Contributor
jgaudan
0 Kudos

Re: sound issues

Unfortunately mine starts with 2004 and I am currently waiting for a replacement for the same problem. Sorry...

Contributor
tarrant
0 Kudos

well, it was worth a shot.  Now the question is do I exchange again or wait and see if the next update really has a fix.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I have a 2004 with the sound problem. I don't use sound much. Still going to chk with B&N CS about a fix. Hope an update takes care of it. Not looking fwd tosetting up a new one. Downloading/sideloading all my books n files would suck outloud
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
New User
DarylAllan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Same issue here on a 2005... sn purchased from BestBuy.  I noticed it today while watching movies.  Same symptoms as previously described.  I'll have a go at exchanging maybe once or twice and go from there.  Anyone notice yet if the headphones have to be used to cause the issue?

I had a similar problem on my HTC Hero phone.  Basically, all sound would quit if the screen darkened while the headphones were being used.  The phone had to be reset to fix the problem.  After exchanging it the problem hasn't returned after a year. 

New User
DarylAllan
0 Kudos

Follow up..

I just did a factory reset.  Prior to my reset, my NC would lose sound iaw with the previous posts here.  Basically, any exit from a movie during play would result in all sound being killed; from any application.

I'm thinking there are files that are overwritten differently after a factory reset.  In other words, an out of the box NC is not identical to a factory reset NC.  For example, initially the NC showed up as "Media" on my Windows 7 workstation and after the reset the NC now shows up as "MyNOOKcolor".  Additionally, the stock included books and content is different.  The home screen desktop layout is different as well.

Here are my test results after the factory reset

Without Headphones:
exit from movie using "back" then restart movie:  Pass
exit from movie using home button then restart movie: Pass
exit from movie using home button, allow to sleep, 20minutes: Pass

With Headphones:
exit from movie using "back" then remove headphones, then restart movie: Pass
re-insert headphones: Pass
remove headphones and reinsert while playing: Pass

Will continue to monitor and test..

Contributor
bnbcar
0 Kudos

I don't know about the layouts or whatever. I reset my device at least a dozen times (you do this by turning off your device then holding Power & Volume+ & Home while it boots back up until it asks you to reset). Nothing ever seemed to change to me by doing that.

On my old device I tried the old plug/unplug headphones trick for earlier Android software, that didn't work. I haven't tried the headphone jack on the one I currently have, but, frankly, I'm scared to do anything that might "tip the balance" so to speak :smileyhappy:

My old device was a 200490000 and the current one I have is also a 200490000. It must be a minor batch if it is a batch, though I have a feeling this is some kind of race condition in either the hardware, or, more likely, the software causing the problem.

Honestly, it would mostly just be nice if Nook_Engineer or someone from Barnes and Noble would just come in here and give us a definitive answer. If the problem is in hardware, let us know how we can exchange problem devices for working ones. If it is software, let us know so we don't continue to waste time exchanging devices until we get ones that work.

It doesn't seem to be a minor problem experienced by a small group of people. I went to the B&N B&M and one of the devices worked correctly while the other one had the sound problem. Sadly, the girl behind the nook desk was utterly clueless and went so far as to say that I was being ridiculous and wasn't really having a problem. It's frustrating when a Walmart employee knows more than the nook person at the B&N store.

Contributor
tarrant
0 Kudos

yeah serial number was definitely a straw grasp. As far as when it loses audio, both of mine basically never had sound after waking up. No testing to see if anything else triggered the issue. I will exchange one more time, if new one has the same issue I'll try the factory rest. The current unit has a couple dead pixels as well so.... This is why I hardly every buy anything in the first months of release.
Contributor
Lu-La-Bell
0 Kudos

I'm having the same sound issues and my serial number starts with 2004.....

"A book-lover never goes to bed alone"
Contributor
ScottSVL
0 Kudos

I've had my replacement NC for almost a week now and no sound problems so far. The SN of the new unit begins with 2005. I recommend replacing any unit with sound problems until you get one that works ALL the time. Don't take any gobbledy-goob from BN about future fixes - just get a new one.

Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

DarylAllan wrote:

Follow up..

I just did a factory reset.  Prior to my reset, my NC would lose sound iaw with the previous posts here.  Basically, any exit from a movie during play would result in all sound being killed; from any application.

Here are my test results after the factory reset

Without Headphones:

With Headphones:
exit from movie using "back" then remove headphones, then restart movie: Pass
re-insert headphones: Pass
remove headphones and reinsert while playing: Pass

Will continue to monitor and test..

B&N did a factory reset when I returned mine for the vanishing audio problem. It worked after that, until I did a reboot & the problem was back. After the factory reset, I did several sleep-wake-test-audio, sleep-wake-test & it was solid until I did a full power off & restart. The problem was back just like before. I was not using headphones. When putting it to sleep, be sure to wait several, >5sec. before waking it. When mine was failing, I found that waking it immediately did not reveal the problem.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

Just FYI, I did a factory reset - still no sound after sleep mode and now I also lost the misc sounds I had before the reset, like the click sound when using the keyboard.  Not good.

New User
DarylAllan
0 Kudos

Update:   The morning after my last post, the sound problems returned.  I boxed up and returned the unit that morning and have been playing the new one almost non stop snice.  No sound problems after numerous reboots, sleep cycles, pandora, movies, books, etc.

When i explained the problem to the return counter at BestBuy the girl said it was the first one being returned for that reason.

Contributor
tarrant
0 Kudos

Looks like the third unit was a charm for me. Had it a couples days now with no issues, so, yay.
Frequent Contributor
Minpinrose
0 Kudos

No audio problems I am aware of.  S/N begins with 2004.  However, I have noticed that when the NC goes to sleep music continues to play even with black screen;  I suspect that this may be intentional because music continues even when you move to another app like it can continue when you are reading as well.

New User
DAED1
0 Kudos

I am having sound issues as well. Just bought mine Two weeks ago. It worked for the video, stopped after that. I also bought ear phones to try to see if they  would work.  No. I also can't seem to load Pandora. The loading circle just keeps spinning...spinning.

New User
MelMH
0 Kudos

I've had 2 so far and both had/have sound problems. The first one started with a 2004 and the one I have now starts with a 2005. Interesting thought.

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bnbcar wrote:
...My old device was a 200490000 and the current one I have is also a 200490000. It must be a minor batch if it is a batch, though I have a feeling this is some kind of race condition in either the hardware, or, more likely, the software causing the problem.

If this was a firmware issue, then logic would stand that an update would either cure or cause this issue. I've had my NC for roughly a week (Xmas present, of course) and experienced the problem in both 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 versions. Since there appears to be no rhyme or reason why this affliction is spread to NC's of both the 2004 and 2005 naming, I can only assume that it is a faulty audio component (see below for what seems like faint audio issues as well) or a faulty power management setup/scheme (likely - considering a fresh reboot usually cures).

Until B&N comes out with anything official in the way of a statement, one could only assume that they don't know either and are racing to address it properly by knowing precisely what the problem is rather than making another PR misstep (in-line with what bnbcar also mentioned about looking for some sign - think like the "Batman" sign).

My major concern here is that I'm going to go through the effort (especially as this was a gift) to swap out for another NC and the problem might easily be addressed with a firmware update from B&N - it's like the blind leading the blind here if they don't know exactly what causes the issue (or are not communicating it out of fear of mass returns rather than exchanges).

I'd like to pose a question to any of you that have experienced this issue (and possibly those of you that think its fixed on a new swapout). I have noticed that the sound at its maximum seems to still be subpar for my desired listening volume. This usually is most noticeable when looking at a "Read to Me" NookKids book with my daughter. However, in contract, when listening to Pandora Music it seems to be a more acceptable volume. Any thoughts? Were some of the audio problems experienced also "faint audio"?

As a final note, I must say I'm in love with the NC, but this audio issue is like some significant other's baggage/emotional issues/hangups that I'm trying to convince myself is worth ignoring to enjoy the NC when it works the rest of the time. Love the forums.

EDIT: This is the link for the other forum topic regarding the same issue (in case there's any chance we can consolidate in hopes of not missing anything):

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Sound-issues/m-p/769716/highlight/tru...

Oh, and BTW, caught 3 other topics throughout the forums where this issue was brought up - sent up the smoke signals to hopefully move it all here.

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737

UPDATE: I exchanged out my NC tonight. The B&N Nook guy was totally skeptical that a swap-out would help with the issue, but he had not heard of this problem either (only a matter of time methinks). He made it fairly painless and even switched over the 2 year Accidental Protection I had purchased to the new device. The serial on the old one was 2004...and this one is 2005...and this one so far seems to be in really good shape. When the device comes back from sleep, no issue with sound functioning 100%. NookKids books, "typing" sound when using the keyboard, and Mobile Youtube videos. So far, so good. Glad I mustered up the energy to just get it over with.

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Reader
sasso1214
0 Kudos

I just got off the phone with Barnes and Noble customer service after a long, 1hr and 45 minute wait. The customer support woman told me - and she checked with a senior engineer there - that ALL nook colors have this sound issue and that if I return my unit I will have the same exact issue. So I am not sure what to do. She said that a future software update is in the works that MAY fix it.

If that is the case - that they all have this issue like the rep said, aren't they treading on class action lawsuit territory or something? Shouldn't they make SOME kind of announcement?

On another note, this is my SIXTH NookColor. The first one had a dead pixel, the second one had the sound issue, the third and fourth ones had screen flicker issue, the fifth in store one had the screen flicker issue (look that one up - dim brightness will have some screens flickering when there is a grey background - especially noticable on the quick menu screen) - and now my 6th one has the sound issue again.

What do you think I should do? I am afraid if I go back to the store I will get one with a screen flickering problem, which is far worse than the sound issue - I am willing to wait for a software fix for this, but I would like if SOMEONE from B&N would respond to confirm if this is the case or not??

Reader
Mrs-EdwardCullen
0 Kudos

I would definitly return it.  I took mine to the barnes and noble store near my house after having sound issues and was told that they couldn't exchange it there and that I'd have to call the customer service number and that it would be really easy to exchange by mail.  I ordered my original one online and it had been 15 days since the purchase date.  After waiting an hour to speak with someone I thought this is crappy (I also didn't want to have to wait to send mine back and wait for them to send a new one) therefore I took it to a different store location and the employee I spoke to said this was the first time he had heard of the problem but was very nice and exchanged it for me on the spot and my new one has no issues at all I'm so happy with it because that sound issue was such a pain in the butt.  So I think the odds are definitly in your favor that you should get lucky with your next :smileyhappy: