC, which had flaky hardware.
Frequent Contributor
ratman6161
0 Kudos

My wife's did this within the first couple of days she had it.  I called tech support and the told me to push the power button and just keep holding it down.  After holding it down for a bit it cam back on.  Apparently holding down the button is equivilent to pressing the reset button on a PC

Inspired Contributor
BookieDT

That's what I had to do and after about 25 seconds it powered back up.  Not sure what caused that, but I'm so glad I didn't have to go all weekend without my Nook.

Reader
Sprootles
0 Kudos

This morning mine would not turn on after I powered it off (not just in sleep mode).  So, I read your post, pulled the SD card, and then it turned on fine.  The SD card was the culprit for me.  I had just used one out of an old cellphone, but now I'll make sure I get a new SD Card only for my Nook.

New User
sevisu
0 Kudos

Yes - Mine if fairly new...I haven't used it much,  but on more than one occassion it will suddenly do nothing.   I am looking for a solution...it won't turn on right now and it is fully charged

New User
tammieP
0 Kudos

this worked for me. thanks

New User
tdeprat
0 Kudos

Thank you!!  Holding it down did the trick!!

Reader
Ladyreads
0 Kudos

This worked for me! Thanks.

New User
mamasap
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. I took mine out and my nook came on.

New User
bak333
0 Kudos

My daughter's nook kept losing power, and we could not figure out how to fix it  We even returned and replaced her nook once.  I read a post on this website to hold down power button for 30 seconds.  Wait 30 seconds and it should come back on.  IT WORKED! Thanks to whoever suggested this fix!

New User
CattyB
0 Kudos

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

I pressed and held the power button on my fully charged but unresponsive NC for about 20 seconds until the "Read Forever" flashed onto the screen then let it complete it's 'wake up'.

I'd heard (back when I was first shopping for a reader and looking at problems that people had) that if you held the power button down for too long, you'd loose all your purchased items  --- Glad to know that that's not true!  All your stuff is saved for you in the 'cloud'.