Contributor
dpals
0 Kudos

"Cannot play Video" message when trying to view Youtube videos

Whenever I try to view a Youtube video the screen goes black with "Loading Video..." in white letters and followed by a white message box with the title "Cannot play Video".  The text in the message box states "Sorry, this video cannot be played".

This is using the m.youtube.com website.

I've also tried to use the www.youtube.com website but videos on that site display a "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video " message for all of the videos that I tried.

Youtube videos aren't critical to me (it's a reader after all!) but it would be nice if this worked.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: "Cannot play Video" message when trying to view Youtube videos

@dpals,

NOOKcolor will not support Flash videos. Most or all videos on www.youtube.com are Flash, which is why you received the message to upgrade the Flash player. Flash will not play on current NOOKcolor.

Also, network connectivity and firewall restrictions can also cause videos to fail. Most home or open networks should work without issue, but corporate networks and other higher security networks will most likely block the port needed to stream m.youtube.com videos. (UDP Ports; 554, 6700+, etc)

Also, if the network is extremely slow it is likely that a timeout will occur before playback begins. In both cases, you will see a “Loading Video” notification followed by a “Cannot Play Video” error.

Contributor
the_joey_o
0 Kudos

When I first turned on my nook color, I got the same message, viewing Youtube videos that were supposed to be playable on phones (not the flash version). Fully shutting down and starting up my device solved the issue for me.

New User
Rao_Kasibhotla
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Michael-V, I am using my NookColor at home, so port blocking shouldn't be an issue (unless ever helpful Comcast is doing something). I am able to watch the very same videos using my Android phone using the same home network, so not sure I can blame Comcast. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

As Joey stated, sometime a reboot of the NC (hold power button down for 5-6 seconds) will clear up m.youtube issues.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.