Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

Re: sound issues

It has been three days now with the new one and no sounds issues whatsoever. The first thing I noticed was when I unlock the NC after reviving from sleep is a page turning sound. I never had that with the old one. Knocking on wood...

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Contributor
GoochPuppy
0 Kudos

Definitely widespread. Re: sound issues

Considering the number of comments here and on various Android-Nook forums, the sleep-to-sound failure problem is very common and consistent.

It has not been fixed with the 1.0.1 software patch.

My serial ends with 200A.

I wish that B&N would admit the problem and issue a recall; but perhaps they don't even know which batches are affected, or are still determining if a software patch can fix it.

Meanwhile, they would save a lot of customer frustration and their own time if they had an online or email exchange initiation process. Many of us are a long way from a B&N store ... 'cuz they have been closing quite a few of them!

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Re: Definitely widespread. Re: sound issues

"Many of us are a long way from a B&N store ... 'cuz they have been closing quite a few of them!"

Lets hope that number is not pushed higher due to further mismanagement

They have a make it or break it situation with the Nook Color. Cant even fathom the $$ tied up in this device. Hope they dont try a cut n run. I really want them to succeed. selfish reasons = I like my NC. I want the bugs fixed.  I also have enjoyed going to the B&N store for a browse n a cup a coffee.

JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
mcfac
0 Kudos

Same issue here. I keep getting this error: activity fava book reader (in application Fava Book Reader) is not responding. This is when I try to read the two demo books on the nook. It doesn’t matter if I select read to me or read myself.

I brought it into my local store, they observed the problem. After attempting some setting changes, they called tech support, completely wiped out my account and reregistered the Nook with its serial number.  It worked in the store, the same error popped up again at home. As they wiped out my account once to try to fix, I'm not buying books until this is somehow resolved.

I’m not convinced this device is ready for prime time.

New User
poppie522
0 Kudos

Contributor
furg
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook Color a little over 4 weeks and have had no problems with my sound or anything else.  My serial number starts with 2004.

Frequent Contributor
T-TW
0 Kudos

Took my NookColor back today for an exchange. The sales person said that they had heard about the sound issue and it was a bad batch. After confirming that I didn't have any sound, by trying to listen to a book, he gave me a new one, deactivated the old one, helped me register the new one, and checked the sound. So far so good, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Ialso bought the anti-glare protective sheets while I was there. They are well worth the money. Now I'm just waiting on my cover to arrive in the mail.
Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

Had the "no sound after sleep" problem.  I exchanged it and the new one doesn't seem to have the problem.  I haven't lost the sound so far.

I am wondering what sounds it actually is supposed to make, for example:

1.   Does your NC make a page turning sound?  I could swear my old NC did did but the new one doesn't. 

2.  My new NC makes keyboard clicking sounds when I type  but no clicking sounds when I enter letters in the crossword puzzle.  I know my last NC clicked in the crossword puzzle.

I feel like I'm going nuts with these sound issues.  It would be nice if there was a list of actions and the sounds associated with those actions. 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

No page-turn sound.  No sounds from the crossword puzzle. There's a turn-on sound, and a sound when the USB disconnects.  Another sound when the microSD card is unmounted, and when it's removed. Beeps with volume up/down (when no media is running).

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
GoochPuppy
0 Kudos

T-TW wrote:
The sales person said that they had heard about the sound issue and it was a bad batch. After confirming that I didn't have any sound, by trying to listen to a book, he gave me a new one, deactivated the old one, helped me register the new one, and checked the sound. .

Glad to hear that you had a painless exchange process!

Now if we could get B&N to admit that there is a bad batch and what the Serial # sequence is so they can issue a recall..., please???

Do you mind telling us the first few digits of your serial number (on the Settings / Device Info / About Your Nook Color menu page...).

Thanks,

...G.

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

GoochPuppy wrote:
Glad to hear that you had a painless exchange process!
Now if we could get B&N to admit that there is a bad batch and what the Serial # sequence is so they can issue a recall..., please???
Do you mind telling us the first few digits of your serial number (on the Settings / Device Info / About Your Nook Color menu page...).
Thanks,
...G.

My swap-out process was VERY painless. I also had them switch over the 2 Year Accident Protection that was purchased for my first NC. Ended up with a clean receipt that showed the return of the old one (with serial listed - which was a 2004...btw) and the "purchase" of the new one (which is a 2005...). Going on one week straight now and not a single sound issue yet!

I suspect if it is a "bad batch" that it stretches across both the 2004 and 2005 serial'd devices as some posters here have had sound issues with a 2005 serial (perhaps where the serial rolls over into the 2005's). Anecdotedly, my first one was ordered from B&N's website and was shipped out whereas the second came from a Brick & Mortar B&N.

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Contributor
GoochPuppy
0 Kudos

Hermes737 wrote:

I suspect if it is a "bad batch" that it stretches across both the 2004 and 2005 serial'd devices as some posters here have had sound issues with a 2005 serial (perhaps where the serial rolls over into the 2005's). Anecdotedly, my first one was ordered from B&N's website and was shipped out whereas the second came from a Brick & Mortar B&N.

Dang! Mine is also a 2005* ; and was Brick & Mortar purchase; so it won't be easy to be certain of having a good replacement.

I hope I can do my replacement at a store and try out the new unit before leaving the store!

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

riffraff, thanks.  I guess I have all the sounds.  I could swear I heard the click when I entered into the crossword puzzle on my first NC.

Serial # on both old and new NC started with 2004.

Bought at Best Buy.  Replacement couldn't be easier.  They asked if it was defective, I said yes and they gave me a new NC. 

New User
mons00n1

Hello Everyone:

SN 200512XXXXXXXX

I noticed the same issue everyone here is experiencing.

As further debug info:

1.  If my Nook Color "sleeps" itself, I'll lose all audio (speaker & headphone)

2.  If I sleep the Nook Color using the power button (while audio is working) upon waking, audio

works!

The only remedy is to hold the power button down for 5 seconds, select Power Off.  Then power the Nook Color back on.  Audio will work until the Nook Color "sleeps" itself.

I bought mine via B&M.  My wife bought her's via Online.  Her Nook Color is working fine.

I'll be returning mine  this weekend and I'll not leave the store until I have one that can have it's audio survive the sleep cycle.

New User
mons00n1

Further feedback:

After using the power button to sleep the Nook Color, if you WAIT for a while...  The same audio failure occurs.

But if you use the power button to wake the sleeping Nook shortly after putting it to sleep, the audio will work.

So it seems like what ever is happening internally is due to the inactivity only, maybe not a sleep but hibernate mode?

Frequent Contributor
Minpinrose
0 Kudos

I too have had no page-turning sound since I purchased mine.  Also-no crossword entry sound.  Only if typing on the virtual keyboard..  It would be nice if someone knew what exactly is "normal". 

In addition I notice that if inactivity causes the screen to blacken while music is playing music continues. If I bring the screen the screen back music continues.  If i cause the screen to blacken intentionally it continues.  The only way to stop the audio is to completely power off.  I took this to be intentional so that you could listen while reading.  And that is how I use it a lot.

Another observation-speaker alone requires volume to be at maximum volume to use adequately.  But with headphones maximum volume is ear-shattering.  I have only had limited experience with Ipod headphones so was wondering if that is typical.  Or is this another sound issue we need to investigate with B&N?

Frequent Contributor
Minpinrose
0 Kudos

Add to my earlier post-  the keyboard clicking sound was missing due to the volume issue I mentioned earlier.  Unless you have it set at maximum volume I could not hear the keyboard clicks.  As for the page-turning sound I still do not have that sound.

Frequent Contributor
T-TW
0 Kudos

The first four numbers of the serial # is 2005. I don't remember what the one I took back was. Hope this helps.
Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

Count me in as having the sound glitch. I'm a little frustrated, I'm on my 5th Nook color! 

The tally for me so far:

#1 had bubbles under the screen that were pretty big

#2 the bezel was separated on the bottom and you could see the LCD screen through it, I also had flickering, and weird yellow banding on the display.

#3 Bezel was separating on the left and there was dust under the glass

#4 Had a brown finger print under the glass (you could see the swirls and everything)

#5 The sound vanishes when it goes to sleep and it flickers

I tried calling tech support and all they would tell me is that they are working on a fix and to just do a soft or hard reset. I've had this nook less then a day! So far Barnes and Noble brick and mortar has been fantastic but they are a hour drive round trip and I've done it 3 times so far.

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

Oh and for the record my serial starts with #2010