Reader 2
karankj
0 Kudos

pdf's and the nook color

Will I be able to make notes on pdf's just like in your nook study with the new nook color?  Will the nook study program run on the new nook color?

New User
Boodog55
0 Kudos

Re: pdf's and the nook color

Very good question. It should. Somebody please answer this question.

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

No, we do not have highlighting or annotation support available in the PDF reader for NOOKcolor.

-Jeffrey

Contributor
CindyKee
0 Kudos

Why not? This is a really important feature for me! I want to be able to annotate ALL of my books, not just the ones I buy from BN.com. Not everything I own is available from BN as a NookBook.

Contributor
tekrecon
0 Kudos

If you use Calibre and convert your pdf files to epub, you would have all those features.

My gripe is that there doesn't seem to be a way to put non-BN content on the main (Home) screen of the Nook Color. If I can't find a way to do THAT, I will return my Nook Color.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Calibre's conversion from PDF to ePub is very limited. This is mostly a PDF limitation, but I must say I have found this particular conversion to be mostly useless.

Contributor
CindyKee
0 Kudos

I have been playing around with Calibre and some other so-called PDF-to-ePUB converters this morning and wasn't very successful. Though, I didn't try doing a straight convert for the purposes of annotations. I was trying to convert PDFs with internal links, ie. Table of Contents, to an ePub format that would preserve those links. Unfortunately, I could not get to work.

I will try one of my converted files for purposes of annotating and see if I can at least get over that hurdle.

But I would still like both internal and Internet links in a PDF file to be clickable! At least the internal ones!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

I've had some success converting PDFs with a commercial product called "pdftoepub", which they're giving away until the end of the year.

However, it requires a lot of customization for each e-book. You'll probably have to select margins that will clip off the headers and footers without clipping off any of the text, and then there's the tedious process of adjusting the mapping of PDF characters to text characters. For example, PDF might have a ligature for "fl" and you'll want it to map to "fl". Then there's modifying the conversion scripts to recognize the italic and bold font names so that text in those fonts comes out italic and/or bold in the EPUB.

It seems to have problems with getting graphics and text properly sequenced, or maybe I haven't figured out how to control that. And I'm still missing something to tell it how to recognize chapter breaks.

Anyway, pdftoepub does a better job of figuring out where paragraphs start and end, and where the line breaks and page breaks are just accidents of the original page formatting process, than other tools I've used. But expect to make multiple runs on each e-book, going back and re-adjusting the customization each time until you finally get it right (and do save off the customization in case you find a glitch later on).

Contributor
CindyKee
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I've had some success converting PDFs with a commercial product called "pdftoepub", which they're giving away until the end of the year.

Have you been able to preserve a Table of Contents from the PDF file and have links in the EPUB file that work?

Can you give us a link to this product that they are giving away until the end of the year?

Thank you!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Yes, the links seem to work. This isn't something that I've done a lot with, so all I can say is "seem to work".

I can't give you a link. Forum rules forbid posting links to other companies. Do a Google search for pdftoepub.

Frequent Contributor
woodsonh
0 Kudos

Probably better to convert using Adobe reader. It's limited to a text file, so you loose some functionality. However there are several programs that do very good conversions. Some of them are on line. Do a pdf to html search. Calibre should be able to convert that to an epub.

Probably better to convert using Adobe reader. It's limited to a text file, so you loose some functionality. However there are several programs that do very good conversions. Some of them are on line. Do a pdf to html search. Calibre should be able to convert that to an epub.

from calibre help file

from calibre help file

calibre does not directly convert .doc files from Microsoft Word. However, in Word, you can save the document as HTML and then convert the resulting HTML file with calibre. When saving as HTML, be sure to use the “Save as Web Page, Filtered” option as this will produce clean HTML that will convert well.

from calibre help file

calibre does not directly convert .doc files from Microsoft Word. However, in Word, you can save the document as HTML and then convert the resulting HTML file with calibre. When saving as HTML, be sure to use the “Save as Web Page, Filtered” option as this will produce clean HTML that will convert well.

woody

New User
DajericaK
0 Kudos

Hi I was wondering could you download pdf files off your computer onto the Nook Color also?

New User
DajericaK
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone who answered! It really help and I think I meant Adobe Reader files. I don't know does it apply to that as well? Can you put your Adobe Reader files onto the Nook Color?

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

If you mean, can you download PDF files from your PC to your NC, then yes. 

But if you mean can you download the Adobe Reader program from your PC to the Nook and run it there, the answer is no.

- Mark