New User
alonzoBOOTIEsMOM
0 Kudos

to ROOT or NOT TO ROOT

[ Edited ]

HELP! ok before I begin....wasn't there suppose to be a android nook upgrade coming out the begining of this year! What happened with that? I try to look up articles online but I can't find anything new...which leads me to my interest in ROOTING...
1) Is it worth it?
2) What are the downside ?
3) Is it reversable?
4) Does it slow the nook?
5) can i still access my library & the nook store? &
6) Is it hard to do?! On a scale of 1-10 what's the dificulty of rooting the nook?

Distinguished Correspondent
dgiznya

Re: to ROOT or NOT TO ROOT

There are countless threads on this board that address all of your questions.

Not trying to be a dhead, but use the search feature, and you will find a ton of info,

and save a lot of the regular contributors time retyping things for the 6th or 7th time.

DG

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Wordsmith
mariel9898

Since your searching ability (both on the Internet and these boards) is questionable at best and non-existent at worst here are some threads that should answer all your questions:

See my post here, read the entire discussion

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Just-call-me-chicken-I-am-scared...

Video using autonooter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoHALWvPts

Written directions using autonooter

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424

Take the time to do a real search both on the Internet and on these boards and you will learn quite a bit.

Although rooting using autonooter is very easy and I recommend it highly for most people, since the update is coming in a few weeks you might want to hold off for now to see what the update will bring and if there will be an autonooter for it.

Frequent Contributor
lilacangel
0 Kudos

I highly wish people would quit claiming there's been no update. There was a software update in Feb, it just wasn't the FroYo update everyone seems to be waiting for. People need to RELAX.
Distinguished Correspondent
dgiznya

lilacangel wrote:
I highly wish people would quit claiming there's been no update. There was a software update in Feb, it just wasn't the FroYo update everyone seems to be waiting for. People need to RELAX.

To be clear, that was a patch and not the update that B&N has been discussing/promising.

They said the update would include and app store etc.

We are all waiting on what B&N said they would deliver.

NC is great regardless.

DG

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Contributor
JPAZ357
0 Kudos

Since no one else can seem to answer your questions:

1) Is it worth it? I think so. The ability to put whatever android apps I want on it is really nice.
2) What are the downside? Void your warranty, the instore benefits don't seem to work, and the ability to put books on your home screen seems to stop working
3) Is it reversable? Yes
4) Does it slow the nook? Not at all.
5) can i still access my library & the nook store? Yes
6) Is it hard to do?! On a scale of 1-10 what's the dificulty of rooting the nook? I'd say its about a 3 for me - as I've rooted many other devices in the past. For a novice or someone less computer savvy it'll be a bit harder, but still doable. Look up the instructions for autonooter and if you follow them exactly, you wont run into any problems.

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed."
- Richard (Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind)
Wordsmith
mariel9898

JPAZ357 wrote:

2) What are the downside? Void your warranty, the instore benefits don't seem to work, and the ability to put books on your home screen seems to stop working

Void your warranty - maybe, maybe not. It's a grey area. The in store benefits worked fine and I was in B&N just this past Sunday. And I've put books on my home screen.

Everything else I agree with.

Frequent Contributor
shelli74
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

JPAZ357 wrote:

Void your warranty - maybe, maybe not. It's a grey area. The in store benefits worked fine and I was in B&N just this past Sunday. And I've put books on my home screen.

Everything else I agree with.

I rooted my dad's nookcolor and he still gets the read in store feature and the coffee coupons. He goes there every morning. He has no problems putting books on the home screen. It took me less than 20 minutes to download and root, super easy. Everything stayed the same except he can install apps and the choice if a slightly better keyboard. I am holding off on rooting because i am getting a replacement sent.
Contributor
NevermoreNC
0 Kudos

Having mine rooted for about a day now I can say I see no downside.  The NC does not appear to run any slower.  In fact adding the Dolphin HD web browser app seems to speed up web surfing over the stock browser.  I had no objective data to back that up but it certainly seems faster.  You will continue to have full access to your library and all the other content you may have placed on the NC prior to rooting.  Watch the youtube video and follow the instructions for using the autonooter procedure and you will be just fine.  If you have all of your materials (SD card, NC USB cable, NC) on hand when you begin the procedure will take less than 10 minutes.  The hardest part is getting that *%#*@ micro-SD card in and out of the NC.  It's like BN loves to torture clumsy people with poor eyesight. :smileyhappy: