Contributor
bnbcar
0 Kudos

Re: sound issues

I still think the issue boils down to a rare race condition in the software on certain devices. It seems  that this condition is out of the end user's hands, though, since nothing you try to do to reset it doesn't work.

My first device was a 200490* and my second device is a 200490*. The first was no sound, the second seems fine with no sound problems or flickering issues that I can see.

What I expect to see from B&N, though, is a public admittance of a problem "We have identified a problem that happens in rae cases where the sound will not work after the device goes to sleep" and either admittance that the problem has not been narrowed down, or a solution "We have not yet identified the problem but are looking into it" or "The solution for this problem is to update your firmware/replace our hardware/etc".

The fact that B&N hasn't even commented on this issue is just sad. We don't even know if they have recognized a problem exists or that they are looking into fxing it in any way. And who is to say my new device doesn't hit this race condition sometime and now I don't have sound again?

PLEASE B&N, let us know you hear us. Don't make me regret buying what is an otherwise incredible device.

On a side note, I'd love to see someone who is havintg this problem who is feeling a bit more adventurous than me root their device and see if the problem persists. There is even a custom 2.2 firmware for the Nook Color that would be interesting to see if it fixes the problem.

Contributor
Brdwygurl
0 Kudos

Called support today because I have been having the same sound issue.  Now they are saying  "it is a known issue and we are working on it".  They refused to do a return/replacement because they say it's not a warranty issue and affects ALL nook colors.  And they don't have a fix date.

It's so frustrating.  I am stuck with a product that doesn't work.  How can they know about the issue and continue to sell defective devices?.  If I try to return the item to Best Buy they charge a restocking fee for opened electronics.  This is crap  :smileymad:

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

They said it affects all Nooks? Yikes, this combined with the low light flicker makes me want to get my money back now.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Many folks have reported both no low-light flicker and no sound problems so these are not universal issues. You can't even really tell on what is a tech-support board how common these problems are. Obviously, many or most folks who come here ARE having a problem.

However, if you are dissatisfied you may, of course, request either exchange or return of your Nook Color.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Brdwygurl wrote:

Called support today because I have been having the same sound issue.  Now they are saying  "it is a known issue and we are working on it".  They refused to do a return/replacement because they say it's not a warranty issue and affects ALL nook colors.  And they don't have a fix date.

That doesn't sound right to me. Mine works fine, and I'd venture to speculate that the sound works in most peoples' NC units. Otherwise, there'd be a complete deluge of posts on this thread about it.

I'd take it into a B&N store and talk to a manager about exchanging it.

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

I think I'm going to try to exchange for number 6 and hope it is better. This one has no sound, flickers and I have a tea color strip on the top and left side. 

Contributor
Brdwygurl
0 Kudos

However, if you are dissatisfied you may, of course, request either exchange or return of your Nook Color.

Believe me I tried.  I purchased at BB (not BN)...and BB will only do an exchange because it's been more than 14 days.

At this point I just want to return the thing and be done with it.  I kept asking the BN support person if I could send it in for a warranty exchange.  Her response was that this was NOT a warranty issue, and they refused to do a warranty return.  So yea, I am stuck with a defective item that they sold me KNOWING it was defective.

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

I'm going to try to swap mine out tomorrow, mine not only has the sound issue but it has a flicker that is driving me nuts. I don't think BN would let me return it either since it was a Christmas present.

Contributor
mcfac
0 Kudos

Actually, I can believe that the issue is completely under reported. After all, many people are buying the Nook solely to read books, so audio (or lack thereof) may not be something people miss right away. Also, people are busy, as it's a secondary feature, they may not be rushing back to the store. However, from an interface design standpoint, I know the audio cues for page turning and other actions would help in learning the device and enrich the user experience. Very annoying!

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Since, as far as I know, all the difficulties with sound have to do with sleep mode, and since that should be under software control, I think it is extremely likely that there can be a software fix. I suspect it is on B&N's radar for a future update.

New stuff is going to have bugs. Even old stuff has bugs. I am very hopeful that this issue is in that category.

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

I feel horrible about it b/c it was a gift from my husband and he was so proud of finding me such an awesome gift and I've yet to get one that works right. How can I have had 5 in a row that all had issues? I'm getting despondent about this thing.

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

Mama_Mayhem wrote:

I feel horrible about it b/c it was a gift from my husband and he was so proud of finding me such an awesome gift and I've yet to get one that works right. How can I have had 5 in a row that all had issues? I'm getting despondent about this thing.

Makes me almost think your store's entire load has the issue. Is that even possible? Hmm...what are the odds (carry the one...)?

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

Well the first one was purchased about 2 weeks before Christmas and the second was traded out the day after. Out of the 3 I went through on Saturday, they all had different serial numbers but I'm hoping to break out of the jinx. I'm going to a B&N near my office in hopes that I'll change my luck. The B&N was flummoxed by my string of luck and truth be told I thought I had found a good one, and I purposely wasn't looking for issues. However the yellow was pretty evident when I started to read and the sound was out immediately. I thought I could live with the flicker, but it has gotten worse :smileysad: Jinxed! 

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

Mama_Mayhem wrote:

Well the first one was purchased about 2 weeks before Christmas and the second was traded out the day after. Out of the 3 I went through on Saturday, they all had different serial numbers but I'm hoping to break out of the jinx. I'm going to a B&N near my office in hopes that I'll change my luck. The B&N was flummoxed by my string of luck and truth be told I thought I had found a good one, and I purposely wasn't looking for issues. However the yellow was pretty evident when I started to read and the sound was out immediately. I thought I could live with the flicker, but it has gotten worse :smileysad: Jinxed! 

You're practically a poster child for NC tech support issues.

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
New User
poppie522
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

Ok I went and tried to exchange for number 6. Barnes and Noble is NOT exchanging Nooks that have the sound issue anymore, they're officially having people wait for an update. However, my other one was still flickering and so I was able to nicely convince them for an exchange. 

IT HAS THE SAME ISSUES!!! No Sound after sleep, flickering, and slight yellow screen discoloration. (also 2 pieces of dust under the screen).

Contributor
GoochPuppy
0 Kudos

I exchanged mine at local store yesterday and Customer Services was immediately responsive and helpful (even though the first unit was purchased by mail order and I only had a gift receipt).

I registered and tested the new unit before leaving the store. It worked fine and continues to do so.

Since they all run the same OS, I doubt this is a software problem (though there may be a software fix / work around ... e.g., have the OS bounce the software driver after waking up, for example).

In the meantime, if you "need" sound for any reason (children's books, MP3 files, video), then get it exchanged and test the new unit in the store. If an exchange is refused, then demand warranty support. This is MOST definitely a failure covered by warranty. I'm not a lawyer, but if warranty exchanges are refused on this issue, I smell a class-action lawsuit in the works -- then again, B&N are not Apple, and may not be worth the lawyer's time.

You can complain to your state government though.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

It may not be a software issue, but that doesn't mean in can't be fixed in software.

I'm hoping that if that is really now the policy, it means B&N has actually DETERMINED that the problem can and will be fixed in the next rev. Here's hoping....

Frequent Contributor
Mama_Mayhem
0 Kudos

They won't exchange me anymore, they tried to get me to take a refund, but I asked to exchange and they had to get it approved. I'm stuck with the no sound one with the slightly wonky screen I'm afraid. 

Contributor
Brdwygurl

Well people complained of this issue since at least early December and it's still not fixed. How much time did they spend denying the issue even existed.   Doesn't seem to be a priority for them.  Mine started doing this crazy page turning thing where it wouldn't stop.  I am going to try again to convince BB to take it back.

I wonder if i said to BN...... I am going to keep my nook color but there is a "known issue" with my credit card and you won't get paid.  I promise you I am working on a solution.    :smileywink: