Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

Re: 1.1.2 is released

Well I let 1.1.2 load onto my NST.

WiFi now connects to the FiOS Actiontec router.

I'm all happy again.

But I turned WiFi off.  :cattongue:

Contributor
tammy1986d
0 Kudos

phewww.:smileywink: I was one of those that did the update ASAP hoping it would fix wifi connectivity and not cause other problems. So far I am happy to say no other problems have popped up and it fix my wifi connectivity issue. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

I'm glad this was finally fixed :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

It reset to page 1 after I "Eject"ed SD card then N2E.

It could be coincidental because I think I'm the only one this hadn't yet happened to - or it could be 1.1.2 related.  In any case, if this is its only flub - we could call it a success.  :smileywink:

This now happens every time I connect to the computer to sideload.  

I've taken to setting a bookmark every time I put the NOOK down and deleting that bookmark when I pick it back up; minor nuisance. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

It reset to page 1 after I "Eject"ed SD card then N2E.

It could be coincidental because I think I'm the only one this hadn't yet happened to - or it could be 1.1.2 related.  In any case, if this is its only flub - we could call it a success.  :smileywink:

This now happens every time I connect to the computer to sideload.  

I've taken to setting a bookmark every time I put the NOOK down and deleting that bookmark when I pick it back up; minor nuisance. 

I have this with 1.1.1 (or whatever the version is before 1.1.2).  I never noticed it before the 1.1 version.  I think, based on other people's posts, that it only does this for sideloaded books and only if the book is "open", meaning that if you have the library or the home page on the screen before connecting it doesn't happen.

I have not been good at paying attention whne I connect, and haven't tried testing out all of this.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

The epub sideload page number issue has now (as of today) been reported on all three NOOK devices. See my latest comment on the NST Issue thread for links to threads about the NT and NC. It has to be a common feature of the NOOK ereader software on the dedicated devices. I hope the developers are watching.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Contributor
ReformedReader
0 Kudos

It seems to me that this release has improved the distinction between normal and bold text for the Caecilia font.  I noticed with the previous version that it was hard to distinguise between normal and bold for Caecilia (at least for my 50 year old eyes).  It seems better now.  (I typically use the third smallest font.)

keriflur

ReformedReader wrote:

It seems to me that this release has improved the distinction between normal and bold text for the Caecilia font.  I noticed with the previous version that it was hard to distinguise between normal and bold for Caecilia (at least for my 50 year old eyes).  It seems better now.  (I typically use the third smallest font.)

Do you feel that they made the bold text more bold, or the normal text less bold, to achieve this?  Just asking as I haven't installed 1.1.2 yet and I'm still trying to decide if I want to.

Inspired Contributor
ReformedReader
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

ReformedReader wrote:

Do you feel that they made the bold text more bold, or the normal text less bold, to achieve this?  Just asking as I haven't installed 1.1.2 yet and I'm still trying to decide if I want to.

To my eyes, the bold is more bold.  I would be interested in others opinions.  With the last firmware I almost could not tell the difference at all.  So much so that I changed fonts when reading material with bolded sections.  Now, with this update, which I have only used for a few minutes, it seems that the bold text is easier to distinguish from the normal weight text. 

I just double checked.  I would say the bold text is difinitely bolder.  I also checked a small document I created using HTML and calibri that allows me to compare how colors are rendered in grayscale on the Nook STR.  That also appears to be improved.  So it appears to me that the update gives some improvement in at least some aspects of the display.

keriflur
0 Kudos

ReformedReader wrote:

keriflur wrote:

ReformedReader wrote:

To my eyes, the bold is more bold.  I would be interested in others opinions.  With the last firmware I almost could not tell the difference at all.  So much so that I changed fonts when reading material with bolded sections.  Now, with this update, which I have only used for a few minutes, it seems that the bold text is easier to distinguish from the normal weight text. 

I just double checked.  I would say the bold text is difinitely bolder.  I also checked a small document I created using HTML and calibri that allows me to compare how colors are rendered in grayscale on the Nook STR.  That also appears to be improved.  So it appears to me that the update gives some improvement in at least some aspects of the display.

Thanks for the feedback!

Contributor
SingingRiver
0 Kudos

Loading of my books seems a little faster..but I may be seeing things..

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I have to say this is less than informative:

What's new in Ver 1.1.2?

- The NOOK Simple Touch Ver1.1.2 update provides minor system enhancements.

It's the same verbiage they used with NOOK First Edition v1.6, (which actually broke SD card functionality), then with NOOK First Edition v1.7 (which fixed that) and with NOOKColor 1.4.2.

B&N feels no responsiblity to tell us what their updates do.

(For the record, I just did this update.  I see no change, yet.)

Here is all the detail that you could ever want ... :smileywink:

Files 1.1.0/kernel and 1.1.2/kernel differ
Files 1.1.0/kernel-recovery and 1.1.2/kernel-recovery differ
Files 1.1.0/META-INF/CERT.RSA and 1.1.2/META-INF/CERT.RSA differ
Files 1.1.0/META-INF/CERT.SF and 1.1.2/META-INF/CERT.SF differ
Files 1.1.0/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and 1.1.2/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF differ
Files 1.1.0/MLO and 1.1.2/MLO differ
Files 1.1.0/ramdisk.img and 1.1.2/ramdisk.img differ
Files 1.1.0/ramdisk-recovery.img and 1.1.2/ramdisk-recovery.img differ
Files 1.1.0/recovery/etc/install-recovery.sh and 1.1.2/recovery/etc/install-recovery.sh differ
Files 1.1.0/recovery/recovery-from-boot.p and 1.1.2/recovery/recovery-from-boot.p differ
Files 1.1.0/romrestore.zip and 1.1.2/romrestore.zip differ
Files 1.1.0/system/app/DeviceManager.apk and 1.1.2/system/app/DeviceManager.apk differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/AacEncoder_Test and 1.1.2/system/bin/AacEncoder_Test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/debuggerd and 1.1.2/system/bin/debuggerd differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/framebuffer_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/framebuffer_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/G711EncTest and 1.1.2/system/bin/G711EncTest differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/G726EncTest and 1.1.2/system/bin/G726EncTest differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/G729EncTest_common and 1.1.2/system/bin/G729EncTest_common differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/hal_client_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/hal_client_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/hal_server_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/hal_server_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/iLBCEncTest_common and 1.1.2/system/bin/iLBCEncTest_common differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/JpegTestCommon and 1.1.2/system/bin/JpegTestCommon differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/JPEGTestEnc_common and 1.1.2/system/bin/JPEGTestEnc_common differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/NBAMREncoder_Test and 1.1.2/system/bin/NBAMREncoder_Test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/pvr2d_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/pvr2d_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/pvrsrvinit and 1.1.2/system/bin/pvrsrvinit differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/services_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/services_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/sgx/bc_example.ko and 1.1.2/system/bin/sgx/bc_example.ko differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/sgx/omaplfb.ko and 1.1.2/system/bin/sgx/omaplfb.ko differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/sgx/pvrsrvkm.ko and 1.1.2/system/bin/sgx/pvrsrvkm.ko differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/sgx_blit_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/sgx_blit_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/sgx_clipblit_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/sgx_clipblit_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/sgx_flip_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/sgx_flip_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/sgx_init_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/sgx_init_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/sgx_render_flip_test and 1.1.2/system/bin/sgx_render_flip_test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/testwrap and 1.1.2/system/bin/testwrap differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/texture_benchmark and 1.1.2/system/bin/texture_benchmark differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/VidDecTest_common and 1.1.2/system/bin/VidDecTest_common differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/VPPTest_common and 1.1.2/system/bin/VPPTest_common differ
Files 1.1.0/system/bin/WBAMREncoder_Test and 1.1.2/system/bin/WBAMREncoder_Test differ
Files 1.1.0/system/build.prop and 1.1.2/system/build.prop differ
Files 1.1.0/system/etc/factory/barcode_build.bmp and 1.1.2/system/etc/factory/barcode_build.bmp differ
Files 1.1.0/system/etc/NOTICE.html.gz and 1.1.2/system/etc/NOTICE.html.gz differ
Files 1.1.0/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip and 1.1.2/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip differ
Files 1.1.0/system/etc/wifi/tiwlan_drv.ko and 1.1.2/system/etc/wifi/tiwlan_drv.ko differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/am.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/am.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/android.policy.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/android.policy.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/android.test.runner.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/android.test.runner.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/bmgr.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/bmgr.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/bncloudapi.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/bncloudapi.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/com.bn.app.crypto.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/com.bn.app.crypto.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/com.bn.app.deviceinfo.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/com.bn.app.deviceinfo.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/com.bn.authentication.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/com.bn.authentication.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/com.bn.cloud.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/com.bn.cloud.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/com.bn.gpb.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/com.bn.gpb.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/com.bn.provider.utils.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/com.bn.provider.utils.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/com.bn.waveformdownloader.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/com.bn.waveformdownloader.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/core.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/core.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/ext.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/ext.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/framework.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/framework.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/ime.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/ime.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/input.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/input.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/javax.obex.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/javax.obex.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/monkey.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/monkey.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/pm.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/pm.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/services.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/services.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/framework/svc.jar and 1.1.2/system/framework/svc.jar differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/egl/libEGL_POWERVR_SGX530_125.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/egl/libEGL_POWERVR_SGX530_125.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_POWERVR_SGX530_125.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_POWERVR_SGX530_125.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/egl/libGLESv2_POWERVR_SGX530_125.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/egl/libGLESv2_POWERVR_SGX530_125.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/hw/gralloc.omap3.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/hw/gralloc.omap3.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libbndeviceinfo.so and 1.1.2/system/lib/libbndeviceinfo.so differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libglslcompiler.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/libglslcompiler.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libIMGegl.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/libIMGegl.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libnetutils.so and 1.1.2/system/lib/libnetutils.so differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libpvr2d.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/libpvr2d.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libpvrANDROID_WSEGL.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/libpvrANDROID_WSEGL.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libPVRScopeServices.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/libPVRScopeServices.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libsrv_init.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/libsrv_init.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libsrv_um.so.1.1.15.3172 and 1.1.2/system/lib/libsrv_um.so.1.1.15.3172 differ
Files 1.1.0/system/media/books/Quick_Start.epub and 1.1.2/system/media/books/Quick_Start.epub differ
Files 1.1.0/u-boot.bin and 1.1.2/u-boot.bin differ

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
keriflur

It's not really helpful to know that something changed.  It would be helpful to know what the effect of those changes are (i.e., Did bold text become more bold?).

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

It's not really helpful to know that something changed.  It would be helpful to know what the effect of those changes are (i.e., Did bold text become more bold?).

Dean knows perfectly well that this is informative without being helpful. He's just harmlessly showing off. :smileywink: See also this post.

Actually, it would be helpful to someone having a rooted device and intimate knowledge of NOOK software internals. But I don't think there's anyone here matching that description!

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sun_Cat wrote:

Dean knows perfectly well that this is informative without being helpful. He's just harmlessly showing off. :smileywink: See also this post.

Actually, it would be helpful to someone having a rooted device and intimate knowledge of NOOK software internals. But I don't think there's anyone here matching that description!

You are mostly correct! :smileywink:  Actually, my list shows the magnitude of the change.  Eg, some people initially claimed that the 1.4.1 change to the Nook Tablet was solely for the puprpose of closing the "sideloading hole", which was contradicted by the number of files that changed.  Conversely in that case as well, some claimed that the primary boot code changed (which it didn't) to hinder "rooting".

Bear in mind that in most software projects, the creation of released files is controlled by an automated process (in Windows/Linux systems, usually called "make").  This process checks to see if any of the source files change (even just a documentary comment), and if so, the associated object files are "rebuilt" (recreated from the contributory source files).

Thus, a simple documentary comment change in a "definitions" source file that is included in many object file builds, can cause dozens of files to be rebuilt.  Further, even if the actual code doesn't change, often the date/time of the build is included in the object file, and so a "difference" shows up in the released file, even though there is no real code or data change in the file.

To what extent this affects files in B&N builds, I cannot say.  However, the number of files that have changed can indicate (in a very rough sense) the extent of what is claimed to be a minor change.  In the case of the NST 1.1.2 change, it suggests that more than just the WiFi handling (for example) has changed.

In order to make things less helpful, most B&N builds stamp the same date/time on the system files.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
camarossrs

I just got back from my local B&N with the 1.1.2 upgrade and halle-frickin'-lujah I can connect to my Westell 7500 router!

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program................

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

Re: 1.1.2 is released - Battery Draining

Has anyone else had this problem? ....

Ever since the 1.1.2 software update (which happened automatically), my battery drains to 10% ever other day.  Even without usage!  (and no my WiFi is not turned on)

Any thoughts?  or HELP?

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Not at all.  I haven't charged in over a week and I'm still over 80%.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Zeeker wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem? ....

Ever since the 1.1.2 software update (which happened automatically), my battery drains to 10% ever other day.  Even without usage!  (and no my WiFi is not turned on)

Any thoughts?  or HELP?

Not me. I haven't seen any change in battery behavior since the update.

Have you done a power-off reboot? (I hesitate to suggest a more drastic reset, but that would probably be the next suggestion from a first-tier tech support person.)

The only other thing I can think of is to try manually installing the 1.1.2 update. (See directions under Get Version 1.1.2 Today here.) I'm not sure whether or not it will reinstall the update while it thinks it already has that version, but it's worth a try. Based on previous posts here, the over-the-air updates get corrupted more frequently than those downloaded and manually installed.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

So, we know that 1.1.2 fixed:

Wi-Fi connectivity

Bold (at least on Caecelia)

and MartyTX mentioned on another thread that some of the fonts changed (I'm not sure what the exact changes were though)

Are there any other changes?  I'm still running 1.1.0, without any Wi-Fi problems, so have been reluctant to update.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716