Reader 4
Shermc
0 Kudos

wifi home connection

Ever since I updated my Nook I have been having trouble connecting to my home wireless.  I deregistered and reregistered and I have no trouble connecting to the public network at my work.  It keeps saying obtaining IP address, then disables.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Contributor
RWMIN
0 Kudos

Re: wifi home connection

I had a similar problem for a couple of hours and finally went and sat down right by my rouuter. On the 3rd or 4th try, it connected and I have had no other problems other than speed. I have Satellite "DSL", ARG!!!

New User
VAMC
0 Kudos

Yes having the same issue.  Have not been able to figure out. 

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

I bought a Mifi. Works great-love it, love it. Yes there is a monthly charge but I am cancelling my satellite (hughes Net--awful & expensive) so am coming out ahead. Plus can take the Mifi on the road with me.

Reader 2
larrynook
0 Kudos

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Shermc... had had same problem, can't connect, since Monday.  

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Reader 4
Shermc
0 Kudos

What gets me is it worked fine until I installed the update :smileysad:

Contributor
marshacbe1
0 Kudos

Same issue as others have reported --  wifi worked perfectly well before update, but now I have to "try, try, again" before I can connect.  Eventually it DOES, after multiple attempts, but what a nuisance.   I hate to turn it OFF because I know it will be a problem getting it back on.  Live a long way from B&N, but maybe I'll go to local library soon and see if it acts any better there.

When I first set up my wi-fi I had to disable security temporarily, until the NC connected and remembered the network.  Then I re-set the security back to whatever it was (WPA/WPA2 PSK, according to the NC screen).   

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Shermc wrote:

Ever since I updated my Nook I have been having trouble connecting to my home wireless.  I deregistered and reregistered and I have no trouble connecting to the public network at my work.  It keeps saying obtaining IP address, then disables.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Had this exact same problem, starting on Monday morning after I downloaded and installed the update.

There was no fix for mine.  I live in a very rural area and the only way I could test connectivity with other routers was going over to  my neighbor's home, and it didn't connect to his either.

It wouldn't reconnect when I changed my router settings, setting them to 'open'.. no password, etc., etc.   I basically tried everything and it would not reconnect AFTER the update.  I've had arguments with people on the board who told me, over and over again, it had nothing to do with the update.  HA!   Evidently, these people can't put "two and two together" like the rest of us can.

In any event... I made the unfortunate decision to follow BN's tech's advise and do a hard reset which caused my NC to become completely useless.  So BN sent me a new-refurbished one.  I refuse to allow that one to update, although I think at this time, BN is not sending out updates.  

I''m not sure about that but since this problem, and others, exist... all which are related to the update (sorry BN apologists and groupies... but it's TRUE!), BN would be smart NOT to try updating any more NCs at this time.  

Also, Shermc... check further down these boards and you'll see that hundreds of people have this exact same problem.  People that have reported that problem here, which means, no doubt... based on statistics, that THOUSANDS of people have this same problem, those who have not come here to ... voice their concerns.

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

New User
mfroez
0 Kudos

I had the same problem, solved it by buying a new wireless router.

My guess is that the new name of the NC was too long for my old router to handle.

Don't like the answer myself but it's finally connected again

New User
manneca
0 Kudos

I have the opposite problem. Since I updated the firm ware, if I connect with my Nook, no other device can access the internet. UGH. I have to unplug my DSL and my router. I'm using an Apple Time Capsule as my router. (I'm wondering if it's an Android/Apple rivalry thing. ;-)  )

New User
tbushman
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. Updated the NookColor last night to 1.2 from 1.1.0. Right after the update I have not been able to connect to my wi-fi. when the Nook tries to connect all internet access is interupted, computer and other wi-fi devices and the Nook still doesn't connect. I didn't have any problems before the update. I've restarted the Nook and still doesn't work. Buying a new router is a rediculous solution, Barnes and Noble needs to fix their software.

New User
tbushman
0 Kudos

I emailed BN about the problem and this was their response, it worked so hopefully anyone reading this with the same problem can fix theirs too:

Based on the problem you describe, we recommend that you refresh your NOOK Color using other Wi-Fi connection.

You can register and unregister your NOOK Color from anywhere that you have a Wi-Fi hotspot that your NOOK Color can use.

To unregister the NOOK Color:

? Tap on the quick navigation bar to launch the menu.

? Tap Settings > Device Info > Erase and Deregister.

You can now re-register your NOOK Color by following the same steps you used when you first set up your device.