New User
Ultimoose
0 Kudos

Re: sound issues

Just to chime in as I too had the sound issue.  For the person who asked about rooting, the problem persists under Android 2.1 and Android Froyo 2.2 so it's not an OS issue per se. 

I was able to exchange mine last night without any problem at the store but I had my receipt and it had only been a week since I'd purchased the device.  I did test the new in the store using Pandora to make sure it was working at the time.  I rooted it with 2.1 and it still works and I used 2.2 booted off a SD card and it still works. 

I don't think it's strictly a hardware issue although it has to be at least in part since the Nooks all have identical firmware and OS's.  Since a hard boot will 'wake up' the sound circuitry it's possible that something could be modified to force it to wake up properly on an unlock. 

My store was a little cagey about admitting if there were any problems, fairly evasive on if they'd seen any such problems before. But they were happy to let me swap it out and then test the new one in front of them.  YMMV.

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

The one I exchanged previously was 3 days old and they still refused to exchange just based on the sound issue.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Mama_Mayhem wrote:

The one I exchanged previously was 3 days old and they still refused to exchange just based on the sound issue.

Is there another B&N store near you?  If so, I'd take the refund and re-purchase the NC at the other store.  

I don't understand their logic, though...they'll give you a refund before they will do an exchange?  How does that make sense?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

I finally got them to do an exchange by pointing out the flickering, but the new one has the same problem LOL

Contributor
pubfan
0 Kudos

Reader
Robert_Stark_
0 Kudos

The recently release firmware upgrade v1.1 has fixed my sound issue.

New User
jheengr
0 Kudos

What bothers me is B&N continues to sell the device with the known audio problem. That is irresponsible!  I'm still waiting for THE audio fix after 5 weeks of calling CS.  Certainly they've known about it longer, so it must be a pretty lame technical team working it to not have a fix by now.

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

About 3 weeks, did a lot of things with it that are not explained in the manual, but no sound issues whatsoever. Got about 20+ hours of video playback done on it, maybe 10 hours of pandora, and no problems whatsoever.