Contributor
Sofia_NW
0 Kudos

sound issues

I've had my nook for less than 24hrs and it no longer plays sound. I called tech support and they told me to exchange it. . But now I been reading the message boards and it seems to be a common problem. Now I am not sure if I should just get my money back. My question is for those who've had the nook color for a while, have you had any sound issues?

Frequent Contributor
KeWaDaHa

Re: sound issues

I have had my NC for 3 weeks.  No sound issues at all. 

New User
44sunski
0 Kudos

I'm on Nook Color #3 in just as many days with the same sound problem - no sound after device going to sleep, must shut down to restore sound.  This last one is working fine.  Third times a charm.  Exchange it.

Contributor
Kenster
0 Kudos

Had mine for 3 weeks now. No sound issues so far.

Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

Yes, I am seeing the same problem. I just got this one in exchange for a 1 day old unit that had touchscreen issues. Now I guess I need to exchange this one. I was hoping for a firmware fix, but B&N isn't acknowledging an issue, so I have to treat it as faulty hdwr. I will have a checklist for this exchange & check out the replacement before I leave the store! It's a 60 mile round trip drive & I have been there 4 times in 2 days. On line customer support was a total joke, so I don't really want to go through them.

Cheers,

kev

Reader 4
emesem
0 Kudos

Just got one Friday and got the sound issue.  Customer Service tech suggested factor reset which did not fix.  Will exchange tomorrrow.

B&N please address this issue! Recall the defective batch!

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

I was just on a chat with customer service and was told the problem is a B & N is aware of the issue and "we are working to resolve it entirely" and it  "will be addressed in our next update."

I'm glad to hear that because other than the sound disappearing, the unit has worked perfectly.  If I exchange it, who knows what problems I might end up with.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Well I have sound but it is impossible to hear. Very disppointing when listening to music or read to me books.

New User
westytx
0 Kudos

Less than 24 hrs after opening my Nook, I had the same sound issues.  At first the tutorial  video audio was very faint, even with sound bar cranked to high.  Then no sound at all.  Read the reviews in here and tried the HARD RESET option.  That worked.  Even the ear phones now work.  My question:  Will B&N alert owners of a HARDWARE or SOFTWARE FIX for this problem?  If so, how?  Do we continue to use the HARD RESET ever time we power up a NOOK just to get sound?

Thanks for the discussion board.....

Reader
tmwTW
0 Kudos

Got the Nook Color for Xmas, powered it up today and having the same issues with the sound as the posts on this thread.  Guess I will exchange it.  What a hassle!!

Contributor
ScottSVL
0 Kudos

Had my NC for 2 days and sound has failed 3 times. I haven't contacted BN yet but looks like exchange may be the preferred fix right now? I updated to OS 1.0.1. but I doubt that will fix sound issue. Anyone know tech support phone #? Thx.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

ScottSVL wrote:

Had my NC for 2 days and sound has failed 3 times. I haven't contacted BN yet but looks like exchange may be the preferred fix right now? I updated to OS 1.0.1. but I doubt that will fix sound issue. Anyone know tech support phone #? Thx.

1-800-THE-BOOK.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader
Mrs-EdwardCullen
0 Kudos

Got the nook color and also have the same sound problems I will be going to the store today to hopefully get it exchanged.  The sound works after turning off and back on but I lose it after letting it  go into sleep mode and it's a pain having to always restart it.  Also I'm disappointed with the resolution of videos on youtube.. The BN employee told me I'd be able to watch youtube videos but they didn't mention that the resolution would be so horrible there's no point in using that.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

The resolution 'sucks' because the mobile version is really meant for cell phones with tiny screens.  Blow that up on the big NOOKcolor and it can get ugly quickly.

But seriously, you are watching youtube.   Who watches youtube for clarity and clear picture?  We watch it for the lolz which you still get by viewing, even if it isn't as clear as the normal site.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

If you take your NC to B&N to exchange it for this audio problem, don't think that they fixed it. When I took mine in, the rep did a factory reset & then the audio problem was gone. It survived several sleep sequences without a problem. I was suspicious & sure enough, after rebooting it, the problem was back as before. My new one is fine.

Cheers,

kev

Contributor
bnbcar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

well I've had these issues since my nook was registered the first time. I've done several hard resets, tried updating the firmware manually, used the Erase & Deregister button, nothing has fixed the problem.

I took it to B&N B&M today and they basically tried to tell me that it is not a problem because it happens with their stand units all the time if they don't go to sleep right. That's a pretty bad answer, unfortunately since I bought my nook at Walmart, they are making me take it back there. What a pain in the butt!

edit: Also, another odd thing is, if you do a hard reset and then let the device go to sleep while the setup screens are still going on, the sound will come back. It's only after the device is setup and registered that the sound will stop working.

edit 2: nevermind, I'm wrong on that. It's true for the tutorial video, but if it goes to sleep on any page after that, it stops working.

Contributor
bnbcar

Just as a follow up, I took my NC back to Walmart and exchanged it for a new one. The new one works flawlessly. For anyone else having this problem, I'd say just suck it up and exchange it.

New User
dnadeitz
0 Kudos

How do you hard reset? I can't hear mine either.

Contributor
tarrant
0 Kudos

I bought two NCs the other day one of them had the lost audio problem the other did not.  Exchanged the bad one today and thought I was good but it ended up haveing the same prolem.  Looking at the serial numbers the two bad ones had 2005 as the first four digits and the good unit starts with 2004.  Could those with and without problems check your serials? Just curious if that is coincidental or if it can be used to pick a good unit. 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

No audio problems as of yet.

s/n 2004760159732xxx

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.