New User
bbinchina
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

suddenly I can't read any of my library books! only magazines

I've restarted the Nook color twice and when I try to read a book in the library, it opens to a blank white screen and you can't turn the page or anything....no controls at bottom of page either.  This is happening to each of my books!  I can read magazines fine.  HELP  what is going on?  I have version 1.4.3 software and if there is a newer version I don't know how to get the update.

My Nook has been working fine for several years and I have a lot of books in library that I really want to read!  what's up?

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

Re: suddenly I can't read any of my library books! only magazines

Have you tried powering off the NC and then powering on?  Press and hold the power button until the screen goes black. Then press and hold the power button for a few seconds until it reboots. 

If that doesn't work try pressing and holding the power button and the physical N button below the screen for about 20 seconds.

New User
bbinchina
0 Kudos

Well I've tried the power on and off a few times as I mentioned.  Now that last option with the N and power button, it won't cause a factory reset will it?  I want to avoid a full reset if at all possible.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What petesnook wrote should fix it.

Also try this on ONE BOOK to test.

1) Archive the Book.

2) Restart Nook.

3) Unarchive.

If that fixes it for the book then let us know.

New User
bbinchina
0 Kudos

well, I got brave and did the N and power thing and it is fixed now.  so I didn't try the archive solution.  Does anyone know what caused this problem in the first place?  just curious and I am using the nook for travel so I'm not always in a good position to ask for help.  Thanks to Petesnook for the solution and to both of you for responding to me.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

No, not sure what caused it. There are sometimes random issues.

What petesnook told you - the N and power thing. It usually works for a lot of issues.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Glad that solved the problem without having to do a factory reset. Hopefully you won't encounter the anomaly again.

The power-N trick solves a lot of unexplainable problems.  I think the Nooks have problems with memory management. In Windows I'd blame page handling, but I have no idea how Android does its memory management. Obviously power-N does more than just reset RAM since the normal power off would/should clear RAM.  I'm just happy that it works as well as it does.

New User
altodebbie
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for this great info. I just had this issue with my nook color and your great info fixed my issue! I will remember this trick if I ever encounter future problems! You all are great! Thanks again!